Geriatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpanielLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year doc student, and I am interested in geriatrics. I am doing a practicum at the VA in a geriatric clinic. I am wondering how to find information on how many internships (and post-docs) have specialties in gerontology? Anyone have any info on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs I went to had several rotations in geriatrics, even if they didn't have a specific track in geropsychology. I am a health psych person (typically overlaps with geriatrics). Although I want to be a health psychologist, I found that some of the better programs were actually generalist programs that included many health rotations (note: I applied to all VAs, sample size = 17 applications, 9.5 interviews). I wouldn't limit your search to geriatric programs, but rather, focus on the quality of the geriatric rotations (and how many of those rotations you are allowed to choose). I applied to a good mixture, and most of the health psych tracks ended up at the bottom/middle of my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCCS clinical psych program has a gero- focus but I'm not sure if they offer any type of internship/post-doc

I work in geropsychology currently. The best place to look or internships with geropsych rotations is the APPIC site. Going to the APA geropsychology division will give you a good list of post-doc sites.

I work in geropsychology currently. The best place to look or internships with geropsych rotations is the APPIC site. Going to the APA geropsychology division will give you a good list of post-doc sites.

I agree. APA Division 12-II is a good place to start. Your state may even have a professional organization (In Oregon, we have a gerontological association that is multidisciplinary) that can help you network and learn about opportunities. You can search for sites with Gero rotations on the APPIC directory. You are getting really good experience at a VA. Most VAs have a large population of older patients and often provide multiple training rotations working with older adults. I am interested in geriatric neuropsychology and 95% of the sites I applied to for internship were VA hospitals. Your supervisor(s) may have good insight into training programs that are gero heavy or gero specific. Good luck!

Most programs I went to had several rotations in geriatrics, even if they didn't have a specific track in geropsychology. I am a health psych person (typically overlaps with geriatrics). Although I want to be a health psychologist, I found that some of the better programs were actually generalist programs that included many health rotations (note: I applied to all VAs, sample size = 17 applications, 9.5 interviews). I wouldn't limit your search to geriatric programs, but rather, focus on the quality of the geriatric rotations (and how many of those rotations you are allowed to choose). I applied to a good mixture, and most of the health psych tracks ended up at the bottom/middle of my list.

Thanks for this advice. I think you make a good point about not narrowing my search too much to a particular specialty. I have not given any thought to how the generalist programs may still offer geriatric rotations. I will do some general searching too! Any thoughts on post-docs? Do you think it is necessary for those of us who are not necessarily wanting to be a general practitioner?

Also check in with http://www.pltcweb.org - they have a free student membership. The website is terrible (overdue to be updated, in a bad way) but they have a very lively listserv you can join and training opportunities are posted there on a regular basis.