General Surgery in the Big Apple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pureride

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every speciality goes through peaks and troughs, as far as number of applicants and competiveness. Being that GS is trending toward if not, in its trough does anyone know what has happened to the degree of difficulty of matching in the more competitive GS programs...Particularly in NY!!!
ie...Cornell, Columbia, Sinai, NYU.

Are these programs becoming reachable for the layman? Or are they still only open to those who have done their medical school in-sight or in Boston?

Can anyone shed some light?
Any NY GS residents out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Even with a decreased applicant pool, the best programs in the best locations are still uber competative. At some of the larger programs 7-8+ residents/year, they are certainly probably interviewing more people & will go deeper on their rank lists to fill than in the past.

Thanks a lot for your advice droliver.
I will be applying to these programs (Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, NYU). I consider myself a strong applicant coming from a weak medical school (foriegn). Although I am american born and raised.

Thanks again for the advice.
I post back after I hear about interviews.
Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Any additional advice to ease this process would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to apply to some programs that are less competative than that list of those high profile NYC programs as well. There will be some hesitation @ these places when they consider IMG's. If you really want one of those spots its probably neccessary to do an externship & blow them away to be considered coming from an foreighn med school. That being said, its prob. the best time (as an applicant) to get a spot at a program that may have previously your of reach. You also might consider a prelim spot @ one of these places as there are always second year spots opening up as people quit or get fired @ those programs or others around the country

what about applying to one of those programs as a DO?

same advice I guess, though I've never seen a DO from any of these kind of places. I'm sure there have been, but its prob. more common to see an outstanding FMG vs. an American DO.

Any students or residents in those NYC programs know otherwise?

Drolliver,

First of all thanks for your relpy!

Obviously, I would rather land a categorical spot than a prelim but, with the information that you gave me it may be worth the risk to rank a prelim program at a top notch institution higher than a categorical at a lower tier program. And of course, the categorical top notch programs first. SOUNDS GREAT!

Also, are most programs funneled? I have been trying to gather this information in my own via FRIEDA but, the information is a little confusing and I have a feeling, not entirely accurate.

Thanks

Funneled? Do you mean pyramided? Those systems no longer exist. If you match as a categorical resident, the program is obliged to graduate you unless you are fired/released or quit. Some places used to stash people in the lab indefinately, but that is not common these days due to financial reasons.

I personally would go for a prelim spot @ a great program than take a categorical spot at a poor or mediocre one. Again, there are always a fair number of second year positions that crop up or sometime a place will like you & create a position for you (at least 3-4 of my former students have done this who didn't match)

Hi,

I wish to apply to surgery residency programs in New York...

right now, I am an MS at a UC in california...I was wondering, what should my USMLE score be? what other achievements and awards should I have?

In addition, how important is honors in terms of residency? it's very difficult getting honors, and I honestly, I don't even know if I have the capability in getting honors (I stuidied my ass off for the last exam and I got an average score, class average was around 86%....) what should I do? am I locked out of these fields such as surgery?

thanks