getting jobs in certain settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlr5585

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to an OT program soon, but I was wondering how difficult it is to get a job in a particular setting. I want to work with children, more specifically in a school. Is this a lot more difficult? Do most OT's get jobs in certain settings b/c it is easier? Thanks for the info!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you will have a problem, especially if one of your fieldwords are in this area.

If need be, start w/ agency work and when you prove your salt, they will want to take you on. Contracting in the afternoons is a way to get experience also.

What state will you be seeking employment? That might be a bigger issue, as to whether that state pays for stuff after this year :eek:
HI cut to 4 days a week. NY's gov is threatening to make some real big cuts in education.

i live in ny...i know in some subjects getting into education is hard. I don't know how it is for OT's, but i'd love to work in a school.

i live in ny...i know in some subjects getting into education is hard. I don't know how it is for OT's, but i'd love to work in a school.

I've been a special ed teacher for about 12 years, in both northern and southern CA, the Boston area, and now the Chicago area. Trust me, you will NEVER have a problem finding work in school systems!! Special Education law requires these services to be provided (when deemed necessary) and with all the kids with autism and other issues entering the school systems, OT needs are very high. Different districts control the way they provide services, and of course they're trying to cut back as everyone is, but there just don't seem to be enough OT's to fill the need in schools. And peds in general is a booming area for therapy, again because of all the kids with special needs who are being id'd early, etc. The law states the services be provided for kids beginning at age 2. This will not change any time soon, believe me. I would advise that working in schools and being constrained by school district policy/budgets, and parent demands can be very stressful. But not all the time. Talk to as many school OT's as you can and get opinions to make sure it's really what you want to do. Not discouraging you, just making you aware of the realities. I think you'd like it.