Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heading there next week.

Does anyone have a sense as to how strong the program is? Where does it rank compared to say, Northwestern, Columbia, Washington U, Beth Israel in Boston... Is it even in that category? It's certainly not Brigham/MGH/Hopkins tier, but where is it? I never hear it mentioned in good or bad terms..

What's the scoop?

Members don't see this ad.

As a 4th yr at Georgetown I think I can offer a couple of insights:

The IM is pretty strong. In terms of "rank", I think its fair to say that it isn't in the same league at MGH/Duke/Hopkins. I think it is just behind Columbia/Northwestern/BI/Penn.

Georgetown rotates through 4 different hospitals, so you get the university, V.A., and community hospital experiences. Georgetown is a fairly tradition bound program. But I think there is an excellent working relationship between attendings and residents. There probably are only few attendings that people dread working with. Which I think is the same any where you go.

You work hard there, but there is no scut. It is a rare instance for an intern to do any blood draws, transport, etc. The nursing is good and getting better. And with the institution of the 80hr wk, it has become very reasonable place to work.

The worst problem is the misconception of GT after being bought by Medstar. Many applicants were scared to come to a financially unstable hospital. The quality of the applicants did drop. You saw less and less students from Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell, Penn, and other top med schools. And the tradition of 10-12 Georgetown students staying (usually the best/ AOA's) at Georgetown stopped. But the quality of teaching, support, and work really never changed. The key attendings that make the heart of the program never left. So the kids who Gtown had to dip lower on the match list to get, ended up getting the same superb training.

If you want to come to DC, I think Georgetown is only second to Johns Hopkins in the area. And with the upcoming merging of fellowships with Wash Hospital Center, residents will have a great inside advantage into getting some great fellowships (esp in cards, gi, and endo).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it's a strong mid-tiered program but a solid step below Columbia/NW/penn/BIDMC

I think GT's overall reputation has dropped in the last few years

It seemed like a solid mid-tier program which matches quite well for fellowships.

Not everyone goes to or wants to go to BIDMC/Columbia/Penn level programs, so SDN skewed perceptions of what is considered "good" aside, it was pretty good.

My view of Georgetown is that is a solid mid-tier program. When I interviewed there a few years ago, the residents seemed happy. To me, the biggest downside was that you had to rotate at something like 5 different hospitals and it seemed like people spent a lot of time stuck in D.C. traffic because of that.

You have the option to rotate through 5 different hospitals, you dont have to. You can rotate through as many as you want. When I was there, I spent over 90% of my time at 2 places that were 15-20min from each other.

I'd say its an upper-middle tier program that is certainly improving - leadership has always been good and is improving, EMR improving, facilities and research improving. People are generally happy, good size of a residency program where people know each other and hang out, great city, solid fellowship match.