genetics at a cc? to take or not to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of undergrad BSN for about a year and a half. will start med school pre-reqs in the fall at a university, but I am itching to get started again, and was thinking about taking some courses at a local CC to save money. Would taking genetics at a CC be a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out of undergrad BSN for about a year and a half. will start med school pre-reqs in the fall at a university, but I am itching to get started again, and was thinking about taking some courses at a local CC to save money. Would taking genetics at a CC be a bad idea?

Don't you have to take Bio I and II before you can take Genetics? Or is it more of a survey course and not a molecular genetics course?

I don't think it's a bad idea for non-traditional students. From what I've been told by a couple of admissions people, they frown on CC courses taken while simultaneously enrolled in a four-year university, not necessarily for someone who hasn't started pre-reqs yet and just wants to take a summer course before starting at the four-year school in the fall.

Although some would say CC courses are a bad idea, I think that the grades you get are more important. Although the course will not be as detailed as an upper division genetics, I think it will still give you a good background for the other upper division science you will take in the future whether it be cell bio, genetics, biochem, whatever. Just make sure you get that A, a B at a CC is bad news!