Other OT-Related Information Getting a Master Degree will improve my chances in getting into OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning!!! I know I know.....I'm posting again.....but I'm came to conclusion do I really want to pay over 100,000 in student loans for OT school. So I decided that I'm going to get an Masters degree in Public Health then apply to OT schools (Alabama State University, Tennessee State University, FAMU, Cleveland State University, and Oklahoma University)......Students are only offered 20,500 each year for aid.........When you go to universities like Creighton or Abilene Christian University........you have to come out of pocket.......The debt just hit with these schools.....

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I could urge you any more strongly not to do this. Retake prerequisites, boost your GPA, shadow more - a masters degree is incredibly expensive and you're to, at best, marginally improve your application. I really can't stress enough, please don't do that just to improve your chances of OT school.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Morning!!! I know I know.....I'm posting again.....but I'm came to conclusion do I really want to pay over 100,000 in student loans for OT school. So I decided that I'm going to get an Masters degree in Public Health then apply to OT schools (Alabama State University, Tennessee State University, FAMU, Cleveland State University, and Oklahoma University)......Students are only offered 20,500 each year for aid.........When you go to universities like Creighton or Abilene Christian University........you have to come out of pocket.......The debt just hit with these schools.....
I agree with inari87 100%, and the expensive schools like Creighton offer loans that also cover your living while you are in school and if you manage it right you may not end spending every penny so that is money you might be able to squeeze in towards future loan repayments. I personally just plan on working a lot of hours when I first finish school and live conservatively, you'd be surprise how quickly you can pay off that debt if you manage it right. even 10-15 years worth of sizable debt (which is about what 100k+ is if you manage your cash right) is well worth a lifetime of being in a rewarding career that benefit you, your family, and the community in so many ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite frankly it sounds like a waste of time and money to get an MA in something only to apply to your MOT program. If you had said you wanted a masters degree in social work or psychology to compliment your masters in OT I suppose that would be a different discussion.
You can probably register at your local college or community college and retake courses you feel you could do better in and reapply again?
I just figure if I get a master degree then schools will see how much I improve. I don't know what classes to take over except for Biology and Oral communications. The rest of my grades are A's and B's so I figure getting a masters might help. People are telling me to get a second bachelors degree. It will take at least another year for me to get an second bachelors degree. Wichita State University offers an Aging Studies degree for under 10,000 dollars. Ft. Hayes State University offers an Masters degree in Liberal Arts with concentration in health science or Aging Studies and their tuition is only 6,000 dollars an year which is dirt cheap......I don't know. Some schools what get over the fact you have low gpa for undergraduate.......

I don't think I could urge you any more strongly not to do this. Retake prerequisites, boost your GPA, shadow more - a masters degree is incredibly expensive and you're to, at best, marginally improve your application. I really can't stress enough, please don't do that just to improve your chances of OT school.
I just figure if I get a master degree then schools will see how much I improve. I don't know what classes to take over except for Biology and Oral communications. The rest of my grades are A's and B's so I figure getting a masters might help. People are telling me to get a second bachelors degree. It will take at least another year for me to get an second bachelors degree. Wichita State University offers an Aging Studies degree for under 10,000 dollars. Ft. Hayes State University offers an Masters degree in Liberal Arts with concentration in health science or Aging Studies and their tuition is only 6,000 dollars an year which is dirt cheap......I don't know. Some schools what get over the fact you have low gpa for undergraduate.......

If you're this committed to getting into OT school, perhaps you should consider widening your school search and be willing to travel or relocate for two or three years to a less competitive program. I don't know what your family situation is, but that seems more reasonable that what you're suggesting. I know its probably frustrating hearing all of us be so negative, but from what little I know about you, it sure seems like there are some very rash decisions being made here. And not to be even more of a wet blanket, but have you considered what you would do if you still didn't get in even after completing one of those master's programs? Are those careers you'd be happy with if the OT thing still didn't pan out?

I know the application process sucks. I know the rejection sucks. Took me 3.5 years from the time I decided to make this move to finally start a program. Just trying to be the voice of reason for you...good luck.

Last edited:

Are your prerequisites all A's? This is competitive stuff. Sometimes Bs aren't good enough. Get more As in prerequisites - it'll be way more valuable than another masters.

