Getting DENTALLY involved!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for volunteer/extracurricullar opportunities on the internet and it seems that you have to either have be a dentist(dental student) or a hygentist to do any of them.....I have thought about volunteering at a hospital but i dont really know if that will spark my very much in the future application.....I have ~2.5 yrs of undergrad left and i am looking for extracurricular activities.............. I want to start wax-up practice or even wood carving sounds good to me. Does anyone know where i could get supplys for wax carving (even though i probably couldn't carve out a tooth. maybe i could get creative) everytime i look at dental supply stores everything reads like a different language.(HELP! :confused: )
I have also been wanting to get a job or volunteer with a local dentist, but I have school during the days and most offices are closed by the time i get done. Its really early in the game for me and Dentistry is what i want.....because it is so early some think i will change my mind (ie. my mom) will dentist look at how early i am in the process and just toss my resume out.

I want to be Dentally involved but i have no experience?

thAnx SDN......mY Home away from Home (in my home)

Members don't see this ad.

FlossY said:
I have been looking for volunteer/extracurricullar opportunities on the internet and it seems that you have to either have be a dentist(dental student) or a hygentist to do any of them.....I have thought about volunteering at a hospital but i dont really know if that will spark my very much in the future application.....I have ~2.5 yrs of undergrad left and i am looking for extracurricular activities.............. I want to start wax-up practice or even wood carving sounds good to me. Does anyone know where i could get supplys for wax carving (even though i probably couldn't carve out a tooth. maybe i could get creative) everytime i look at dental supply stores everything reads like a different language.(HELP! :confused: )
I have also been wanting to get a job or volunteer with a local dentist, but I have school during the days and most offices are closed by the time i get done. Its really early in the game for me and Dentistry is what i want.....because it is so early some think i will change my mind (ie. my mom) will dentist look at how early i am in the process and just toss my resume out.

I want to be Dentally involved but i have no experience?

thAnx SDN......mY Home away from Home (in my home)

Volunteer doing somthing that you want to do, something that will be self fufiling! As for shadowing, if you do not have much time during the day to do it, find a dentist that is open on saturday and shadowing him every weekend for the next year, the hours will definately build up! Its good u have choosen dentistry early so you can take the proper precautions! Wish i did :laugh:

golfmontpoker said:
Volunteer doing somthing that you want to do, something that will be self fufiling! As for shadowing, if you do not have much time during the day to do it, find a dentist that is open on saturday and shadowing him every weekend for the next year, the hours will definately build up! Its good u have choosen dentistry early so you can take the proper precautions! Wish i did :laugh:

Your exactly right volunteering is from the heart and that is how i intend to do it. But im having a hard time finding things (dental oportunities) that would satisfy my passion. I enjoy teaching, building, mentoring......etc.(these are thing that i do in everyday life and love doing) I want my volunteer experiences to reflect me now and the future me. Just need a lil' help finding dental related volunteer work with no previous experience ;)

Your volunteer experience doesn't have to be dental. I get the impression that schools want to see people who are well rounded and have interests in addition to dentistry.

You mentioned teaching, building, mentoring...I can think of lots of things you could do w/ those things you enjoy. Volutneer at a elementary/middle/high school to tutor kids, build houses for habitat for humanity, volunteer at the boys and girls club in your area. Doesn't matter what you do, just find something that is you, you like, and can stick with for a good amount of time.

Try dental labs as far as waxing experience and look for community education programs or get a book and teach yourself how to do wood carving.

If you ask me, there is no volunteer experience that wouldn't be helpful. So just do something you like and have fun with it. Even though it is not dentistry, volunteering at the hospital would offer the possibiity of you developing social and communication skills that would be helpful in dentistry.