Georgetown SMP... why the big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thegandlighs said:
Please take what you read and hear regarding admissions into Georgetown as a Physio with a grain of salt. There will be many rumors floating around, especially this time of the year, as to the things you must do in order to gain an acceptance. I didn't believe any of these things last year as a physio and I don't believe them now as a current M1 at Georgetown.
I did well in the program last year and I never went to go see Drs. Myers, Mulroney, or Sherman. Heck, I still don't think Dr. Myers knows my name. None of the directors have any say as to which physios get accepted into the medical school class. Even Dr. Mulroney, when she was a part of the admissions committee (she is no longer on it), was not allowed to partake in the decision making process regarding physios. Last year, Drs Myers and Mulroney had a meeting with our class and explicitly said that they don't say squat to the committee. All they do is just send them your grades.
The only comments I can see them sending to the admissions office is if a certain student was a jerk the entire year. Then maybe they would say something. Other than that, I really believe the directors are fair in the way they do things.
Just remember, with Physiology being over, and the interviews for Georgetown almost rolling in, many untruths are going to be spread. Don't waste your attention on these things and focus on Endocrinology and Neuroscience. Your grades on these courses are definitely the important things that lead to that acceptance.

In my experience, Mulroney was on the admisisons committee, and she was actively celebrating with champagne when her favorite student was granted admission to GUSOM. Do you really think that they have no influence on the process? You yourself state that you think they could have a negative say on a persons application if that person was a jerk. If you think they can send negative comments, then why not positive ones for the people they legitimately like and have positive things to say about.

For current physios, good luck with your Georgetown interviews and don't worry about this stuff. I started posting yesterday just to state that doing well in the physio program will not gaurantee admissions into GU. I think it is a good program. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad.

So, GG, your stats are good; your performance in the SMP was beyond reproach. I know you chose your state school, mind if I ask where all you got in? I mean, other than what the SMP website says, where do the very successful students go?

BOBODR said:
And what type would this be? I have to say you seem to go out of your way to constantly bash the program. Thats ok that you feel that way but just letting other posters know that you definitly have a negative bias towards the program in looking at all your previous posts even last years.

The previous poster (graham greene) with the 3.93 GPA touched upon it. There is definitely a correlation between ass kissing and admission into GU Med no matter what they say about it. The admin even goes out of their way to say that ass kissing wont make a difference, but in the end they'll say "personal factors" matter. I also did not use their 'advising' services because I didn't really need them.

I, like the other poster, did very well in the SMP. I personally did not even apply to GU Med because I got into one of my top choice schools early in the process, so you can be sure that I'm not negative towards the SMP because I wasn't interviewed/accepted. I am, however, unhappy that many of my friends in the SMP did not get what I felt was a fair shot at getting into GU Med. I don't want to pull the race card either, but when analyzing the student body in the SMP program compared to GU Med, we noticed that the SMP program was nearly 60% minority whereas the % minority accepted to GU Med from the SMP was far lower than that. Sure, this is cross sectional data and there must be plenty of other factors, but it isn't a secret that GU Med isnt the most diverse medical school. The point is that (as graham greene pointed out) admission into GUMed from the SMP program doesn't seem all that fair.

Regardless, I have no negative bias as you would say against the SMP program. I felt they did an excellent job of preparing me for my MS1 year. I have no regrets about choosing to go to the SMP program. In fact I have referred many friends to the program - and many of them have successfully gained admission to medical school during and following the SMP year. What I do do though is give a realistic assesment of the program. It isnt perfect for everyone, and some people end up with a worse chance at med school coming out of the program. The chances of getting into GU Med also arent as straightforward as one might think - it isnt a true meritocracy. If giving prospective SMPers a frank and honest assesment of the program is "bashing" then so be it. People should be fully informed before they make a a $50k tuition/room&board choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:
The previous poster (graham greene) with the 3.93 GPA touched upon it. There is definitely a correlation between ass kissing and admission into GU Med no matter what they say about it. The admin even goes out of their way to say that ass kissing wont make a difference, but in the end they'll say "personal factors" matter. I also did not use their 'advising' services because I didn't really need them.

