General Question on Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajkby52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if when we're presented with new information in a science question stem, are we supposed to assume this is true for the rest of the questions?

Like if it says in a question that if the conditions are at STP, then what is the value of X? Is it safe to assume that it is at STP? Cuz sometimes they give pertinent information, but I'm not sure if its supposed to be taken as part of the passage as true information for all the questions. Sorry for being very general.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if when we're presented with new information in a science question stem, are we supposed to assume this is true for the rest of the questions?

Like if it says in a question that if the conditions are at STP, then what is the value of X? Is it safe to assume that it is at STP? Cuz sometimes they give pertinent information, but I'm not sure if its supposed to be taken as part of the passage as true information for all the questions. Sorry for being very general.

To help with confusion, consider writing out all the things they tell you. That way, you can easily tell what is left out (x).

I would assume that it is at STP, because they are not, for example, adding heat to catalyze the reaction. So, I would assume that they are not screwing around with temperature.

Now, if conditions are stated, I would consider it for the whole passage.

Imagine heating something up at your lab bench, you continue with the procedure. Does the temperature all of a sudden go to -39 degrees celsius. NO. So, assume conditions don't change until stated otherwise. Hope this helps!