Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSoccer19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestion on resources that would be helpful for a geriatric fellowship? Texts, CMEs, articles, review books, etc. Going back to fellowship after being an attending and just looking for any recommendations. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Burns A, Jacoby R, Levy R. Psychiatric phenomena in Alzheimer’s disease.IV: Disorders of behavior. Br J Psychiatry 1990; 157:86-94
Geschwind MD, Haman A, Miller BL. Rapidly progressive dementia. Neurol Clin 2007; 25:783-807
Howard RJ, Juszszak E, Ballard CG et al. Donepezil for the treatment of agitation in Alzheimer’s Disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 1382-1392
Howard RJ, McShane R, Lindesay J et al. Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer’s Disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:893-903
Inouye SK. Delirium in older persons. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:1157-1165
McKeith IG, Dickson DW, Lowe J et al. Diagnosis and management of dementia with Lewy bodies. Neurology 2005; 12:1863-1872
Rascovsky K, Hodges JR, Knopman D et al. Sensitivity of revised criteria for the behavioural variant of frontotemporal dementia. Brain 2011; 134: 2456-2477
Saczynski JS, Marcanonio ER, Quach L, Fong TG, Gross A, Inouye SK, Jones RN. Cognitive trajectories after postoperative delirium. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:30-39
Schneider LS, Tariot PN, Dagerman KS et al. Effectiveness of atypical antipsychotic drugs in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:1528-1538
Snowden JS, Rollinson S, Thompson JC et al. Distinct clinical and pathological characteristics of frontotemporal dementia associated with C9ORF72 mutations. Brain 2012; 135:693-708

Also have a look at:
Lishman's Organic Psychiatry
Cognitive Assessment for Clinicians
The Mental Status Examination in Neurology
The Clinical Manual of ECT
The APP Textbook of Geriatric Psychiatry (infinitely better than the APA's Textbook of Psychiatry though still lacking in the rarer dementias)

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply, but ill definitely look at investing in some of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any suggestion on resources that would be helpful for a geriatric fellowship? Texts, CMEs, articles, review books, etc. Going back to fellowship after being an attending and just looking for any recommendations. Thanks.
Super - how did you find the experience of returning for a fellowship s/p being an attending? Was it worth it educationally and lifestyle wise? I've also considered returning for a fellowship, possibly geri, and wondered what your experience was. Thank you in advance!

Super - how did you find the experience of returning for a fellowship s/p being an attending? Was it worth it educationally and lifestyle wise? I've also considered returning for a fellowship, possibly geri, and wondered what your experience was. Thank you in advance!
I went directly to geri psych fellowship after residency, and I found it difficult to know that I could be out practicing independently, but instead I was having another year with limited autonomy and salary. Now that I am an attending, I know that I couldn't go back to do another fellowship. Once removed from the hierarchy of academic medicine/psychiatry, it would take a lot ($ earnings potential) to make me go back to the toxicity that is often present in residency/fellowship. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users