Georgetown vs UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neuro101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both Georgetown and UC Irvine. I really liked both schools when I interviewed and am having a difficult time coming to a decision.

Like most people, I really like the Georgetown philosophy, DC is definitely a more exciting place to live, and they seem to have a pretty impressive match list, but the class size is on the larger side, the facilities are old, and it's expensive.

I'm from California, so Irvine would be significantly cheaper. I also like the smaller class size and the newer facilities. I'm still waiting to see their match list, so I don't know how it compares.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight that might help me with this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both Georgetown and UC Irvine. I really liked both schools when I interviewed and am having a difficult time coming to a decision.

Like most people, I really like the Georgetown philosophy, DC is definitely a more exciting place to live, and they seem to have a pretty impressive match list, but the class size is on the larger side, the facilities are old, and it's expensive.

I'm from California, so Irvine would be significantly cheaper. I also like the smaller class size and the newer facilities. I'm still waiting to see their match list, so I don't know how it compares.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/insight that might help me with this decision.

Go to UCI and don't look back. It is cheaper, you are from CA so no need to waste time flying back and forth. I am pretty sure UCI has a good match list. Besides, the match list doesn't mean that much (see other threads).

Go to UCI and don't look back. It is cheaper, you are from CA so no need to waste time flying back and forth. I am pretty sure UCI has a good match list. Besides, the match list doesn't mean that much (see other threads).

+1 for the same reasons

Members don't see this ad :)
How can a match list be unimportant?

SDN Consensus holds that:
1) Your future match is much more dependent on your personal performance than school reputation
2) A one-year match list is just as representative of the interests of individuals in that medical school class as they are representative of the school. There is therefore a high amount of variation not caused by school but by individual interest

It has been proposed on match list threads that one can get a general idea of where students match by comparing the IM matches of schools over a few years, because all schools will have a large enough sample of IM matches to make a deduction from.

All of that said, you end up with something a lot less significant than a lot of the other points stated regarding this decision. I'd go with UCI

The most significant difference between the 2 schools is that you'll be graduating with a lot less debt from UCI.

Besides DC weather SUCKS. Definitely keep the Cali weather. :cool:

Hello, I am a current Georgetown student from the Irvine area in Cali. I was accepted into Irvine and USC, and a couple of other out of state schools. I chose to go to Georgetown, because I felt it was the best fit for me. With that said, there is no doubt that when looking at it from a financial perspective/debt UCI is the best choice. So if the main factor for choosing a school is money this is a simple decision.

For me, it was not so much about the money as it was the faculty, facilities, match list (this is so important, people are mistaken when they say it isn't) and reputation. It was my impression and opinion that Georgetown faculty was more involved with students and had a vested interest in their success. I am very happy here and I feel I made the right choice. As far as facilities, Georgetown is spending 40 million to upgrade its classroom/lecture hall this summer. They are also constructing a new science research building. The Dean is really doing a lot to make improvements to Georgetown.

Whatever the choice you make is fine as both schools offer so many unique things. Both are great schools. I Personally feel the name Georgetown is stronger, but of course that is my opinion. As someone who was in your shoes not so long ago, I would say think of what is important for you to get out of your medical education and weigh each school on that bases. Good luck and I hope to see you at GT.

Hello, I am a current Georgetown student from the Irvine area in Cali. I was accepted into Irvine and USC, and a couple of other out of state schools. I chose to go to Georgetown, because I felt it was the best fit for me. With that said, there is no doubt that when looking at it from a financial perspective/debt UCI is the best choice. So if the main factor for choosing a school is money this is a simple decision.

For me, it was not so much about the money as it was the faculty, facilities, match list (this is so important, people are mistaken when they say it isn't) and reputation. It was my impression and opinion that Georgetown faculty was more involved with students and had a vested interest in their success. I am very happy here and I feel I made the right choice. As far as facilities, Georgetown is spending 40 million to upgrade its classroom/lecture hall this summer. They are also constructing a new science research building. The Dean is really doing a lot to make improvements to Georgetown.

Whatever the choice you make is fine as both schools offer so many unique things. Both are great schools. I Personally feel the name Georgetown is stronger, but of course that is my opinion. As someone who was in your shoes not so long ago, I would say think of what is important for you to get out of your medical education and weigh each school on that bases. Good luck and I hope to see you at GT.

Can you expand on how they are upgrading the lecture hall? Like new seats or what? And will it be ready for the class of 2015? A friend of mine decided to go there and im sure she will be excited to hear it.

irvine hands down. save your money.

UC IRVINE (do a search for more information about georgetown)

Can you expand on how they are upgrading the lecture hall? Like new seats or what? And will it be ready for the class of 2015? A friend of mine decided to go there and im sure she will be excited to hear it.

