Georgetown or Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgetown or Northwestern?

• Georgetown

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 75 83.3%

• Total voters

lk22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got off the Northwestern wait list and now I don't know where to go. Any advice? Georgetown or NU? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

lk22 said:
So I just got off the Northwestern wait list and now I don't know where to go. Any advice? Georgetown or NU? Help!

I hated G-Town (I have issues with the lack of racial/ethnic diversity and their nonchalant attitude about it.) I dropped their acceptance like it was hot a few months ago. I'm biased, though.

PMinty44 said:
I hated G-Town (I have issues with the lack of racial/ethnic diversity and their nonchalant attitude about it.) I dropped their acceptance like it was hot a few months ago. I'm biased, though.

Diversity is overrated. I have issues with people who can't hack it in a school unless it resembles a rainbow.

Seriously, what's the deal? I've chosen to be a minority on more than a few occasions in my life because I liked the curriculum/leadership/program. If people are people, it really shouldn't matter.

[/VENT]

To add to the discussion at hand, I have to ask if the OP has seen anything like a Chicago winter? It's an issue if you're from a place like Florida or California. DC will be much more palatable.

I personally think Chicago has a lot more personality as a city. Beautiful, historic architecture. A rich history, local customs, etc... DC is more transient, though it certainly has a culture of its own and the feeling of history being made. If you're into feeling politically active, you obviously can't beat DC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fed Meat said:
Diversity is overrated. I have issues with people who can't hack it in a school unless it resembles a rainbow.

Seriously, what's the deal? I've chosen to be a minority on more than a few occasions in my life because I liked the curriculum/leadership/program. If people are people, it really shouldn't matter.

Hi, Fed Meat.

The value of diversity in medical school is a PERSONAL and individual issue. As evidenced by your post, you don't think it's that big of a deal. I respect that. I, however, place a great deal of value in it. Please respect that instead of dismissing my comment as ridiculous. The OP is asking for people's OPINIONS and that's what I gave. The OP then chooses how to value them.

There really is no need to bash anyone's opinion. We can agree to respectfully disagree. :)

(By the way, it's not that I can't "hack" it at a school with little diversity. I was fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances into reputable insitutions. I can hack it at all of them just fine.)

Fair enough.

Still, it seems you placed a pretty strong value judgement on Georgetown for being "nonchalant" in their lack of racial diversity. No need to hate on Georgetown for having a different educational philosophy than your own by your own logic.

Sorry, let's agree to have different opinions. I probably reacted more strongly than I needed to, but it's just an annoyance I have with what seems to be people demanding that every med school population should look like this or like that, particularly when "this" or "that" is only defined by one or two characteristics.

Congrats on the acceptances! We may very well be classmates. ;) haha. You don't like that, you need to get on the phone with the folks in Denver and tell them to let me in...pronto! :laugh:

lk22 said:
I'm going to say Georgetown so that I can get off the Northwestern waitlist.

PMinty44 said:

I felt the same way. On my interview day, I asked a student if the school taught students how to be sensitive/ aware to patients backgrounds (racial, ethnic, financial, etc). The student shrugged his shoulders and said "No. You just notice that the patients are different." I wanted to scream "If it was that simple, there would be no racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare!" Struck me as a total jackass and turned me off from the school.

Also, I think that lady in the beginning, Dr. Sullivan?, gives a great schpeel, but that's all I think it is. When I brought up some of what she said in my interview, my interviewer rolled his eyes at me and said "Oh that's all from what Dr. so and so said." So it made me think that she gives you this great speech about medicine and how G'town sees the whole patient, but that the school really doesn't live up to that since other professors don't take it seriously.