I, like the other poster, did very well in the SMP. I personally did not even apply to GU Med because I got into one of my top choice schools early in the process, so you can be sure that I'm not negative towards the SMP because I wasn't interviewed/accepted. I am, however, unhappy that many of my friends in the SMP did not get what I felt was a fair shot at getting into GU Med. I don't want to pull the race card either, but when analyzing the student body in the SMP program compared to GU Med, we noticed that the SMP program was nearly 60% minority whereas the % minority accepted to GU Med from the SMP was far lower than that. Sure, this is cross sectional data and there must be plenty of other factors, but it isn't a secret that GU Med isnt the most diverse medical school. The point is that (as graham greene pointed out) admission into GUMed from the SMP program doesn't seem all that fair.

Regardless, I have no negative bias as you would say against the SMP program. I felt they did an excellent job of preparing me for my MS1 year. I have no regrets about choosing to go to the SMP program. In fact I have referred many friends to the program - and many of them have successfully gained admission to medical school during and following the SMP year. What I do do though is give a realistic assesment of the program. It isnt perfect for everyone, and some people end up with a worse chance at med school coming out of the program. The chances of getting into GU Med also arent as straightforward as one might think - it isnt a true meritocracy. If giving prospective SMPers a frank and honest assesment of the program is "bashing" then so be it. People should be fully informed before they make a a $50k tuition/room&board choice.

when u count 'minority' as % of SMP class, you aren't including asians in that b/c i didn't see that many URM in the pix on the SMP directory (but i did see a fair share of asians)? cuz we all know that most asians are not counted as URM. and b4 anyone says anything about bashing or otherwise, i mean no offense.

jebus said:
So, GG, your stats are good; your performance in the SMP was beyond reproach. I know you chose your state school, mind if I ask where all you got in? I mean, other than what the SMP website says, where do the very successful students go?
In my experience the students that got into "top tier" schools from the SMP were the ones that had good numbers coming in. Acing the SMP program might have gotten them to the next level. Off the top of my head I can think of students that ended up at Penn, UCSD, Case Western, USC, Pitt, UC Davis coming out of the program.. so you CAN get into a great school coming out of the SMP.

the alchemist said:
when u count 'minority' as % of SMP class, you aren't including asians in that b/c i didn't see that many URM in the pix on the SMP directory (but i did see a fair share of asians)? cuz we all know that most asians are not counted as URM. and b4 anyone says anything about bashing or otherwise, i mean no offense.
I meant all minorities

exmike said:
In my experience the students that got into "top tier" schools from the SMP were the ones that had good numbers coming in. Acing the SMP program might have gotten them to the next level. Off the top of my head I can think of students that ended up at Penn, UCSD, Case Western, USC, Pitt, UC Davis coming out of the program.. so you CAN get into a great school coming out of the SMP.
Gee, someone got into CWRU. I wonder who that was? My stats are, I think, good enough to get into a school a level below something like CWRU.
Thanks, and I hope rotations are going well.

jebus said:
Gee, someone got into CWRU. I wonder who that was? My stats are, I think, good enough to get into a school a level below something like CWRU.
Thanks, and I hope rotations are going well.
jebus, my stats going into the SMP weren't by any means stellar, so dont count yourself out! good luck.

exmike said:
It isnt perfect for everyone, and some people end up with a worse chance at med school coming out of the program.

would you mind elaborating? or better yet, how do you think an individual who tests exceptionally well (34 mcat) but tends to lag behind in day-to-day studying (3.3gpa) would perform (although i have an idea of what your answer will be.)