If you're this committed to getting into OT school, perhaps you should consider widening your school search and be willing to travel or relocate for two or three years to a less competitive program. I don't know what your family situation is, but that seems more reasonable that what you're suggesting. I know its probably frustrating hearing all of us be so negative, but from what little I know about you, it sure seems like there are some very rash decisions being made here. And not to be even more of a wet blanket, but have you considered what you would do if you still didn't get in even after completing one of those master's programs? Are those careers you'd be happy with if the OT thing still didn't pan out?

I know the application process sucks. I know the rejection sucks. Took me 3.5 years from the time I decided to make this move to finally start a program. Just trying to be the voice of reason for you...good luck.
Oh I have no kids......I'm never been far away form family.......

Check with the schools you are interested in to see if they even weigh the completion of a previous master's degree in the admission process. Some schools do not factor in master's degree grades for fairness. This thread includes an example.

Your plan will require a lot of work and money without a guaranteed payoff. In fact, it is likely to harm you by putting you in debt and taking time away from other things that are more likely to help your application (shadowing, all A prereqs, good GRE, etc). I know you posted here to share your idea and you didn't specifically ask for advice. However, it would be to your benefit to think about the negative feedback you've received on this thread and how you can use it to find a find a more effective path for yourself.

I think you are better off completing an OTA program and getting into OT school than you are completing a Master's program and getting into OT school. If I don't get into the OT schools I applied to, I have applied to a few OTA schools as a back-up plan. I have no desire to apply year after year and hope that I'll eventually get into grad school. Some people on here have been trying for years, and still nothing. It's not a risk I am willing to take. This was my first time applying, but my goal is to be in some sort of OT related program by the summer/fall. If I need to become an OTA and then apply to OT grad school then so be it. I think by that time I will have a better chance of getting into grad school. There's also that possibility that my employer will pay some of my tuition in order to go back to school and become a licensed OT. OTA's make about 50 grand a year, which isn't bad. I think my chances of getting into an ot assistant program are much greater than most because I have a bachelor's degree and most of these programs only require a high school degree.

Going for your Master's and then getting into OT school just seems like a lot of wasted work and money. At least by going to OTA school, I can come out with a job making 50 grand a year and also improve my chances of getting into a grad program.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
As pretty much everyone posted above, this sounds like a costly, roundabout route with no guarantees. Realistically speaking, if you do not get into OT school, you will still have the tuition from the other Masters degree. If you do get into OT school, you will have both tuitions to worry about. If you do not get into OT school for this cycle, I would advise you to work part-time and re-take some pre-reqs. That way, you're EARNING money and OT programs will see that you can balance a job with school.

As pretty much everyone posted above, this sounds like a costly, roundabout route with no guarantees. Realistically speaking, if you do not get into OT school, you will still have the tuition from the other Masters degree. If you do get into OT school, you will have both tuitions to worry about. If you do not get into OT school for this cycle, I would advise you to work part-time and re-take some pre-reqs. That way, you're EARNING money and OT programs will see that you can balance a job with school.
I'm already working full time.....and going to school full time....I've already got denied form one program...I can't afford to just work part time...

I think you are better off completing an OTA program and getting into OT school than you are completing a Master's program and getting into OT school. If I don't get into the OT schools I applied to, I have applied to a few OTA schools as a back-up plan. I have no desire to apply year after year and hope that I'll eventually get into grad school. Some people on here have been trying for years, and still nothing. It's not a risk I am willing to take. This was my first time applying, but my goal is to be in some sort of OT related program by the summer/fall. If I need to become an OTA and then apply to OT grad school then so be it. I think by that time I will have a better chance of getting into grad school. There's also that possibility that my employer will pay some of my tuition in order to go back to school and become a licensed OT. OTA's make about 50 grand a year, which isn't bad. I think my chances of getting into an ot assistant program are much greater than most because I have a bachelor's degree and most of these programs only require a high school degree.

Going for your Master's and then getting into OT school just seems like a lot of wasted work and money. At least by going to OTA school, I can come out with a job making 50 grand a year and also improve my chances of getting into a grad program.

Best of luck!
Yes I like your answer!! I've applied to one OTA program. I'm looking into Brown Mackie but I'm not sure about them..........I would like to go to TWU bridge program if I do get into a OTA program. Thanks. Let me know...I just don't have the time and patience to wait an whole year but I will only apply to two programs next year if I don't get in this year...Best of luck to you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already working full time.....and going to school full time....I've already got denied form one program...I can't afford to just work part time...

