Medical Getting LOR for MD schools as a non-traditional student

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am noticing some of the schools I want to apply to require letters of recommendation from professors from undergrad. By the time I will apply, I'll have been out of school for 2 years. At this point, is it better to get other LOR from people I am closer with at work? Or are these letters more to substantiate my ability to pass classes and therefore don't need to be as personal? I'm worried that the letters from professors will be sub-par as it will have been at least 2 years since taking a class with them and everyone's memory fades. Any insight?

It is always better to get letters from people who know you better and can write a more personalized letter. That being said, requirements are requirements and if you need a professor letter to check that box, then that's what you need to get.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first thing to do is ask the schools about the spirit of the requirement to address your concern. Schools do want to be sure you pass their classes and establish good relationships with professors in case help is needed. But they also consider life circumstances too in weighing the importance of GPA against your life history will also be important.

One school I am looking at requires "at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members who have taught the applicant in the classroom setting". Would my undergrad PI count? She was a professor at the school and did advise on classes but she never was an actual professor of mine. Would this count? Or should I try and find another professor?

For these kinds of specific questions for a specific school, you sort of have to just ask them directly. We can guess and make something up but we really don’t know what the school would consider acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
One school I am looking at requires "at least two letters of recommendation from faculty members who have taught the applicant in the classroom setting". Would my undergrad PI count? She was a professor at the school and did advise on classes but she never was an actual professor of mine. Would this count? Or should I try and find another professor?

If the requirements are that explicit, you may not have much of a choice. This is one of those things that schools do to put up barriers when they shouldn't. If it's too much trouble if the school won't consider your PI as meeting the requirement, move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.