basically, here's my dilemma: i'm trying to decide between georgetown's post bac or drexel's post bac. i feel georgetown's post bac would open the door to more prestigious schools if i do well, and i will also obtain a masters degree from an excellent instituion. drexel, on the other hand, might be an easier program in which to excel. the drexel course load is also slightly smaller, although i'd love your input on this issue. drexel is 3 med school classes and 1 ethics class each semester for a total of 8 classes, with no thesis required. is georgetown a monumental amount of work by comparison?

lots of questions, sorry. it's a pretty big decision,

Georgetown is 6 med school credits (embryo-2, histology-4,) 6 grad school credits (immuno & microbio-2, Biochem-4) and 1 credit easy A in the fall, 11 med school credits (physio-7, endo-2, biostats-2, neuro-4,) 2 credits pass fail (intro to neuro) and 2 credits of a class without a test (nutirtion) in the spring with the 10 page research paper in june for 2 credits. It might seem like a lot but the most classes you will have to study for at one time will be 3 (in the fall and two of them will be grad classes) and in the winter you only have one (intro to neuro then physio) so its not too bad.

When it came down for me to decide I wanted to be at the best program, get a real degree, and actually be in the classroom with the professor. Also the more med school classes you take your SMP year the more classes are review (or exempted) your first year of med school. Either one is going to have a positive affect on your app though, good luck with your decision!

Touchdown said:
Georgetown is 6 med school credits (embryo-2, histology-4,) 6 grad school credits (immuno & microbio-2, Biochem-4) and 1 credit easy A in the fall, 11 med school credits (physio-7, endo-2, biostats-2, neuro-4,) 2 credits pass fail (intro to neuro) and 2 credits of a class without a test (nutirtion) in the spring with the 10 page research paper in june for 2 credits. It might seem like a lot but the most classes you will have to study for at one time will be 3 (in the fall and two of them will be grad classes) and in the winter you only have one (intro to neuro then physio) so its not too bad.

When it came down for me to decide I wanted to be at the best program, get a real degree, and actually be in the classroom with the professor. Also the more med school classes you take your SMP year the more classes are review (or exempted) your first year of med school. Either one is going to have a positive affect on your app though, good luck with your decision!

How are you graded in nutrition then if there is no test? And intro to neuro is before physiology? I dont see it on the SMP website, is it new?

Nuitrion you have a couple of assignments (which are not taxing when compared to other classes) on the SMP site they combine the intro to neuro pass fail class (to give you the anatomy the med students get that you need for neuro) with the full blown med school neuro. The only change that happened this year is that the pass fail class is worth 2 credits instead of 1. Finally yes the pass fail class is conducted before physio in january because there is no time between physio and neuro to have it then.

BOBODR said:
How are you graded in nutrition then if there is no test? And intro to neuro is before physiology? I dont see it on the SMP website, is it new?

We do have a take-home test at the end of nutrition, plus the assignments like Touchdown mentioned.

zahque said:
how do you think an individual who tests exceptionally well (34 mcat) but tends to lag behind in day-to-day studying (3.3gpa) would perform (although i have an idea of what your answer will be.)

Unless you change your study habits, it probably wouldn't be good. There is just an incredible amount of material to learn, and you can't just know a few formulas and use some reasoning to save your butt (like in a physics class). It's not about how smart you are. You can't cram for the tests. You just can't. For example, the syllabus we just got for Neuroscience is 620 pages, plus another couple hundred pages for the Endocrinology course we're taking concurrently. And then there's the text readings too, although most people just use those for reference because it would be insane to read a text along with the already textbook length notes in the syllabus. I think medical school in general is just like this though, so you have to do the grunt work at one point or another.

I remember Dr. Mulroney saying something like "This is the hardest and best program. You will work your butt off" at the openhouse last spring. She wasn't kidding, and I don't know anyone who doesn't study a lot, although you don't have to study absolutely every day.

