Georgetown CAM vs. Georgetown SMP vs. BU MAMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeefaithful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What advantages does anyone see in the Georgetown CAM program over another SMP program, specifically Georgetown SMP or BU MAMS. Its the only program of its kind but... What did you feel were the pros and cons of this MS, how competitive was the program, and how effective was it in getting you into an allopathic medical school? From what I understand, Georgetown CAM takes an allopathic approach to holistic medicine, right? Any details and information would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What advantages does anyone see in the Georgetown CAM program over another SMP program, specifically Georgetown SMP or BU MAMS. Its the only program of its kind but... What did you feel were the pros and cons of this MS, how competitive was the program, and how effective was it in getting you into an allopathic medical school? From what I understand, Georgetown CAM takes an allopathic approach to holistic medicine, right? Any details and information would be much appreciated.

I have no horse in this race, but I think CAM is good if you envision yourself going that route as a physician or if you are really interested in getting a deeper understanding of alternative medicine. If you really need to uplift your academic credentials, I think Georgetown SMP or Boston MAMS would be a better fit. But it also depends on how much better you need to do. If you are borderline almost in medical school and you like the CAM program, I would go to CAM..thats my 2 cents

To get into med school, do one of the smps. CAM is for if u honestly have an interest in alt forms of medicines. If you need an uplift, CAM is worthless. At least at gusom admissions, they greatly respect gt smp.

So i completely agree with above poster. However, if youre looking for a fun year, and like herbs/acupuncture, etc, consider CAM.

CAM - 2 h study/d
SMP - 5+ h/d

Members don't see this ad :)
SMP is highly regarded, while CAM is a party program. Medical schools that have been around long enough know that. CAM will not improve your application, at best, and could potentially hurt your chance. It shows that you're not serious enough about MD. It's probably a good stepping stone for those wanting to get a better shot at DO though.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump, and address some of the patently false comments about the CAM program at Georgetown.

I just graduated from the program, and can say that it is definitely NOT a party program, and you definitely need to study for more than 2 hours a day. It is a challenging experience but you learn a great deal about CAM, as well as physiology, pharmacology, and biochemistry. It is also great because unlike an SMP, you learn about things that you aren't just going to re-learn in medical school.

I applied to medical school last year and had a rough time of it. I have a solid MCAT score but my sGPA was kind of sad, and as a nontraditional applicant, I needed a program where I could demonstrate my ability to succeed in the basic sciences. I was also very interested in integrative medicine, which is why I chose it. Last year I had no interviews. This year I have 8 already (5 MD, including Georgetown SOM), and a DO acceptance.

So, no, I don't think that the CAM program 'hurt' my chances. In fact, if you work hard and do well in this program, I think it will greatly improve your chances for medical school. Most graduates of the program will agree. My interviewers so far have been incredibly interested in my experience with CAM, and think that my background gives me a unique perspective. I would say, if you are interested in integrative medicine, and you want to/need to earn an MS before applying to medical school, this program is an excellent opportunity.

P.S. please don't post negative things about programs unless you can provide facts. That's just bad science.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to give this thread a bump, and address some of the patently false comments about the CAM program at Georgetown.

I just graduated from the program, and can say that it is definitely NOT a party program, and you definitely need to study for more than 2 hours a day. It is a challenging experience but you learn a great deal about CAM, as well as physiology, pharmacology, and biochemistry. It is also great because unlike an SMP, you learn about things that you aren't just going to re-learn in medical school.

I applied to medical school last year and had a rough time of it. I have a solid MCAT score but my sGPA was kind of sad, and as a nontraditional applicant, I needed a program where I could demonstrate my ability to succeed in the basic sciences. I was also very interested in integrative medicine, which is why I chose it. Last year I had no interviews. This year I have 8 already (5 MD, including Georgetown SOM), and a DO acceptance.

