George Washington MPH (online?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertytrewq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the MPH in Health Policy program at GW but I'm a bit confused about their online program. The adviser I spoke to from GW said their entire school of public health is online but I can't seem to find that information anywhere else. Could someone confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, they offer both an on-campus and an online MPH. Their online program is the MPH@GW (on their website). The rest of the programs listed on their website are on-campus. At least this is what I have concluded based upon my own research. I haven't personally spoken to anybody from GW.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a ton, but I did speak with an admissions person for the MPH@GW program. My understanding was that it's very similar to classes at the physical campus, but more interdisciplinary? There's info here: http://publichealthonline.gwu.edu/ but I think it's definitely confusing.

I don't know a ton, but I did speak with an admissions person for the MPH@GW program. My understanding was that it's very similar to classes at the physical campus, but more interdisciplinary? There's info here: http://publichealthonline.gwu.edu/ but I think it's definitely confusing.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to the MPH in Health Policy program at GW but I'm a bit confused about their online program. The adviser I spoke to from GW said their entire school of public health is online but I can't seem to find that information anywhere else. Could someone confirm or deny this?

Thanks
So it looks like, based on the above, if you applied to the Health Policy program through SOPHAS, then you applied to the on-campus MPH. The MPH@GW (the online MPH) does not go through SOPHAS.

So it looks like, based on the above, if you applied to the Health Policy program through SOPHAS, then you applied to the on-campus MPH. The MPH@GW (the online MPH) does not go through SOPHAS.

Yep, sounds like it. I never did start an app, but I did send my GRE scores to the MPH@GW program and they have completely different institutional codes through ETS (MPH@GW is 0848 and GW on-campus (through SOPHAS) is 5268).

Yep, sounds like it. I never did start an app, but I did send my GRE scores to the MPH@GW program and they have completely different institutional codes through ETS (MPH@GW is 0848 and GW on-campus (through SOPHAS) is 5268).

Yeah, it'd kind of confusing how they did that. Well if you haven't submitted yet, you should go ahead and do it! GWU's deadline isn't until the 15th, so there is still time.

Yeah, it'd kind of confusing how they did that. Well if you haven't submitted yet, you should go ahead and do it! GWU's deadline isn't until the 15th, so there is still time.

Ahhh, I did (we spoke a bit on the MPH accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread) and received good news, luckily!! I guess since COPC is such a small program it only took two weeks to review. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing???) :rolleyes:

Should add, though, I found the MPH@GW people to be extremely aggressive in recruiting. You can see I posted my stats in the other thread and they're decent, but I'm clearly no superstar.

MPH@GW called me initially months ago because I had requested more information and asked about my stats. (I thought I had requested information for the on-campus program, but maybe not? Maybe both?) The counselor who was assigned my stuff called to follow-up and make sure I was submitting (and took calls/called at like 8 PM on weekdays) when he noticed I had sent my scores but hadn't submitted an application after a few weeks; at that point, I was still considering epidemiology before changing to a track better-suited for my interests - and I'm definitely even less competitive for an epi track than I am for a social/behavioral one.

Ahhh, I did (we spoke a bit on the MPH accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread) and received good news, luckily!! I guess since COPC is such a small program it only took two weeks to review. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing???) :rolleyes:

Should add, though, I found the MPH@GW people to be extremely aggressive in recruiting. You can see I posted my stats in the other thread and they're decent, but I'm clearly no superstar.

MPH@GW called me initially months ago because I had requested more information and asked about my stats. (I thought I had requested information for the on-campus program, but maybe not? Maybe both?) The counselor who was assigned my stuff called to follow-up and make sure I was submitting (and took calls/called at like 8 PM on weekdays) when he noticed I had sent my scores but hadn't submitted an application after a few weeks; at that point, I was still considering epidemiology before changing to a track better-suited for my interests - and I'm definitely even less competitive for an epi track than I am for a social/behavioral one.

Oh that's right! GWU's program seems great overall, so I think hearing back within two weeks is a very good thing!

You actually seem to have very good stats. Average to above average for post top MPH programs.

Oh that's right! GWU's program seems great overall, so I think hearing back within two weeks is a very good thing!

You actually seem to have very good stats. Average to above average for post top MPH programs.

Aw, thanks - I wasn't trying to humble brag or fish; I guess looking at some of the stats of fellow applicants is...stressful. Everything's pretty arbitrary anyways - who knows what anyone's looking for. So THIS is why my academic adviser banned me from looking at this site before applying anywhere...:eek::rolleyes::bag:

Aw, thanks - I wasn't trying to humble brag or fish; I guess looking at some of the stats of fellow applicants is...stressful. Everything's pretty arbitrary anyways - who knows what anyone's looking for. So THIS is why my academic adviser banned me from looking at this site before applying anywhere...:eek::rolleyes::bag:

Yeah, I've just come to the conclusion that SDN attracts the really high performers. It's actually pretty stressful for people like me who are at the lower end of the spectrum :uhno:. I just have to keep reminding myself that my GPA is not the main factor in admissions decisions!

Yeah, I've just come to the conclusion that SDN attracts the really high performers. It's actually pretty stressful for people like me who are at the lower end of the spectrum :uhno:. I just have to keep reminding myself that my GPA is not the main factor in admissions decisions!

Oh yeah, totally! I mean, like I said in my first post ever I lurked until I had good news because I don't think I could stand to have no good news at the end of the process - and have it pasted all over the Internet. :(