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:
I meant all minorities

that's what i thought. so there's alot of asians counted in that % minority SMPers you were talking about. the % minority getting in from SMP would then be somewhat lower if you take out the asians since like i said most of the time, they do not count as URM for admissions. % minority SMPer does not necessarily equal % minority getting into georgetown from the SMP.

anyways, good luck to all SMPers interviewing for georgetown right now.

the alchemist said:
that's what i thought. so there's alot of asians counted in that % minority SMPers you were talking about. the % minority getting in from SMP would then be somewhat lower if you take out the asians since like i said most of the time, they do not count as URM for admissions. % minority SMPer does not necessarily equal % minority getting into georgetown from the SMP.

anyways, good luck to all SMPers interviewing for georgetown right now.
you're missing the point completely. if the smp was 50% asian/south asian (which it is close to) you would expect about 50% of the admitted SMPers to be asian/south asian. that isnt the case.

exmike said:
you're missing the point completely. if the smp was 50% asian/south asian (which it is close to) you would expect about 50% of the admitted SMPers to be asian/south asian. that isnt the case.

actually if i had to gamble, i'd guess that less than 50% would be asian/south asian since those groups tend to be considered over-represented and do not count as minorities for admissions and sometimes it makes is harder to stand out in the 'asian' group to adcoms when there are so many applying with sometimes similar stats.

i understand that if they're still not considered as minorities (if that is your argument i'm not sure), asians/south asians *could* still be 50% of SMPers getting into GU (that's true) but i don't think med school populations represent the same % of those ethnic groups in the general (or SMP) population - asians are about 6% of the US population but i'll bet they make up more than 6% of med school applicants and acceptees. i don't really understand what makes GU adcoms interview what type of SMP students (this seems to be an object of debate right now on SDN) but i think there are too many unknown variables to think that if there's 50% asian/south asian in SMP, they would accept, or even interview in such a way that those asians/south asian SMPers who end up at GT med would be even close to that 50% just b/c the SMP population is.

examples of unknown variables - like the brown nosing example that someone on SDN has already brought up (i'm not saying whether its true or not). it might be that the SMP directors pick their favorites like someone said, it might not be - i don't really know. i'm totally not into brown nosers but i do know that for some ppl, it worked. i know someone who found out a prof on the md phd adcom, worked in his lab for 2 yrs (this guy applied twice), scored <30 on his mcat and did a smp at this same school (BU), and brown nosed his way into an md phd spot at BUSM and a champagne party given by this prof of ours when he got in...so what if some asian/south asian SMPers chose not to brown nose to get help from the directors (if this is true) so less of them got in (if this is really a pathway in from the SMP). or what if alot of those asian/south asian SMPers choose not to apply to GU med? this would skew the numbers again to less than 50%. i'm sure you might know if this is true or not about your classmates but i am just trying to point out possible reasons why <50% of SMPers accepted are asian/south asian.

i'm just trying to point out that one can't necessarily make the argument that if 50% of SMPers are asian/south then 50% of SMPers accepted should be anything even close to 50% asian/south asian.

i'm not trying to be mean or harp here, just to point out that one can't make that assumption you suggest w/o more evidence such as understanding variables such as those possible unknowns as i pointed out.

While there has been no SMP GU acceptances this year, interviews were given out this week. GUSOM based their interviews solely on your SMP GPA, no exceptions and didnt even look at our secondary apps (our directors admited this today). Basicly some number between the top 25-50% of the SMPers got interviews, so for all you in the program next year it is my suggestion that if you feel there is no way you will be in that percentile after physiology do not waste the $100 on the G-town secondary (which they strongly suggest waiting until Decemeber to fill out.)

the alchemist said:
actually if i had to gamble, i'd guess that less than 50% would be asian/south asian since those groups tend to be considered over-represented and do not count as minorities for admissions and sometimes it makes is harder to stand out in the 'asian' group to adcoms when there are so many applying with sometimes similar stats.

