Getting accept to medical school in Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnSnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit: Oops! Title should be 'Getting accepted** to medical school in Ireland?' sorry about the error.

What kind of MCAT do you need?

The Atlantic Bridge website makes it sounds like there isn't a huge emphasis on GPA "because GPA can be very subjective, the Irish Medical Schools do not typically use guidelines around GPA for admissions purposes".

I've got a bachelor's degree with a low GPA from a US university.

I'm looking at the 4-year programs at Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, University College Dublin, University of Limerick, and University College Cork and the 5-year programs at the National University of Ireland in Galway and Trinity College Dublin.

It is my understanding that NUIG & TCD don't require the MCAT, does this mean that they do not look at it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advice is to call the Atlantic Bridge Program and ask your questions to one of their representatives. I called twice last admissions cycle and found the ABP representative to be helpful and accessible

Good luck..

In terms of MCAT score, I would say a minimum of 27 (better of if your in the 30s just as most US schools would like) with a even distribution. I think you need to take the GPA statement with a grain of salt... To be considered competitive, you should still have a GPA of 3.0 and greater in my opinion. Obviously, clinical experience and skill factor in....but those are the numbers I suggest.

Best of luck,

A.

edit: Oops! Title should be 'Getting accepted** to medical school in Ireland?' sorry about the error.

What kind of MCAT do you need?

The Atlantic Bridge website makes it sounds like there isn't a huge emphasis on GPA "because GPA can be very subjective, the Irish Medical Schools do not typically use guidelines around GPA for admissions purposes".

I've got a bachelor's degree with a low GPA from a US university.

I'm looking at the 4-year programs at Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, University College Dublin, University of Limerick, and University College Cork and the 5-year programs at the National University of Ireland in Galway and Trinity College Dublin.

It is my understanding that NUIG & TCD don't require the MCAT, does this mean that they do not look at it?