Getting Bored with Doing Same Procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
I looked at my schedule today and it's basically filled with the same things I've done 10,000 times. So, I thought, "What can I learn and do that's new to keep things interesting?"

a. Go back to doing my own perms. Downside: Time suck at the hospital, opportunity cost for the clinic. Have to play on their terms. And, I hate going over to the hospital...

b. Start doing vert again. Downside: Vert is theatrical placebo and more and more RCT's show no effect. This, in turn, feeds GIGO science that creates scientific echo chamber. Not a sustainable service line.

d. Recruit a fellow and see is "all again" through fresh eyes? Downside: Fellow may be a PITA.

e. Learn something completely new. But what? I could go hang out with @lobelsteve or @Ligament and learn to do Gasserians? Downside: Not a lot of demand for that...

f. Pick up a medically-related side Gig: Laser tattoo removal, aesthetics, etc.

g. Sub-, sub-, sub, specialize in something pain related. Downside: Not scalable.

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at my schedule today and it's basically filled with the same things I've done 10,000 times. So, I thought, "What can I learn and do that's new to keep things interesting?"

a. Go back to doing my own perms. Downside: Time suck at the hospital, opportunity cost for the clinic. Have to play on their terms. And, I hate going over to the hospital...

b. Start doing vert again. Downside: Vert is theatrical placebo and more and more RCT's show no effect. This, in turn, feeds GIGO science that creates scientific echo chamber. Not a sustainable service line.

d. Recruit a fellow and see is "all again" through fresh eyes? Downside: Fellow may be a PITA.

e. Learn something completely new. But what? I could go hang out with @lobelsteve or @Ligament and learn to do Gasserians? Downside: Not a lot of demand for that...

f. Pick up a medically-related side Gig: Laser tattoo removal, aesthetics, etc.

g. Sub-, sub-, sub, specialize in something pain related. Downside: Not scalable.

Have you learned DRG? Vertiflex? These of course would eventually become procedures that you are well familiar with and old-hat, as well, but they are interesting, and offer an avenue of treating some patients who there weren't good options for previously.

If you're not in an academic practice or a huge metro area, sub-, sub-specializing in a certain procedure or diagnosis can be hard to do just in terms of getting enough patients, procedure volume, etc to become expert.

From my experience working at an academic gig, teaching can be very rewarding, challenging in a new way, and give you the opportunity to see it through fresh eyes, as you say. Not sure if you could create good demand for a non-ACGME fellowship as it's getting harder to get credentialed with one of those.

Have you learned DRG? Vertiflex? These of course would eventually become procedures that you are well familiar with and old-hat, as well, but they are interesting, and offer an avenue of treating some patients who there weren't good options for previously.

If you're not in an academic practice or a huge metro area, sub-, sub-specializing in a certain procedure or diagnosis can be hard to do just in terms of getting enough patients, procedure volume, etc to become expert.

From my experience working at an academic gig, teaching can be very rewarding, challenging in a new way, and give you the opportunity to see it through fresh eyes, as you say. Not sure if you could create good demand for a non-ACGME fellowship as it's getting harder to get credentialed with one of those.

I've learned DRG. Vertiflex doesn't pay in the office. I don't have shares in an ASC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've learned DRG. Vertiflex doesn't pay in the office. I don't have shares in an ASC.

Turned down DRG training as didn't make sense $ wise in-office for trials at the time. What are the leads costing you? Same reimbursement as SCS?

Sounds like you need to open Dr. Usso's Dreams Med Spa. They come up with new garbage every week, some procedures, some overpriced lotion, exfoliant, etc. No one expects any medical credibility or evidence in this line of work. I'm sure the cash-flow is fantastic. I'm sure it would easily fund your legitimate work and your spouse could dabble in being the CEO of this shell corp...

Reactions: 1 user