Georgetown students: I need housing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Persistence101

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to live close to campus and walk to class, or live a couple miles away and drive to campus? I'd rather live close, but I'm having a hard time finding housing next to campus.

Where should I look for housing if I want to only have a 5-10 minute drive to campus? How expensive is parking at Georgetown? Is it hard to find parking on campus? I've never driven in the snow...how difficult is it to drive under snowy conditions? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a car, why not live in VA (Arlington, Ballston, Alexandria) or MD (Hyattsville, College Park) and catch the metro? You could drive to the metro, park, take the metro, then take the shuttle to school from Dupont circle (DC) or Rosslyn (VA). It sounds more complicated than it is. That's what I did for the last few years.

The nice parts of DC are gonna be very expensive. Living within walking distance is gonna be expensive. Parking at GU is gonna be ridiculous. There used to be much more parking space than there is currently, and it used to be free from 10pm fri until sunday night. Now, you can only park in certain lots and they are not free anymore. And if the snow is so bad that you can't drive in it, trust me, they will cancel class.

Jamaican MD said:
If you have a car, why not live in VA (Arlington, Ballston, Alexandria) or MD (Hyattsville, College Park) and catch the metro? You could drive to the metro, park, take the metro, then take the shuttle to school from Dupont circle (DC) or Rosslyn (VA). It sounds more complicated than it is. That's what I did for the last few years.

Hey Jamaican,

How long did it take you to get to class?

BTW, have you made a decision yet?

About 30-40 min?? It sounds like a lot, but it's not that bad.

Nope, no decision yet. :(