Of course; Ok so the main/current lecture halls in the preclinical building will still be there. They are upgrading the original lecture halls from the 1930's-70 in the Med/Dent building. Rooms C104 and C105. They are completely redesigning it, seats and everything. The sketches look amazing, both rooms will be joined together amphitheater style with the lecturer in the middle and students on both side (stadium seating). They are trying to emulate the Harvard amphitheater. I think it will be ready for January, so yes 2015 will get to enjoy it. Classes are planned to be moved here when construction is done. Which is why the other lecture halls won’t be renovated until this project is done. They are putting some serious money into the school. They will also be renovating the hall ways and the waiting areas (new leather seats and nice murals) near the classrooms.

UCI hands down! Seriously Georgetown is not much better. Save your $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i would like to see how many of the people that replied in this thread, besides placentasac, actually interviewed at GT.

lol i would like to see how many of the people that replied in this thread, besides placentasac, actually interviewed at GT.

Very few schools are worth leaving CA. Also, Gtown will be more than twice the price (maybe 3x as much after interest).

i interviewed at georgetown (and even got accepted), and i would choose irvine over georgetown. georgetown is a great school but so is UCI w/o the exorbitant cost.

i interviewed at georgetown (and even got accepted), and i would choose irvine over georgetown. georgetown is a great school but so is UCI w/o the exorbitant cost.

Like I said, if its all about cost then yes go UCI. But clearly this is not what students always look at. I mean, last time I checked BU was more expensive than Georgetown BUMED....Im just saying.

Like I said, if its all about cost then yes go UCI. But clearly this is not what students always look at. I mean, last time I checked BU was more expensive than Georgetown BUMED....Im just saying.

Even if it is not about the cost, he/she should still go to UCI IMO.

lol. if i had a good in-state option like UCI, i would have chosen the in-state option w/o thinking twice. unfortunately, i don't which is why i decided to go for the private school (among many other reasons as well). i chose bu over gt because i thought it was a better fit for me.

OP you can't go wrong with either schools. i think regardless of what people tell you on this forum, you will go with your gut feeling. best of luck!

Okay no "my med school is better than your school" arguments. Both are good schools and as long as you put in the work will get you into the residency you want. The point I'm trying to make is that the cost difference will become a big deal later on when you end up graduating with almost 100k less debt at UCI than GT.

Last edited:
So far you're the only one who thinks so.

i lol'd at this.

nearly everyone in this thread stated something like "UCI FTW" providing no explanation at all and even said if cost is irrelevant go to UCI. Unless you interviewed at both schools and can say something useful, your post is meaningless. Some differences a person could have pointed out (but did not) between the schools has to do with patient population, residency placement, curriculum, grading, etc.

Can you please provide another immature response? this thread is essentially a joke anyway :laugh:

i lol'd at this.

nearly everyone in this thread stated something like "UCI FTW" providing no explanation at all and even said if cost is irrelevant go to UCI. Unless you interviewed at both schools and can say something useful, your post is meaningless. Some differences a person could have pointed out (but did not) between the schools has to do with patient population, residency placement, curriculum, grading, etc.

Can you please provide another immature response? this thread is essentially a joke anyway :laugh:
I think both are good schools, but people aren't just recommending UCI for no reason. Sure, gtown has more name recognition (maybe), but this is mostly due to its undergrad, and the fact they take people OOS. If you are from CA, you know UCI has an excellent reputation (like all the UCs).

UCI FTW, because...

1) MUCH cheaper. This is a huge consideration. Calculate the difference in tuition, consider that DC is the most expensive place to live in the country, and goto the AAMC FIRST website and see that interest will actually double your loan amount. It would be foolish to minimize the impact this will have on your life.

2) UCI already has brand new facilities, including a new education building and hospital.

3) The curriculum is pretty standard, but they utilize small group learning, and have new conference rooms with all the tech support to facilitate this. They have issued every student an ipad, which includes your books. They have adjusted the curriculum to integrate this new piece of technology, and will continue to impove upon it. They also have an ultrasound program that spans all four years of medical school, and are using this tool to improve administration of physical exams and making a diagnosis.

4) Tons of research opportunities. The school has made research a huge priority, and the research at UCI is top notch.

5) Improved in the US news ranking by jumping 5 spots, and hopefully will continue to rise. It is ranked higher than gtown, btw.

6) The faculty and students at UCI seem awesome.

7) Southern California weather, and life style.

8) Affordable on campus housing.

9) Better chance of landing a CA residency.

10) Very nice location, close to the beach, as well as San Diego/LA.

11) From Santa Ana and Long Beach to Irvine, the patient population will represent a wide range of ethnicities and socioeconomic statuses.

I think both are good schools, but people aren't just recommending UCI for no reason. Sure, gtown has more name recognition (maybe), but this is mostly due to its undergrad, and the fact they take people OOS. If you are from CA, you know UCI has an excellent reputation (like all the UCs).

UCI FTW, because...

1) MUCH cheaper. This is a huge consideration. Calculate the difference in tuition, consider that DC is the most expensive place to live in the country, and goto the AAMC FIRST website and see that interest will actually double your loan amount. It would be foolish to minimize the impact this will have on your life.

2) UCI already has brand new facilities, including a new education building and hospital.

