General Question re. career specialization and jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do you think the practice area of your first/second PT jobs is important?

Specifically, I really hope to work in outpatient orthopaedics and with athletes/teams. I want to specialize in ortho or sport PT (or both) and hope to complete a fellowship in one of these fields in the next 2 to 3 years!

However, I have had major difficulty finding orthopaedic work that gives me adequate experience in these areas. I've had to take a couple inpatient hospital jobs instead.

In the end, do you think that this is detrimental to my career goals? I really do want to work in outpatient ortho. I feel like I've forgotten a few of my ortho skills and MSK anatomy because I don't use it as readily where I work. It's nothing I can't relearn/study, but I feel like in a way I'm wasting time. However, I need to work and this is all that's available.

What's everyone's take? How do you think a sports/ortho clinic would view me if my only PT jobs are all inpatient acute/rehab, and I'm trying to sell that I really want to work in outpatient ortho??

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

have you considered an ortho or sports residency?

Hi everyone,

Do you think the practice area of your first/second PT jobs is important?

Specifically, I really hope to work in outpatient orthopaedics and with athletes/teams. I want to specialize in ortho or sport PT (or both) and hope to complete a fellowship in one of these fields in the next 2 to 3 years!

However, I have had major difficulty finding orthopaedic work that gives me adequate experience in these areas. I've had to take a couple inpatient hospital jobs instead.

In the end, do you think that this is detrimental to my career goals? I really do want to work in outpatient ortho. I feel like I've forgotten a few of my ortho skills and MSK anatomy because I don't use it as readily where I work. It's nothing I can't relearn/study, but I feel like in a way I'm wasting time. However, I need to work and this is all that's available.

What's everyone's take? How do you think a sports/ortho clinic would view me if my only PT jobs are all inpatient acute/rehab, and I'm trying to sell that I really want to work in outpatient ortho??

Any advice is appreciated!

Not sure where you are, but I read up on Duke. They have a very good sport PT program. It's too far for me, but I also want to eventually work as a sports PT only. Good luck on your research, and please keep this topic updated.

You can't do the fellowship program unless you are an ATC, SCS, or have completed a sports residency. My suggestion is to apply to a sports residency.