i understand that if they're still not considered as minorities (if that is your argument i'm not sure), asians/south asians *could* still be 50% of SMPers getting into GU (that's true) but i don't think med school populations represent the same % of those ethnic groups in the general (or SMP) population - asians are about 6% of the US population but i'll bet they make up more than 6% of med school applicants and acceptees. i don't really understand what makes GU adcoms interview what type of SMP students (this seems to be an object of debate right now on SDN) but i think there are too many unknown variables to think that if there's 50% asian/south asian in SMP, they would accept, or even interview in such a way that those asians/south asian SMPers who end up at GT med would be even close to that 50% just b/c the SMP population is.

examples of unknown variables - like the brown nosing example that someone on SDN has already brought up (i'm not saying whether its true or not). it might be that the SMP directors pick their favorites like someone said, it might not be - i don't really know. i'm totally not into brown nosers but i do know that for some ppl, it worked. i know someone who found out a prof on the md phd adcom, worked in his lab for 2 yrs (this guy applied twice), scored <30 on his mcat and did a smp at this same school (BU), and brown nosed his way into an md phd spot at BUSM and a champagne party given by this prof of ours when he got in...so what if some asian/south asian SMPers chose not to brown nose to get help from the directors (if this is true) so less of them got in (if this is really a pathway in from the SMP). or what if alot of those asian/south asian SMPers choose not to apply to GU med? this would skew the numbers again to less than 50%. i'm sure you might know if this is true or not about your classmates but i am just trying to point out possible reasons why <50% of SMPers accepted are asian/south asian.

i'm just trying to point out that one can't necessarily make the argument that if 50% of SMPers are asian/south then 50% of SMPers accepted should be anything even close to 50% asian/south asian.

i'm not trying to be mean or harp here, just to point out that one can't make that assumption you suggest w/o more evidence such as understanding variables such as those possible unknowns as i pointed out.

I agree with your points. I said earlier that it was a cross sectional observation with many possible variables and causes, but an interesting one nevertheless.

Touchdown said:
GUSOM based their interviews solely on your SMP GPA, no exceptions and didnt even look at our secondary apps (our directors admited this today).

i'll second this. when i interviewed at georgetown, my interviewer told me this as well.

exmike said:
I agree with your points. I said earlier that it was a cross sectional observation with many possible variables and causes, but an interesting one nevertheless.

yeah, its too bad that those $100 secondaries didn't count much and only the SMP GPA did, guess georgetown still looks at even their SMPers the same way that most medical schools seem to do - screening on numbers before everything else. well, good luck with the whole application process.

so, for those of you who are enrolled at georgetown's smp, what is your life like? it sounds like you guys have an awful lot of pressure on you, even more so than a "normal" med student, if you have to consistently get mostly all A's competing against everybody else. sounds like the competition would be crazy when everybody is gunning for that 3.8 on a 10% curve?

Just a thought for everyone who is looking for advices or reading to get more information about programs and opinions.

The first thing to do is to get the facts and not opinions. Then you decide whether a such program will be right for you or you believe you will be able to handle the pressure.

Not all advices are good or correct. My rule of thumb is heed to positive advices and less on negative ones. Your perfomance highly depends on your attitude. If you keep an optimistic approach you will tend to do better than if you continually have doubts. This is a fact of life that a lot of people tend to forget.

Remember that there will be biases trend in a lot opinions as you have seen in this thread. Having spoken to those who have gotten into GUSOM and those who went to other schools there is a general bias on their opinion about GUSOM.

James

daeojkim said:
Just a thought for everyone who is looking for advices or reading to get more information about programs and opinions.

The first thing to do is to get the facts and not opinions. Then you decide whether a such program will be right for you or you believe you will be able to handle the pressure.

Not all advices are good or correct. My rule of thumb is heed to positive advices and less on negative ones. Your perfomance highly depends on your attitude. If you keep an optimistic approach you will tend to do better than if you continually have doubts. This is a fact of life that a lot of people tend to forget.

