Getting licensed with a European education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychologistFromEurope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Although I am American, I have been living abroad in Europe for nearly 20 years. During this time, I have earned a Master's degree in clinical psychology (which has qualified me to practice as a clinical psychologist where I live) and a PhD in psychology (which was purely a research PhD, as doctoral programs where I live are not clinical training programs). Since earning my degrees here, I have worked as a psychologist in a hospital psychiatry department and in private practice.

Due to my husband's work, we may be moving to the US soon (probably NY or CT). I am really hoping that there is a way for me to become licensed to practice. I have looked at the websites for the licensing boards and it looks like it may be difficult if your education and training are outside the APA model. Has anyone on here been through this process? Might my education be recognized if I agree to an additional internship? Or what about re-specialization programs (although I am already trained in therapy and testing)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Members don't see this ad.

Friends who have moved from Europe under same scenario had to do respecialization with courses, practicum, predoctoral and postdoctoral internships, pass EPPP, orals, and jurisprudence exams. It is a three or more year process and if you have been out some time since earning the PhD, the EPPP may not be so easy to pass.

The State Psychology Board normally has to approve the plan. Someone informed me that NY Psychology Board is one of the more difficult states to obtain licensure.
I have heard it is easier to get licensed in surrounding States of New York and either practicing there or transferring license to NY

Many European psychology curriculum focus only on Person Centered or Psychodynamic and USA training programs are more comprehensive with CBT and other evidenced based therapy emphasis. The friends I have known from Europe had only Person Centered emphasis.

Conversely, USA trained psychologist have same problems with gaining licensure in Europe.

There are a number of threads covering these issues on SDN.

http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net...ion-student-or-graduate.929388/#post-12665825

Last edited:
Respecialization in Professional Psychology
Respecialization in professional psychology offers training for individuals already holding the doctoral degree in psychology who wish to change their specialty. Respecialization programs typically involve intensive coursework in clinical psychology (including assessment, intervention and psychopathology) and practicum training in addition to a one-year internship. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be eligible to sit for licensure as a psychologist.
In addition to the following departments, some doctoral programs will accept students for respecialization as a part of their regular doctoral training group. Qualifications and acceptance are determined by each program. Please direct inquiries to the graduate program in which you are interested.
The APA Council of Representatives Policy Manual details the association policies on encouraging respecialization training programs and on psychology programs and departments that offer respecialization programs.

Respecialization Programs
The following universities offer respecialization programs in clinical psychology:

California

Alliant International University-Fresno
Programs in Clinical Psychology
Sue Ammen, PhD

Alliant International University-San Diego
Programs in Clinical Psychology
Adele Rabin, PhD

Alliant International University-San Francisco
Programs in Clinical Psychology and Clinical Psychopharmacology
Michael Loewy, PhD

Fielding Graduate University
School of Psychology
Judith Schoenholtz-Read, EdD

Georgia

Argosy University, Atlanta
American School of Professional Psychology
Timothy Brown, PhD

Hawaii

Argosy University, Hawaii
American School of Professional Psychology
Michael Omizo, PhD

University of Hawaii
Department of Psychology
Ashley Maynard, PhD

Massachusetts

Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
Clinical Psychology Department
Stacey Lambert, PsyD

Suffolk University
Department of Psychology
Susan Orsillo, PhD

University of Massachusetts
Department of Psychology
Christopher Overtree, PhD

Missouri

University of Missouri-Saint Louis
Department of Psychology
Ann Steffen, PhD

New Jersey

Fairleigh Dickinson University
School of Psychology
Ron Dumont, EdD

New York

Adelphi University
Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies
J. Christopher Muran, PhD

Hofstra University
Department of Psychology
Richard O’Brien, PhD

Pennsylvania

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Department of Psychology
Robert A. DiTomasso, PhD, ABPP

Widener University
Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology
Maurice Prout, PhD

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed that some sort of respecialization program, particularly one that's worked with European-training psychologists in the past, is going to be your best bet. That, or you may already qualify for a master's-level license, although I'm not sure how the pay would stack up compared to your current income.

I've known of some of the European trained psychologist either obtain LPC license or do another PhD in psychology. I've known of others who work in academia and don't need to be licensed.

Last edited:
I've known of some of the European trained psychologist either obtain LPC license or do another PhD in psychology. I've known of others who work in academia and don't need to be licensed.

With the research-oriented doctorate, that's of course also an option.

One option, though very uncommon and situational, is to get a job as a professor at a institution with a clinical/counseling psych PhD and respecialization via that program after getting tenure. Of course, the program has to actually agree to this and it's far from a sure thing, but I do know a professor who did just that.

Thank you so much for your helpful replies. Do you think other universities will sometimes take a re-specialization candidate, even if they do not publicize it?

Thank you so much for your helpful replies. Do you think other universities will sometimes take a re-specialization candidate, even if they do not publicize it?

In some States the Psychology Board will review your credentials and then tell you what you need to do to be considered for licensure. However, it is more typical for the board to vote and second either approve or deny the application based on State Regulations and the applicant is responsible for meeting the standards and guidelines.

If you have been out of the U.S. for 20 years, significant changes have occurred including a number of States restricting psychologist applications to APA program applicants and APA internships to meet Standards.

There is an APA internship shortage resulting in delays for students completing programs and some not matching for two-three years. Twenty years ago there was a surplus of internships.

Is your Husband from Europe? Is the move going to be temporary or long term? I have known couples who have gone through similar changes and their Spouse does not move for several years until they are certain of the new job. I knew a couple in a similar situation from Italy and the husband was on a work visa. His employer Verizon was bought by a competitor and he was downsized and due to work visa he had to return to Italy. His wife was American and she was working as a teacher and they bought a house in USA. She and the kids stayed in the USA while trying to sell their house and he was looking for work back in Italy. In Hindsight they would have been better off if his wife and kids had stayed in Italy until his job was secure.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this information, OneNeuroDoctor. My husband is from Europe but lived in the US for many years, got his undergraduate degree here, and has family here. It would be a long-term move. The states I have looked at appear to allow for candidates with doctoral degrees that are the "substantial equivalent" to an APA program. It is not clear to me how they evaluate equivalency (or whether they could include graduate coursework completed for my master's degree), which is my primary concern.

Thank you for sharing this information, OneNeuroDoctor. My husband is from Europe but lived in the US for many years, got his undergraduate degree here, and has family here. It would be a long-term move. The states I have looked at appear to allow for candidates with doctoral degrees that are the "substantial equivalent" to an APA program. It is not clear to me how they evaluate equivalency (or whether they could include graduate coursework completed for my master's degree), which is my primary concern.

Getting in touch with the individual state board(s) is likely to be your best bet, as their evaluative processes are probably unique to each area.

My guess, though, would be that it'd at least include sending transcripts, course syllabi, and perhaps a copy of your dissertation (or equivalent).

They would probably also need some documentation of your supervised clinical experience as that is part of an APA program.