Getting into pod school without all rquired letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I recently applied to dmu,Azpod,tuspm, and scholl.
My gap is 3.6ns and 3.1s with a 27 on my mcat.
The problem that I am worried about is the only letters of recommendation I have is one science teacher letter of rec, a podiatrist letter of rec, and a letter of rec from an MD general surgeon.
I'm not sure I can get any more letters of recommendation from past professors as I mostly kept to myself in school and have now been out of school for almost two years.

Members don't see this ad.

For AZPOD, letters of recommendation are not required but are accepted.

For the other schools, I recommend calling them and explaining your situation to get an absolute answer.

I'm not sure I can get any more letters of recommendation from past professors as I mostly kept to myself in school and have now been out of school for almost two years.

I had the same issue, I had been out of school for 3 years when I decided to go back. Send an email to a few of your old professors, you might be surprised how willing some of them will be to write you a letter even if they don't remember you that well (or at all). Just explain that you are an alum trying to go back to school and a letter from them would go a long way into helping you get accepted. Include what classes you took with them and how you did in those classes. It worked for me.

P.S. PM me if you get accepted anywhere, I applied to those same schools and have my interviews spread out over the next 1-2 months. We might end up being classmates somewhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh I wouldn't bother with the letter of rec from the MD unless it's a really really good letter. They're gonna ask you about it at your interview and you'll be grilled on why you abandoned MD and went for DPM. I mean you'll still get in more likely than not with those stats, but that question can get awkward if they can tell you're full of bs

Thank you guys for the responses!
I've been sending out emails to old professors like mad.
Currently I have been contacted by temple, Azpod, and Scholls but only Temple has set up the interview so far. Scholl's told me they would contact me within 10 business days and Arizona set up some sort of internet profile with me?

The MD I shadowed wrote a very good letter of recommendation as he knew me very well and we spent a lot of time together.
That being said I in no way envied his job as much as I envied the podiatrist I shadowed haha. He did however expose me to a lot of surgical procedures and if anything made me love the surgical aspect of podiatry even more.

This is a formality. Get the letters where you can get them. If the MD can attest to your character and interest in medicine without questioning your interest in podiatry then it doesn't matter. Two of my letters were from employers - one a boss at my company and one a PhD at a laboratory I worked at but never did coursework with. Never heard a word about it from anywhere I applied.

good lord I am having the toughest time finding a professor to write me a letter of rec, I have been out of school for about a year and a half now!

So far I have 6 pod school interviews set up and I haven't sent in a single LOR yet. Plan to do so by the tim my first interview is though. (november).