Getting licensed in multiple states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seriously Serious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have jobs that require them to be licensed in multiple states (5+), how was/is that process going for you? I know someone who is applying for a job that is wanting the pharmacist to eventually be licensed in all states. Isn't that a bit extreme and not very practical?

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not necessary at all. I had 16 licenses at one point for a mail order PIC gig. You really only need to be licensed in about 20ish states to be able to ship there as the PIC. Its so hard to remember all the little differences in laws, the CE requirements are different everywhere. It's not worth it and definitely not necessary for any circumstance to get licensed in EVERY state.

Reactions: 6 users
I am in the process of getting licensed in multiple states and my employer requires 35ish but won't stop pharmacists from getting licensed in every state and U.S. territories.
Getting fingerprinting done and documents notarized is actually the most difficult process.
Also, some states require in-person interviews (some are done remotely now but others still want you to fly in), which can also pose difficulties.
I was originally concerned about MPJEs but quickly realized that it is not that bad.
MPJEs are pretty repetitive and I am currently only studying few hours the day or two before each MPJE since I pretty much got the federal law down and just need to memorize the state specific details (the NABP annual survey on pharmacy laws is an excellent source if you just want to glance at state specific laws).
I even dare to say that you can pass any state's MPJE if you just know your federal law well and make educated guesses on state specific stuff (other than time lines and day supply limitations which needs pure memorization, the intent of rules and regulations on many topics are pretty similar from state to state).
My employer pays for all the fees associated with acquiring and maintaining licenses, any study guides pharmacists wish to purchase, pre-MPJEs if pharmacists want to take them, allows the exam to be taken on company's time, and pays bonus per each new license acquired, so I don't mind taking them.
Also, having multiple licenses may come in handy if you ever plan to move out (I know my Guam license will be handy in 30 years when I want to spend the rest of my remaining years there!) and getting these at the expense of your employer is good opportunity in my opinion.
I personally would not have spent all those application fees (it is not just a single fee but multiple fees for one state that can cost near $1,000 for certain states!) nor forced myself to study on my own time if it wasn't for my employer requesting me to get licensed, so I think it is a win-win for myself and the employer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the process of getting licensed in multiple states and my employer requires 35ish but won't stop pharmacists from getting licensed in every state and U.S. territories.
Getting fingerprinting done and documents notarized is actually the most difficult process.
Also, some states require in-person interviews (some are done remotely now but others still want you to fly in), which can also pose difficulties.
I was originally concerned about MPJEs but quickly realized that it is not that bad.
MPJEs are pretty repetitive and I am currently only studying few hours the day or two before each MPJE since I pretty much got the federal law down and just need to memorize the state specific details (the NABP annual survey on pharmacy laws is an excellent source if you just want to glance at state specific laws).
I even dare to say that you can pass any state's MPJE if you just know your federal law well and make educated guesses on state specific stuff (other than time lines and day supply limitations which needs pure memorization, the intent of rules and regulations on many topics are pretty similar from state to state).
My employer pays for all the fees associated with acquiring and maintaining licenses, any study guides pharmacists wish to purchase, pre-MPJEs if pharmacists want to take them, allows the exam to be taken on company's time, and pays bonus per each new license acquired, so I don't mind taking them.
Also, having multiple licenses may come in handy if you ever plan to move out (I know my Guam license will be handy in 30 years when I want to spend the rest of my remaining years there!) and getting these at the expense of your employer is good opportunity in my opinion.
I personally would not have spent all those application fees (it is not just a single fee but multiple fees for one state that can cost near $1,000 for certain states!) nor forced myself to study on my own time if it wasn't for my employer requesting me to get licensed, so I think it is a win-win for myself and the employer.

What's the purpose of your employer requiring so many states? As I said, only about 25 or so require the PIC to be licensed in their state to ship to them as a non-resident pharmacy. Otherwise there is no legal and practical purpose as you won't even step foot in that state to practice.

What's the purpose of your employer requiring so many states? As I said, only about 25 or so require the PIC to be licensed in their state to ship to them as a non-resident pharmacy. Otherwise there is no legal and practical purpose as you won't even step foot in that state to practice.

Not sure if 25ish is the correct number since my employer mentioned 35ish require either the PIC or dispensing/consulting rphs to be licensed, but I guess this leaves the same question you are posing of legal and practical purpose of getting licensed in all states and US territories regardless. I cannot think of a reason other than they are proactively preparing for possible changes in regulations or want to have the option of opening new locations anywhere immediately. I also think there must be something that we do not know since companies tend to not spend unnecessary money on things that are not tied to their financial outcomes and it costs my employer $2,500+ per state per pharmacist at my job if u consider all the expenses and bonuses. I will share if I ever find out if there are other reasons, but for now, I am glad I can take all states and territories since these bonuses add up quickly. I agree that it is not worth it if the whole process is not paid by the employer and there are no monetary incentives for getting licensed. However, if the company is paying for the entire process, compensates your time preparing for the exam and the application, and pays decent bonus if you pass, I do not see why not.

It's definitely not necessary at all. I had 16 licenses at one point for a mail order PIC gig. You really only need to be licensed in about 20ish states to be able to ship there as the PIC. Its so hard to remember all the little differences in laws, the CE requirements are different everywhere. It's not worth it and definitely not necessary for any circumstance to get licensed in EVERY state.

At the upper civil service level, we did have pharmacists who have all 50. This was found to be ridiculous as the case circumstances where you would want that many have never happened (we can always find a local person). I think the rule still is FL and CA if possible, and those who are DC based have to have the tri-state and DC proper for certain positions. Those who are in the COO groups have to have all the ones before, and IL, IN, CO, MO, NY, NJ, AL, and TX for reasons that the DoD counterparts and VA staff understand.

Which geographic area is your company located?

Only do it if the job requires it and make sure you get high limits on liability insurance. A violation in one state is a violation in all.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any idea on how much of a raise to get when getting an additional state license for employer so they can apply for one. 2$ per hour per state plus all expenses? I would be getting a non resident license in these states. I work retail mail order

I mean licensed in a second state.