So, no, I don't think that the CAM program 'hurt' my chances. In fact, if you work hard and do well in this program, I think it will greatly improve your chances for medical school. Most graduates of the program will agree. My interviewers so far have been incredibly interested in my experience with CAM, and think that my background gives me a unique perspective. I would say, if you are interested in integrative medicine, and you want to/need to earn an MS before applying to medical school, this program is an excellent opportunity.

P.S. please don't post negative things about programs unless you can provide facts. That's just bad science.

CAM seems more for the "want to" applicant than the "need to" applicant. I'm sure it makes your story more compelling but I think its ability to overshadow low stats is limited or dubious.

What were your uGPA, sGPA and MCAT? With your acceptances, I'd imagine you're more of a "want to" applicant but perhaps you have evidence to the contrary (which would be kind of cool actually, because that goes against a lot of the common wisdom given on this forum).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

CAM seems more for the "want to" applicant than the "need to" applicant. I'm sure it makes your story more compelling but I think its ability to overshadow low stats is limited or dubious.

What were your uGPA, sGPA and MCAT? With your acceptances, I'd imagine you're more of a "want to" applicant but perhaps you have evidence to the contrary (which would be kind of cool actually, because that goes against a lot of the common wisdom given on this forum).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

3.6 uGPA, 3.33 sGPA, 514 MCAT. Going in, I thought I was more of a 'want to', but my terrible application cycle last year made it clear that I was more of a 'need to' candidate. The program also lined up a lot of great activities that I needed, like shadowing and bench research, and also got me excellent letters of recommendation from med school faculty. All-in-all, it served me well.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I know several people with low stats who graduated from the program and then got into medical school. I think the percentage of students who get into to med school from the program (who apply) is above 95%.

Also, I know several people with low stats who graduated from the program and then got into medical school. I think the percentage of students who get into to med school from the program (who apply) is above 95%.
I was actually very interested in the program, however I believe my MCAT is a bit low for acceptance. Do they budge at all on MCAT score or are they pretty rigid? I assume it's relatively competitive in the applicant pool.

I was actually very interested in the program, however I believe my MCAT is a bit low for acceptance. Do they budge at all on MCAT score or are they pretty rigid? I assume it's relatively competitive in the applicant pool.
I think they are actually pretty flexible in terms of MCAT; historically, I've heard that the CAM program has lots of applicants with higher GPA and lower MCAT. They mostly care about fit, that is if you are interested in CAM, and if they think you can handle the curriculum. If you are interested, I would definitely encourage you to apply!

I think they are actually pretty flexible in terms of MCAT; historically, I've heard that the CAM program has lots of applicants with higher GPA and lower MCAT. They mostly care about fit, that is if you are interested in CAM, and if they think you can handle the curriculum. If you are interested, I would definitely encourage you to apply!
I may just apply. I'm a nontrad, and I've been out of school for a significant amount of time, which is partially the reason for my MCAT woes.
Forgive me for another quick question. How is the financial aid for the program? Do they allow you to work and/or work on campus? I know Georgetown has a lot of scholarships, but I'm hardly minority, nor am I truly economically underprivileged. I'm guessing it's just the fed grad loan. Does it seem to cover or will I expect to be wallowing in debt for a gap year? Thanks!

I may just apply. I'm a nontrad, and I've been out of school for a significant amount of time, which is partially the reason for my MCAT woes.
Forgive me for another quick question. How is the financial aid for the program? Do they allow you to work and/or work on campus? I know Georgetown has a lot of scholarships, but I'm hardly minority, nor am I truly economically underprivileged. I'm guessing it's just the fed grad loan. Does it seem to cover or will I expect to be wallowing in debt for a gap year? Thanks!

I think most full-time students take out the grad loans, which are more than enough to cover tuition and living expenses. I really wouldn't recommend working during the fall semester, as with classes and studying there is really no time for anything else, but several people worked in the spring semester. There is also an option to do part-time, which is a 3 semester situation. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!