3) The curriculum is pretty standard, but they utilize small group learning, and have new conference rooms with all the tech support to facilitate this. They have issued every student an ipad, which includes your books. They have adjusted the curriculum to integrate this new piece of technology, and will continue to impove upon it. They also have an ultrasound program that spans all four years of medical school, and are using this tool to improve administration of physical exams and making a diagnosis.

4) Tons of research opportunities. The school has made research a huge priority, and the research at UCI is top notch.

5) Improved in the US news ranking by jumping 5 spots, and hopefully will continue to rise. It is ranked higher than gtown, btw.

6) The faculty and students at UCI seem awesome.

7) Southern California weather, and life style.

8) Affordable on campus housing.

9) Better chance of landing a CA residency.

10) Very nice location, close to the beach, as well as San Diego/LA.

11) From Santa Ana and Long Beach to Irvine, the patient population will represent a wide range of ethnicities and socioeconomic statuses.

Ok good response, finally there is some substance here. I'll respond to each of your points because I feel that GT gets a bad rap on these boards.

1) Nothing to argue about here. Irvine is hands down cheaper and if cost is an important issue for you then its clear cut choice. Money for me doesn't matter (but that is irrelevant to the discussion)

2) Irvine does have brand new facilities and they are excellent but GT is implementing new facilities as well. See PlacentaSac's post above.

3) There is no one "best" curriculum but I happen to find Georgetown's curriculum better with its short system-based blocks lasting 3-5 weeks. A person only has to only focus on only class (but it is much faster than tranditional)

4) GT is a research powerhouse as well.

5) US News rankings are meaningless. If you look at the ranking methodology, the primary driver is research dollars. I think it is pretty obvious that this really doesn't matter to a medical student.

6) A completely subjective point. Hey, I think GT people are awesome. So what?

7) A completely subjective point.

8) This is related to point number 1, dealing with cost. Housing is more expensive at GT which contributes to its higher CoA.

9) I think its hard for you to make that claim. More people from the UC's match into california but that doesn't support your claim.
Additionally, not everyone wants to match into california. Many of the best residency programs are out east and in the midwest. My goal is definetely not to match into cali. But again, if your only evidence is that it is easier to match into cali because you go to a UC, well I just don't see the support for that.

10) Exact same point as 7, which was completely subjective.

11) SoCal is very diverse but Washington DC is also home to one of the largest underserved populations in the nation. Both schools have a multitude of opportunities for community outreach. You can't go wrong with either school.

Removing cost from the equation, the debate really becomes subjective and not just a simple "UCI FTW"

I am baffled how some of you are brushing aside costs as if it's something that almost no one cares about? :confused:

Realize that med school cost increase + physician salary decrease = a big deal. In fact, after talking to many residents and attendings, cost is probably the biggest deal of them all. I can't tell you how many times I've heard and read "I should've stuck with my cheap state school".

The bottom line is that you're not going to care 10 years down the road that you had your preclinical classes in a new building or that you got to do your clinical rotations with a more "diverse" population. You will be out there in the real world and that debt is going to be hanging over your head. Life will be a lot easier on you if you have less of it.

I am baffled how some of you are brushing aside costs as if it's something that almost no one cares about? :confused:

Realize that med school cost increase + physician salary decrease = a big deal. In fact, after talking to many residents and attendings, cost is probably the biggest deal of them all. I can't tell you how many times I've heard and read "I should've stuck with my cheap state school".

The bottom line is that you're not going to care 10 years down the road that you had your preclinical classes in a new building or that you got to do your clinical rotations with a more "diverse" population. You will be out there in the real world and that debt is going to be hanging over your head. Life will be a lot easier on you if you have less of it.

Who said "it's something that almost no one cares about?" I just wrote that WITHOUT cost it is subjective. So, if cost is important (which to most everyone it is) then its an obvious choice.

Very confused as to how you could not gather that from my post? :confused:

Who said "it's something that almost no one cares about?" I just wrote that WITHOUT cost it is subjective. So, if cost is important (which to most everyone it is) then its an obvious choice.

Very confused as to how you could not gather that from my post? :confused:

I did understand where you're coming from, but I think you and I are trying to make 2 different points. You're trying to compare GT to UCI, whereas I'm trying to help the OP make a decision on which school he/she should go to. I am trying to help OP understand just how big of a deal costs are, and that is why I'm suggesting UCI. Hope that makes sense and I didn't mean to sound as if I'm criticizing you.

I did understand where you're coming from, but I think you and I are trying to make 2 different points. You're trying to compare GT to UCI, whereas I'm trying to help the OP make a decision on which school he/she should go to. I am trying to help OP understand just how big of a deal costs are, and that is why I'm suggesting UCI. Hope that makes sense and I didn't mean to sound as if I'm criticizing you.

I understand. I was providing a response to Rhin01. It's all good

I understand. I was providing a response to Rhin01. It's all good

Ha ha alright and btw I like the avatar. I've been listening to C'mon on repeat on my ipod nonstop. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.