Personally, if I was in your position, I would continue to work full-time until I would get into a program. I just can't see why anyone would want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars and all of that time on a degree just to make an application look better for a different degree program. That's just me.

Then you really can't afford to waste money on a pointless masters degree.

Speaking as someone who has a 3.8 in a Master's degree in an unrelated field, it doesn't mean a whole lot when your undergraduate GPA is low.

During your year of waiting, try finding a job as a rehab aide. That would look very good to an OT school.

I would also suggest becoming an OTA. Your earning potential is fairly good, and there are multiple pathways to getting an OT degree from there. If you were working full-time as an OTA, many employers would pay tuition to go to a weekend or online COTA->OT bridge program.

Retake any class you got below an A- in.

CurlyHairedGilr- I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, since it doesn't look like I have been accepted to any programs at this point- I am probably going to go the COTA route. In NJ- we only have one accredited choice. I don't think of it as going backwards for an associate degree, instead it is a way of reaching my goal to do OT. And yes, then there are always options to pursue my Masters at some point. At first I was hung up on getting my masters, but I believe looking at the bigger picture is necessary.

Yes I like your answer!! I've applied to one OTA program. I'm looking into Brown Mackie but I'm not sure about them..........I would like to go to TWU bridge program if I do get into a OTA program. Thanks. Let me know...I just don't have the time and patience to wait an whole year but I will only apply to two programs next year if I don't get in this year...Best of luck to you too.

I have applied to around 3-4 OTA schools? I think it's 3 haha, it's all a blur sometimes. The last one I applied (Harcum College) to seems like it will be the first to give me a decision..... I will hear from them first week of April. I also applied to programs at Penn State and Pennsylvania College of Technology (which is actually a division of Penn State). I won't hear from the other two until June or so. I don't want to sit around and wait any longer, I want to be in school. I completed my bachelors in May so I have been out of school since then. I sent in my final admissions essay today, so now the wait begins!

I started to panic once I received a rejection from one of the schools I applied to and had to figure out a plan B. Plan B= OTA!

I have applied to around 3-4 OTA schools? I think it's 3 haha, it's all a blur sometimes. The last one I applied (Harcum College) to seems like it will be the first to give me a decision..... I will hear from them first week of April. I also applied to programs at Penn State and Pennsylvania College of Technology (which is actually a division of Penn State). I won't hear from the other two until June or so. I don't want to sit around and wait any longer, I want to be in school. I completed my bachelors in May so I have been out of school since then. I sent in my final admissions essay today, so now the wait begins!

I started to panic once I received a rejection from one of the schools I applied to and had to figure out a plan B. Plan B= OTA!
Yes I've applied to OTA programs too but the only thing that is stopping me is the drive.....The programs are about 1 to 2 hours...I'm stuck.........I don't know what to do.

CurlyHairedGilr- I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, since it doesn't look like I have been accepted to any programs at this point- I am probably going to go the COTA route. In NJ- we only have one accredited choice. I don't think of it as going backwards for an associate degree, instead it is a way of reaching my goal to do OT. And yes, then there are always options to pursue my Masters at some point. At first I was hung up on getting my masters, but I believe looking at the bigger picture is necessary.
Do you think driving two hours or an 1 hour a day for class is worth it for an OTA program?? It's just the distance thing. It's Brown Mackie College........I've taken all of my general education classes at an community college so they will transfer.

That's the position I am too. Except I think there's one about 35 to 45 min away from me. The others I would have to live away at which I don't want to do. But living away is last resort. If it's drive an hour or no school I would drive in order to be in a program.

I've found out that the OTCAS gpa calculations that schools look at most don't include master's degree level coursework. Which means my GPA is .2 points lower that way. So DON'T get a masters degree.

I've only skimmed some of these posts so I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not but one idea is to start volunteering/working in an area that might be different than a lot of other students applying. I believe one of the reasons I got accepted to three out of the four schools I applied to was because I have been working as a victim advocate for a domestic violence/sexual assault agency since 2009 and have served as the victim advocate for our police department. (I did have a 3.8 gpa as well though.) When I toured some of the schools before I applied, one thing they told me was that alongside the normal stuff (gpa, essay etc.) they look for people who have unique backgrounds and could bring a different perspective into the program. During my interviews and essays, I was able to tie my background in social work into the OT field very easily with working with diverse populations, people who have gone through traumatic events, working as part of a team, etc. I also take my dog into the rehab unit at the hospital and into nursing homes and schools for pet therapy. Just a thought! :) Good luck with everything!

