Getting AP biology Cliff Notes or Not??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cassy99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was really confused on whether I should get AP biology cliff notes edition 5 for DAT prep. It is very useful and if you learn everything from that book is it good enough to prepare you for DAT. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The standard Cliff's edition people use when studying for the DAT is the 3rd edition (which you can get pretty cheap and some places have online). The 4th/5th editions were updated to reflect changes in the AP Biology test, and some sections of plants and biological diversity were removed. The 4th/5th editions also have additional material that you don't need to know for the DAT.

With that said: I think Cliff's AP book can give you an excellent foundation for biology, but if you're looking to score well I would definitely supplement it with additional biology resources. It's a great book but not fully comprehensive for the DAT (especially in the physiology sections). It's great to read as a good review of the basics before jumping into a more detailed and DAT-focused resource.

So I was really confused on whether I should get AP biology cliff notes edition 5 for DAT prep. It is very useful and if you learn everything from that book is it good enough to prepare you for DAT. Please help.
Ap Cliffs has been around a long time and will most definitely help you to start building a foundation. Notice I said to start to build a foundation, IMO it should not be your only source for the Bio section on the DAT..

....Nancy...#think30

Use the Kaplan book for biology, read each chapter more than once and annotate them. Use the AP Biology book if you must for reference and to take notes on topics you don't understand, or use online resources. Do a ton of practice problems after that and take notes on problems you get wrong, or need more help on. It's a waste of time to read books that aren't DAT focused, seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Use the Kaplan book for biology, read each chapter more than once and annotate them. Use the AP Biology book if you must for reference and to take notes on topics you don't understand, or use online resources. Do a ton of practice problems after that and take notes on problems you get wrong, or need more help on. It's a waste of time to read books that aren't DAT focused, seriously.
Great advice and a lot of students like to use flash cards too.

I never touched it. I wouldn't both with it unless you are really rusty and need a full refresher. If you took biology within a year ago, I probably would pass on that. But if you still have plenty of time to your DAT, go for it.

I never touched it. I wouldn't both with it unless you are really rusty and need a full refresher. If you took biology within a year ago, I probably would pass on that. But if you still have plenty of time to your DAT, go for it.
Great advice although some students who took it within a year can be rusty or even have a weak foundation, depends on the school, teacher. Some students that are non traditional or where English is not their first language Bio can be a bit more challenging. Cliffs can be those type of students who an need easier beginning to Bio....Nancy

Last edited:
What is the title of the Kaplan book?

It's just the regular DAT prep book from Kaplan that you can get on Amazon. I would study the biology in parts. First, review the cell biology, genetics, ecology chapters, etc. Then, review the anatomy chapters. Makes it more digestible.

Ap Cliffs has been around a long time and will most definitely help you to start building a foundation. Notice I said to start to build a foundation, IMO it should not be your only source for the Bio section on the DAT..

....Nancy...#think30
Can you please suggest me more sources that I can use for biology?? Thank You.

Thank You.