Getting in and getting out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm a newbie to this board so I don't know if my question was answered awhile ago. Basically my deal goes like this -- I'm a senior graduating from a well-respected liberal arts college with a liberal arts degree and a less-than-stellar GPA around 2.9. I've spent the last few years half-heartedly aiming towards law school but never really wanting it nearly as much as my parents did (insert violins here... :p ) This past year I took Bio for a distribution requirement and remembered how much I liked sciences. This, coupled with my desire to work with children has moved me to take the decisive step towards a post-bac program to complete the pre-reqs I haven't taken (I've completed Intro Bio, Physics, and Stats). My question is what programs might be geared towards someone like me -- a fairly intelligent individual who lost direction, found it again, and made a concerted effort to make up for lost time (I had a 3.9 in high school and 1460 SATS)? Most schools say they require a minimum 3.0 to apply -- how rigid a cutoff is that? Basically, do I have a chance of getting in somewhere good enough (or at all) to allow me the opportunity to prove to dental schools that my undergrad grads were a fluke and I am capable enough to handle dental school work? Additionally my grades this semester should be around the 3.6-3.7 mark and I'm going to try and shadow a dentist over X-Mass break. Any suggestions (or reality checks if warrented) would be most appreciative.

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Mackchops,

Although I cant answer your question since I am premed and not predent, I think you will have more success if you post this question in the "Dental" and "Predental" forums, since it appears they peruse those dicussion boards more than they do this "Postbac" board. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps you get an answer to your questions.