Get a BS or take a Pharm. Tech job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben3254

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I plan on getting my PharmD. and was wondering which of the following two routes give me the best chance of being accepted into a Pharmacy school like UCSF School of Pharmacy:

1) go to community college to take required pre-pharmacy courses; become a pharmacy tech. in the process for experience and money

2) go to Cal Poly SLO for 4 years (I got into this college) and get a BS in Biology or Chemistry and take any miscellaneous required pre-pharmacy courses not required for the BS

Any advice for a pre-pharmacy student?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I plan on getting my PharmD. and was wondering which of the following two routes give me the best chance of being accepted into a Pharmacy school like UCSF School of Pharmacy:

1) go to community college to take required pre-pharmacy courses; become a pharmacy tech. in the process for experience and money

2) go to Cal Poly SLO for 4 years (I got into this college) and get a BS in Biology or Chemistry and take any miscellaneous required pre-pharmacy courses not required for the BS

B.s Or else you'll be rejected everywhere in Cali

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Could you maybe do both? Explore the option of finding a part-time tech job near the school. You should be able to handle a little work alongside school; that'll prove to admission committees that you know how to time-manage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

You'll need both. I wouldn't even THINK about applying to pharm schools in California without both a degree and pharm exp

In California ? You won't get in any pharm school without a bachelor. In what? Whatever you think you'll enjoy learning, not what you think adcoms want to see.

Hey everyone,

Don't get me wrong, Nothin wrong with CCs, cheap and affordable. But in Cali, it's a no go.

Don't get me wrong, Nothin wrong with CCs, cheap and affordable. But in Cali, it's a no go.

Really? I'm from Cali. Take CC classes. It's not frowned upon. As previously stated, you will need your BS/BA in any major. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. However, earning the degree in the sciences would help you kill two birds with one stone granted that you do well off the bat. Lastly, you may not need to take any additional classes outside of the 4 year university. I came from a UC and chose General Biology as my major. This allowed me to choose ANY upper div biology course to satisfy my degree. That means I did not have to take any additional courses specific to a major that when it comes down to it will be completely useless in my future.