get a PTA degree while getting bacherlors.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soonpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i saw the other threads similar to this. but i just started college. going back for my second semester. i go to a large university but a nearby community college offers pta program. was thinking about taking the prereq for the program this spring and take the next two years geting my PTA degree. transfer credits and get bachelors. bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it could be a good idea. You could knock out the prereqs for the PTA program and in the process take a number of transferable classes for the BS. Now the PTA clinical classes most likely won't be transferable for the BS. That's something to check on. The PTA clinical classes won't transfer to PT school so keep this in mind. I will say this would only be helpful if you actually used the PTA degree. If you didn't plan on using it then maybe to get it would be a waste of money and time. Because acceptance into PT school isn't gauranteed it would give you a safety net where you could work, get more experience in the field, then apply again. Maybe a better option altogether would just get a BS in Athletic training and get your ATC. Bottom line is taking a BS that knocks out the PT prereqs in the process.

IF I had to do it all over again here's what I would do:

I went to Northwestern and nearby was Oakton Community College, which has a PTA program. I would have taken a light load at NU (not changed my major 4 times), and instead of graduating a bit early from undergrad, I would take the full 4 years at NU, but have completed the PTA program in the process. Depending on the time I had, I'd take prereqs at either Oakton or NU.

If you're majoring in something unrelated to PT (not a science, but something like dance, communications, etc.), then take the prereqs at the community college if you can (some of them like A&P and bio you'll need for PTA anyway).

I would not quit the university though if you don't have to, especially because some of the PTA classes won't transfer to a 4-yr school. Instead transfer the gen eds you take at the 4 year to the community college for the PTA degree (that way you won't have to take them twice).

Then after you get your PTA degree, you can work part-time while finishing your undergraduate work. Then you have a fail-safe plan if you don't get into PT school right away.

If you get the PTA first, and then try to transfer to a 4-year school, you may be less motivated to finish the BS. Think about it: if you get a PTA degree after 2 years, are you going to want to start taking classes again at a university, paying more tuition, or are you going to want to work a pretty decent paying job? If you keep taking classes toward your BS though while you're doing the PTA, you're more likely to finish it (since you've already put in the time and money).

You'd have to check though to see if scheduling is possible. At NU and Oakton fortunately the classes wouldn't have conflicted, or I could have found a way to do so...that might not be the case though for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
i saw the other threads similar to this. but i just started college. going back for my second semester. i go to a large university but a nearby community college offers pta program. was thinking about taking the prereq for the program this spring and take the next two years geting my PTA degree. transfer credits and get bachelors. bad idea?

Great idea!!!! Do it!! With all your Summer semesters available, you can get your PTA and BS and pre-reps for PT school in about 4 years. Then work as a PTA making good $$$ ($25/hr) while appying to or in PT school.

thanks for encouragement guys. i don't mind massive workloads. so if i need to take more classes outside of the PTA program to help get my bachelors, i can do it!

dancer,
that very similar to what i had in mind!!!!! and it sounds wonderful. i'm really excited.

but if i may impose on you guys one more time. i am faced with the dillima of major. can you think any major(not bio:() that has alot of the courses i'd take for the PTA and pre-req.?

keep in mind that i will be a junior when i get my PTA degree in the summer if all works out. then i'd have summer and 1 more year to complete my bacherlors. i'll have enough credits but what major would include many of the courses i've already taken. goal is not to take more than 4 yrs to complete a BS/BA degree.

or and here are the courses/degree plan for the PTA program i intend to get into.

http://www.hccs.edu/hcc/System Home...al_Therapist_Assistant/pdf/pthaDplans0809.pdf

i would very much appreciate any opinions/insight. i'm perfecting my schedule right now for spring semester and i'm still debating over some courses.

I'd avoid anything in the hard sciences (chem, bio, physics), because that'll be a ridiculous amount of extra intense coursework...if your school offers something like kinesiology or movement sciences as a major, that'd work and may be doable.

I have a minor in psychology, and took more psych courses than necessary, so that may be doable - you'll have to take stats, which is a DPT prereq, and a lot of PT programs require a variety of psych or sociology (another option) courses.

My advice would be to pick something you love, and something that is feasible to do and won't be a waste of money. If you know you absolutely want to do the DPT program, then it doesn't really matter what your BA/BS is in, as long as you get that degree since it's required to go to the next level.

Or like Lee said, maybe do ATC instead of PTA - same kind of idea (working in the field while waiting to get your DPT).

Great idea! Definitely talk to a competent advisor at both schools about your plan. There could be a way to petition for more PTA classes to count towards a major or somehow make your own major in the process. (probably a long shot, but it's worth a try).

good advice on here. i will be going to the community college first thing in the morning to talk with an adviser and see if this will work out. i'll be going to back to my college and i'll take with my adviser there and see if something can be worked out.

dancer,
my school doesn't offer Athletic Training degrees only kinesiology. also i shudder at the thought of doing any hard science as a major!! i can take it but too much of that is soul destroying!