Getting a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aegistitan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a job for the remainder of the summer mostly for the experience. I grew up somewhat comfortably and never needed to get a job, and have been surrounded by other students my entire life that have not necessarily needed to get a job. The reason I am considering getting a job is so I can interact with people of various backgrounds on equal footing, in the context of service work instead of just service. I was thinking of becoming a waiter, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what work experiences particularly helped them later on as a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

do something clinical or medicine related if you want to do it for the experience. If you dont care about the money, consider interning or volunteering as well.

Well I'm already volunteering at a hospice, hospital, tutoring place - as well as shadowing. So I was looking for a hourly paid job. I was thinking the clinical/medical job would come in time, I actually looked to find scribe positions/hospital employment but there's not much available locally that is short term.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try doing sales stuff then

Working an entry-level job isn't guaranteed to introduce you to people from various backgrounds. I mean, you really don't think that you will get to know the person standing over the counter in the few seconds they are checking out?

If you want to expand your horizons, meet people from different socioeconomic backgrounds and interact with them. Your volunteering is already serving you well for that purpose.

Don't work, if you don't have to.

Try doing sales stuff then
I would rather jump off a bridge then do anything in sales. It takes a special person to do that. One time I was desperate for a job and took a position doing cold calls for Muscular Dystrophy Association. Never. Never again. Lasted one month and immediately quit when I got a position as a teacher.

I've been thinking about getting a job for the remainder of the summer mostly for the experience. I grew up somewhat comfortably and never needed to get a job, and have been surrounded by other students my entire life that have not necessarily needed to get a job. The reason I am considering getting a job is so I can interact with people of various backgrounds on equal footing, in the context of service work instead of just service. I was thinking of becoming a waiter, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what work experiences particularly helped them later on as a physician?

How long is the summer for you? I'm not sure if any employer would hire you for a month or two. If you've never had a job then being a server might be a good step because you won't have a ton of options in the work industry as an entry-level employee. I don't think it will help you relate to people from different socioeconomic backgrounds because of limited interactions but you will have patients that complain and make a fuss despite you busting your butt for them. This happens in the service industry and being able to keep your cool during that kind of situation while still going about your job is a good skill to develop. Realizing that people are just people and they have bad days, strange expectations, like to complain, etc but it's not a reflection of you is a good skill to develop. Besides making your own money makes you respect money in a different way. When I go to spend $100 on something, I calculate how much time I spent working and if that was worth it. My parents haven't paid for anything since I was 16 so I don't know how to relate to any other kind of mentality about money. Lastly, even the job application process develops a good set of skills. You'll have the opportunity to practice interviews (obviously more informal than med school) and handle rejections.

Good luck!