Remember that there will be biases trend in a lot opinions as you have seen in this thread. Having spoken to those who have gotten into GUSOM and those who went to other schools there is a general bias on their opinion about GUSOM.

James

thanks for that fascinating excerpt from the latest issue of no duh monthly.

imrep1972 said:
That seemed pretty unnecessary, Zahque.
Yeah, but it was pretty damn funny.

imrep1972 said:
That seemed pretty unnecessary, Zahque.

"..remember, there's a difference between facts and opinions.. people in the program might be biased.. research the school ahead of time.. not all programs are right for everyone.."

don't those pieces of advice seem pretty unnecessary too? i realize he probably had good intentions but honestly dude.

zahque said:
"..remember, there's a difference between facts and opinions.. people in the program might be biased.. research the school ahead of time.. not all programs are right for everyone.."

don't those pieces of advice seem pretty unnecessary too? i realize he probably had good intentions but honestly dude.

zahque and others,

My apologies for unnecessary, overly obvious and generalized comment on this issue. It seems clear that for many of us, it is not necessary to hear such comment for the thousandth time and surely you seem like a bright guy who definitely does not need one.

However, you will be surprised to find how many people make wrong decisions based on opinions given by others. Thus opinions are pretty much useless you rely on facts and make your judgement best suited for yourselves.

As far as optimism and confidence goes, I am just saying that if you are planning to do SMP this fall, you better be mentally prepared. From what I have seen since the first day of classes until now, the atmosphere is quite different especially after interview notices has gone out. There are a vast number of people who have done so well and studied so hard and yet did not receive interviews this year.

Anyways good luck with SMP and hope that you do well.

James

daeojkim said:
zahque and others,

My apologies for unnecessary, overly obvious and generalized comment on this issue. It seems clear that for many of us, it is not necessary to hear such comment for the thousandth time and surely you seem like a bright guy who definitely does not need one.

However, you will be surprised to find how many people make wrong decisions based on opinions given by others. Thus opinions are pretty much useless you rely on facts and make your judgement best suited for yourselves.

As far as optimism and confidence goes, I am just saying that if you are planning to do SMP this fall, you better be mentally prepared. From what I have seen since the first day of classes until now, the atmosphere is quite different especially after interview notices has gone out. There are a vast number of people who have done so well and studied so hard and yet did not receive interviews this year.

Anyways good luck with SMP and hope that you do well.

James

"You say a vast number have not received interviews"...is that the norm or are you overstating that? IS the class having a weak year at getting into medical schools?

BOBODR said:
"You say a vast number have not received interviews"...is that the norm or are you overstating that? IS the class having a weak year at getting into medical schools?

I think he's referring to interviews given out by Georgetown Med to the SMP students.

This might be a little confusing but let me try my best to explain:

1. As far as the TOTAL number of SMP students granted interviews, our year is generally the same as any other year.

2. However, here's the catch: because our particular year happened to be much more competitive and perhaps smarter than other years, A LOT OF PEOPLE got above 3.5 GPA. As a result, unfortunately not everyone that got above 3.5 were granted interviews by GUSOM, unlike years past, where 3.5 GPA pretty much guarantees an interview.

As far as interviews with other schools go, I don't have any real numbers but I have no reason to think what our class is any different from other classes.

In the end, the people that will be admitted to GUSOM this year from out SMP class will be about the same as other years (20-30). But we have a lot more qualified individuals this year so it makes "not being admitted" a much tougher pill to swallow.

hope this clears it up

calbear15 said:
I think he's referring to interviews given out by Georgetown Med to the SMP students.

This might be a little confusing but let me try my best to explain:

1. As far as the TOTAL number of SMP students granted interviews, our year is generally the same as any other year.

2. However, here's the catch: because our particular year happened to be much more competitive and perhaps smarter than other years, A LOT OF PEOPLE got above 3.5 GPA. As a result, unfortunately not everyone that got above 3.5 were granted interviews by GUSOM, unlike years past, where 3.5 GPA pretty much guarantees an interview.

