Get dizzy when look at mciroscope- can someone help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

junlujlu

Hi
In med school during my pathology rotations I use to get dizzy when I looked through a microscope. When I used the television monitor connected microscope everything was okay. Is there anything I can do to make the dizziness go away and is pathology a viable option

Members don't see this ad.

junlujlu said:
Hi
In med school during my pathology rotations I use to get dizzy when I looked through a microscope. When I used the television monitor connected microscope everything was okay. Is there anything I can do to make the dizziness go away and is pathology a viable option

Look away every few minutes or so. It is much more of problem when someone is moving slides and jerking it all over the stage. It tends to become less of an issue with time, but for some people it is a serious problem.

junlujlu said:
Hi

also try making sure the eye piece width is appropriate...pull them far apart, then gradually move them together until the 2 images you see merge into 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had the same problem - all of the above is good advice. My dizziness has decreased a lot with time. It doesn't bother me as much when others are moving the slide around - maybe I'm just a bad "driver." Hope their advice works for you, too. :)

I also had the same problem and concerns. Fortunately it seemed to resolve after about a week or so of sign outs. You also may want to consider trying some dramamine, I've heard that works for some people.

Meclizine is a bit more effective and much less sedating. Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) will conk most people out. It's quite similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in terms of chemical structure and physiological effects. If you end up taking meclizine regularly you can get it cheaper in 100 count bottles special ordered through a retail pharmacy. We charge like $4/100 count generic. The OTC Bonine brand is like $3-4 for 8 tablets.

Also if you're not driving, ask the driver to leave the slide still for a few seconds while you focus your eye piece so that the difference in your vision and his vision are compensated. You can also try playing computer games like those involving first person shooting :laugh:. Half life 2 made my friend dizzy but I think he eventually got used to it.

Mrbojangles said:
Half life 2 made my friend dizzy but I think he eventually got used to it.
Dude, that game totally rocks! I was tempted to buy an Xbox just to get that game.

AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, that game totally rocks! I was tempted to buy an Xbox just to get that game.

It is a pretty cool game and I'm not really a gamer. He played his off his computer. I forgot to ask him to burn me a copy and I'm moving tomorow :(.

I hope Half Life 2 is half as good as the first... I'm just waiting for it to come down in price.

Freestyle said:
I hope Half Life 2 is half as good as the first... I'm just waiting for it to come down in price.
yeah, the game's been out for quite a while now. you would think the price would go down soon...