Getting acadademic position w/o any personal contacts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramed2premed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a position at an ED with a residency. Despite being geographically close to where I trained (3 hour drive), it doesn't seem as though any of the folks from my residency know anyone there.

So, with no one to "make a call" for me (i.e. vouch that I am reasonably well-kept and articulate), does anyone have any suggestions besides "cold-calling" the director/chair?

Members don't see this ad.

Email the medical director and department chair with a cover letter and your CV. Follow up in 3 weeks if you haven't heard anything from either one.

Members don't see this ad :)
If location is no object, there are many, many academic institutions advertising openings in various publications.
Unless something is much different from before it doesnt seem that getting an academic job is that huge of a deal. have things changed that much?

If location is no object, there are many, many academic institutions advertising openings in various publications.

Ah, but location is indeed an object in this case... Thanks for the feedback!

ACEP is coming up - perhaps you could make some contacts there?