As far as interviews with other schools go, I don't have any real numbers but I have no reason to think what our class is any different from other classes.

In the end, the people that will be admitted to GUSOM this year from out SMP class will be about the same as other years (20-30). But we have a lot more qualified individuals this year so it makes "not being admitted" a much tougher pill to swallow.

hope this clears it up

Thanks Calbear, so what was the gpa cutoff this year about then, 3.6 or so? Also are they interviewing less people also and will your previous record come into effect?

Thanks CalBear for clearing that up. I should have been more clear about it. I meant the interview at GUSOM.

The cut off ? I really don't have any idea, but definitely above 3.5 .

BOBODR said:
Thanks Calbear, so what was the gpa cutoff this year about then, 3.6 or so? Also are they interviewing less people also and will your previous record come into effect?

I don't know what the strict cut off was but I think it was probably somewhere close to 3.7.

Like I said, they're interviewing roughly the same amount of people as years past.

So suppose that 50 out of 150 people got above 3.5 last year; all of them got interviews. Suppose 100 out of 150 people got above 3.5 this year (I'm making this up, I don't know what the exact number is); still only 50 people will get interviews this year.

Now do you get it? A lot of my classmates were under the impression that as long as you get above a 3.5, you'll get an interview but that's not exactly the case. They pretty much list the GPA of every single SMP student and go from the top down. Even though I didn't get an interview, I think this is fair.

As far as I know, none of your previous record matters. It is strictly your GPA.

Rumor has it at 3.75 this year.

Touchdown said:
Rumor has it at 3.75 this year.

Perhaps...perhaps not.

This is probably the worst thing to tell future SMPers but I'm going to tell them anyway.

As you can see, if your ultimate goal is to attend GUSOM, then you're sort of competing against each other (because of the limited interview spots) and you're sort of NOT competing against each other (everyone is theoretically capable of getting straight A's...at least in the medical school classes)

If you're coming here, just study as hard as you can and don't worry about other stuff. (don't listen to rumors, don't worry about the cutoffs, who's getting A's who's not, who's getting interviews at which schools etc) I myself like to stick with a big group of people 'cuz otherwise I get lonely - so I hear all the rumors and I see all the stress-induced episodes - but I can see why many of my classmates consciously make themselves scarce so they don't feel all the competitive vibe around the rest of us. A lot of people just come to lectures (some don't even bother showing up...they listen to the lecture audio on the internet) and disappear (i.e. not socialize with the rest of us) and hey, they seem to be doing just fine.

calbear15 said:
Perhaps...perhaps not.

This is probably the worst thing to tell future SMPers but I'm going to tell them anyway.

As you can see, if your ultimate goal is to attend GUSOM, then you're sort of competing against each other (because of the limited interview spots) and you're sort of NOT competing against each other (everyone is theoretically capable of getting straight A's...at least in the medical school classes)

If you're coming here, just study as hard as you can and don't worry about other stuff. (don't listen to rumors, don't worry about the cutoffs, who's getting A's who's not, who's getting interviews at which schools etc) I myself like to stick with a big group of people 'cuz otherwise I get lonely - so I hear all the rumors and I see all the stress-induced episodes - but I can see why many of my classmates consciously make themselves scarce so they don't feel all the competitive vibe around the rest of us. A lot of people just come to lectures (some don't even bother showing up...they listen to the lecture audio on the internet) and disappear (i.e. not socialize with the rest of us) and hey, they seem to be doing just fine.

3.75 :scared: :scared:

What the hell? Thats insane and scary. Calbear you seemed to be in the know and honest. What happens after the interview? Are previous records used then, what other factors besides the SMP GPA will be used? It isnt just SMP GPA (say top 25 people get in) or is it?

^Thats why I said rumor has it, because its all we have. However, I completly agree with you, things get way too stressful sometimes and thats why I prefer to study in my apartment. So far its worked well for me, I have had 4 good interviews and one more left and they have yielded a rejection, waitlist (top 1/3rd :)) and two are still outstanding.

