Genetics question help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newbie90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the planet CCR, there is a recessive condition known as
Jambalaya. People with this trait have an uncontrollable
urge to Rock-n-Roll. The two alleles at the trait locus are
labeled R (trait) and r (wild type).

Problem 1. If the probability of transmitting an r allele is 0.44,
then what is the probability that any child born to carrier
parents will be affected (i.e., will rock!)?

Is this the same thing as probability of finding (RR)? if so would it be
P (RR) = 0.56 * 0.56 = .31

wild type means normal correct? (not have the disease) so that would be Rr or rr?
I know that recessive alleles are normally shown by two small letters but in this case it is not?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Its a recessive trait so the child has to be rr to possess the disease. If both parents are carriers thus (Rr)

The probability of getting rr is then .44 * .44

Not sure if I am correct.

Is this the same thing as probability of finding (RR)? if so would it be
P (RR) = 0.56 * 0.56 = .31
wild type means normal correct? (not have the disease) so that would be Rr or rr?
I know that recessive alleles are normally shown by two small letters but in this case it is not?

If the parents are both carriers (Rr x Rr), then the probability of getting an affected child (RR) should be 0.25? The reason the wildtype (or normal) is in smaller case (and the trait in larger case) is because the wild type allele is actually in lower frequency (0.44) in the population compared to the trait allele (0.56).

If r = wildtype, and R = trait (that is recessive), and chance of r being passed on is 0.44, then for a child to be **RR**, it would be:

Chance of R being passed on: 1 - 0.44 = 0.56
Chance of RR = 0.56 x 0.56 = 0.3 or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
If r = wildtype, and R = trait (that is recessive), and chance of r being passed on is 0.44, then for a child to be **RR**, it would be:

Chance of R being passed on: 1 - 0.44 = 0.56
Chance of RR = 0.56 x 0.56 = 0.3 or something along those lines.

Carrier parents = Rr

Rr x Rr
56% chance of receiving R from one parent
56% chance of receiving R from other parent
0.56*0.56=0.3136

Answer: 31% chance of being RR

Last edited:
Read the question again. R = affected, r = wildtype. The chance of r being inherited = 0.44.

It doesn't matter what symbols are used, capitalized or not. The passage will tell you what is recessive and what is dominant.