I've got a *very* unique background in a variety of ways (age, previous career, informal volunteer with poverty/inequality issues, international experience, hobbies, personal health history), but I wasn't sure how to bring that into my essay and/or interview. And the explanation of how I wound up letting alcoholic or mentally ill homeless people sleep on my couch is complicated and potentially controversial.

I did mention about 1/3 of the things in my essay and a little bit more in the one interview I've done.

I think that sharing that in an essay could raise some serious red flags about boundaries.

lol. i think @CurlyHairedGirl could talk about some of her experiences in her OT essay and make it relatable. namely, how her volunteer work shows her compassion or how her international experience shows her ability to work with diverse populations. it's all about relating it back to the same qualities that make an OT successful.

As a slightly more detailed description, for a while I worked in downtown Washington DC, and had a 2 bedroom apartment way out in the suburbs. There are a lot of underemployed people who are idealistic and come to DC to protest something or other. The Keystone Pipeline, the first day of the session of Congress, pro-choice, anti-abortion, wanting global peace, not liking the president, whatever. Or they come for an internship but don't get a full-time job. Some of those people decide that they want to stay in DC and protest something, but they can't afford a place to live. So they crash on people's couches, squat illegally in abandoned houses, sleep outside the white house while holding up signs, have a pajama party outside Bank of America protesting illegal foreclosures (and stay up most of the night) or go to churches or shelters on cold nights.

I was curious about some of what they were protesting but didn't necessarily agree with the wide variety of views from people who were socialist, libertarian or anarchist, some strong religious viewpoint or position on abortion. On cold, rainy nights, as I was driving home, I would occasionally let people (who I casually knew from political work) crash on my living room futon and do laundry. At least two of those people turned out to be long-term homeless people who were hanging out with protesters because the cops bothered them less. One of the homeless guys said that he was the stepson of a governor and had been temporarily appointed a senator when somebody had died in office. I tried to get him to trim his hair or beard because I thought he was a homeless person, not realizing that he was. I later figured out that he probably had Wernike-Korsikoff syndrome. I checked out his story on Wikipedia, figuring that it would be more reliable than he was.

The only person I let stay more than a couple nights was a woman who had come to DC for an internship, worked in a grocery store after the internship ended, lost her job, had been sleeping on various people's couches for a while, and then living illegally in a squat with some activists. She was kicked out of the squat for getting in a big argument, telling someone they shouldn't be smoking indoors in a sleeping area.

I knew she had mental health issues, but had just gotten Medicaid in DC. So I thought I would help her navigate the social service network in order to find the health care she needed. I also thought that since she was very trusting and naive, she would probably end up getting raped if she lived on the street. I found out later that she had been in psychiatric hospitals multiple times lasting from a couple weeks to a month. Since I was taking abnormal psychology at the time, I thought that maybe I would have more awareness to help her. I even went with her to one of her psychiatrist visits.

During a previous bout of depression, she had spent over a year living in transitional housing associated with a church while unsuccessfully looking for a job. I kept suggesting that she look for a more realistic job, instead of the dream job she wanted coming out of the internship, but she said that those types of jobs only made her more depressed. She did find one part time minimum wage job in a shopping center where I lived, but that was barely enough to take care of minimal personal expenses, much less a place to live. She wasn't interested in going to any of the women's shelters or transitional housing, because she said she wouldn't survive there.

Ironically, there had been a time earlier when she had been in a city-run mental health facility and they had been unwilling to release her because she wouldn't tell them where she was living (illegally at the squat). I signed to let her out, and then called later and spent lots of time arguing with the facility because they gave her only 3 days worth of medication and no prescription for refills. If I hadn't picked her up, most likely they would have transferred her to a transitional housing facility that only took people who had been sent there from a local social service agency.

After about 4 months, I realized that she wasn't interested in my help. She had a habit of suddenly deciding that people (especially people in the social service fields like her case worker or therapist or prior pastoral counselor) were mean and out to get her. So she wouldn't seek help from any of those sources. While I was at work, I saw that she was spending lots of time on Facebook (instead of job hunting) expressing what I felt were extreme views on abortion that I didn't agree with. She would bring up those views and randomly post them on other peoples walls that she'd previously disagreed with. I eventually set a deadline and told her that she needed to find another place to stay, because my parents were coming to visit. I neglected to say that even though my parents hadn't set definite dates, that they wouldn't be coming for at least a month or two.