BOBODR, Georgetown is not the end all be all school; just because they set their limits that high doesnt mean other schools do, some prefer to look at your whole package instead of a number.

3.75 is ridonkulously high.... I would love to attend GU's SOM, but my goal is simply to get into a med school.
Maybe I should think more about BU's program...

^jebus, the 3.75 is the threshold for an interview at Georgetown only, which only accepts 20-30 applicants out of the expected 75 (50% of 150) that will matriculate this year to a medical school; I know of no one in the program who hasnt gotten an interview somewhere.

I'll wish you luck on that waitlist movement and those other two outstanding interview results, TD. It looks like you've earned it.

^Thanks and ditto to you on any remaiders this year for you, and if not a good SMP year and acceptances for you next year.

while i'd love to get into gusom, i'm just trying to get into any medical school.. and considering how close i was to getting into either of my nj state med schools this year, i don't think i'll need too much of a boost.

that being said, i wouldn't want to finish the program with anything less than a 3.5, and it'd be great to interview at gusom.

Has anyone gotten in georgetown smp program with a gpa lower than 3.0? maybe they scored high on the mcat?

premedmaybe said:
Has anyone gotten in georgetown smp program with a gpa lower than 3.0? maybe they scored high on the mcat?

i know some who had <3.0 and is a current SMPer. a couple of others i met on interviews also said they had <3.0 but got in later during the summer. and no, i know at least one of them had <30 MCAT

Touchdown said:
^jebus, the 3.75 is the threshold for an interview at Georgetown only, which only accepts 20-30 applicants out of the expected 75 (50% of 150) that will matriculate this year to a medical school; I know of no one in the program who hasnt gotten an interview somewhere.

There are in fact some people who haven't.

BOBODR said:
3.75 :scared: :scared:

What the hell? Thats insane and scary. Calbear you seemed to be in the know and honest. What happens after the interview? Are previous records used then, what other factors besides the SMP GPA will be used? It isnt just SMP GPA (say top 25 people get in) or is it?

What happens after the interview:

Judging from what other people have told me (M1s, M2s, ex-physios and SMP staff) I'd say that 95% of the time it boils down to your grades at the SMP. So they'll pretty much take the top students from the program. Most people will perform just fine on their interviews so the interview process doesn't really help distinguish SMP students from one another. (once in a blue moon some people DO have terrible terrible interviews and those people are SOL)

Other than that, sometimes people with less than excellent grades get in too. Though they're "less than excellent", I think it's important to note that they still have really really good grades, but maybe just not 4.0 or 3.87 like the top 10 students...and this is how rumors get started about brown-nosing or the directors picking there favorites. I happen to think that these are a minority of people that had a good overall package and they also had really good personal skills or what not. Whatever the reason, I'm sure they had something else other than the GPA that helped the admission committee reach a decision.

Keep in mind that the 3.75 GPA, if true, is an insane number. There's no reason to think that this trend will continue. This is the first time it's ever happened. I think we just happened to get a right mixture of really desperate, really smart, really hungry and really competitive people in the program this year that ultimately led to an extremely overachieving class.

In the end, I want to reiterate that the only way to ensure your acceptance to GUSOM from the SMP is to get straight A's and not bomb your interview. It's definitely doable. Just don't be stupid and slack off like I did.

If you don't get into GUSOM right way, you'll just have to wait another year, which is what you'll have to do anyway if you go to BU, Drexel or other programs.

calbear15 said:
Keep in mind that the 3.75 GPA, if true, is an insane number. There's no reason to think that this trend will continue. This is the first time it's ever happened. I think we just happened to get a right mixture of really desperate, really smart, really hungry and really competitive people in the program this year that ultimately led to an extremely overachieving class.
Oh, the beauty of a one-year program.
konichiwa, bitches.