Getting more involved and becoming competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if some senior colleagues out there may be able to field a response to my questions

I'm in my second year and have been trying to remain actively involved in events that I'm interested in (community clinics, minor research, organizing events), but I feel like what I'm doing isn't all that much and that I'm not putting much effort into making myself an outstanding applicant for residency programs. I really want to have something I'm really in to, but I haven't found a niche. I really like the idea of qualitative research on patient/doctor relatinships, narcotic addiction, patient satisfaction, etc., but I don't have a lot of time for that right now (At this point, I'm mainly interested in primary care - like peds, psych, family or a combination of two of those). I want to meet more doctors and I would like to have more leadership roles. I'm not seeking this to just buff up my resume - I genuinely want to participate in something meaningful, something I can commit myself to. I feel like I have a minute network and if I work in groups, there is someone else who inevitably schmoozes away and gets to meet new people in the field they are interested in. I realize board scores are very important (so I will become a hermit for the next 5 months or so), but I also want to do something in my third year extending through my 4th year that is cool! Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if some senior colleagues out there may be able to field a response to my questions

I'm in my second year and have been trying to remain actively involved in events that I'm interested in (community clinics, minor research, organizing events), but I feel like what I'm doing isn't all that much and that I'm not putting much effort into making myself an outstanding applicant for residency programs. I really want to have something I'm really in to, but I haven't found a niche. I really like the idea of qualitative research on patient/doctor relatinships, narcotic addiction, patient satisfaction, etc., but I don't have a lot of time for that right now (At this point, I'm mainly interested in primary care - like peds, psych, family or a combination of two of those). I want to meet more doctors and I would like to have more leadership roles. I'm not seeking this to just buff up my resume - I genuinely want to participate in something meaningful, something I can commit myself to. I feel like I have a minute network and if I work in groups, there is someone else who inevitably schmoozes away and gets to meet new people in the field they are interested in. I realize board scores are very important (so I will become a hermit for the next 5 months or so), but I also want to do something in my third year extending through my 4th year that is cool! Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

I bolded some of your statements because they seem a bit contradictory to what you claim to be motivated by. It seems like the competitive fever is getting the better of you, which is fine, but just admit it then.

First, if others are pushing you out, so to speak, then it's really not their problem, but yours. Are you not being assertive enough? Why is it so important for you to meet all of these "new people"?

Also, why do you feel the need to do something "cool" or out of the ordinary if you're not interested in padding the CV? It seems you may be losing some perspective. I can understand wanting to do something meaningful in life. But, there's no rush (unless you're padding the resume....). Enjoy 3rd year, and learn as much as you can. The residencies that you're interested in aren't generally considered that competitve. So, I'm not sure you'd be hurt by not saving the world somehow or finding a cure for cancer.

I realize that I'm being hard on you. I'm generally helpful (I swear!!). Perhaps you just didn't get the message across (or I missed the point entirely....)

Well, I think it's great you're trying to get into some other activities, whatever the reason. (I don't think altruism and resume-building are mutually exclusive.)

Some ideas are getting involved in a free clinic, find a research opportunity either on your own or ask the Dean's office if they have list, or get involved in interest groups at your school (which often do volunteer work or other humanitarian projects.) I know this is general advice, but it probably doesn't matter exactly what you choose as long as you put effort into it and see some results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

I found myself in a similar situation. Except I had very average grades and board scores and found myself wanting to go into a competitive program (Peds in the Navy- I know it's not that bad anywhere else).

Just relax, you'll have a lot more time for projects next year. I knew I needed to beef up my application and I went to a lecture that talked about having child safety awareness projects. after the lecture I went up and asked what I could do. I ended up at a couple of conferences, etc. But you know what? When I interviewed, not one person asked me about it, and I don't know that it helped at all.

Just find something your in to and go after that. One chief told me that when he looks through apps when it comes to research and experience, for him it's pretty much do they have anything or nothing.

After the first 2 years, your perspective shifts and you'll be able to chase the avenues you want to chase. Just survive the rest of the 2nd year for now.

I bolded some of your statements because they seem a bit contradictory to what you claim to be motivated by. It seems like the competitive fever is getting the better of you, which is fine, but just admit it then.

First, if others are pushing you out, so to speak, then it's really not their problem, but yours. Are you not being assertive enough? Why is it so important for you to meet all of these "new people"?

Also, why do you feel the need to do something "cool" or out of the ordinary if you're not interested in padding the CV? It seems you may be losing some perspective. I can understand wanting to do something meaningful in life. But, there's no rush (unless you're padding the resume....). Enjoy 3rd year, and learn as much as you can. The residencies that you're interested in aren't generally considered that competitve. So, I'm not sure you'd be hurt by not saving the world somehow or finding a cure for cancer.

I realize that I'm being hard on you. I'm generally helpful (I swear!!). Perhaps you just didn't get the message across (or I missed the point entirely....)

Ugh... where do I start - so thanks for trying to help out, I realize you have good intentions, as do I. I think "Fang" put it nicely - finding a true interest and having a good resume are NOT mutually exclusive. I genuinely WANT to find a niche - but I haven't been that successful - things just kind of come and go - I'm not ultra passionate about lobbying, I don't really want to be in a particular student interest group - b/c I don't know what I'm ACTUALLY interested in. So, that being said - I want to be a competitive applicant come my 4th year - the only way to do that is to have good LORs, good Board scores, and well - an interesting resume. Does that make sense? I would like to meet people (particularly faculty members) because I want to be able to shoot them an email about ideas I have for potential projects, shadowing, etc. In response to not being assertive enough - that's fair - but I have a particuarly strong personality - but I hate hate hate people that talk over each other just to hear themselves talk and sound smart - you know the people I'm talking about - they're everywhere and they make me kind of want to vomit! :)

So, I'm not going to weasle (sp?) my way into a conversation just to get to know a doc. That's not my purpose. I would like to get to know faculty so I can network and have resources available for me and potential mentors to seek advice and knowledge from.

Anyway, cfdavid - I'm a primary care gal - it's not like I'm trying to get into gen surg or ortho, so please don't take what I wrote about as me trying to just beef up my resume - it's not about that. I want to stay in california and have something on my resume that says "I AM COMMITTED TO PRIMARY CARE!" (because I am - just haven't found much to do yet!) Am I making any sense now?

Ugh... where do I start - so thanks for trying to help out, I realize you have good intentions, as do I. I think "Fang" put it nicely - finding a true interest and having a good resume are NOT mutually exclusive. I genuinely WANT to find a niche - but I haven't been that successful - things just kind of come and go - I'm not ultra passionate about lobbying, I don't really want to be in a particular student interest group - b/c I don't know what I'm ACTUALLY interested in. So, that being said - I want to be a competitive applicant come my 4th year - the only way to do that is to have good LORs, good Board scores, and well - an interesting resume. Does that make sense? I would like to meet people (particularly faculty members) because I want to be able to shoot them an email about ideas I have for potential projects, shadowing, etc. In response to not being assertive enough - that's fair - but I have a particuarly strong personality - but I hate hate hate people that talk over each other just to hear themselves talk and sound smart - you know the people I'm talking about - they're everywhere and they make me kind of want to vomit! :)

So, I'm not going to weasle (sp?) my way into a conversation just to get to know a doc. That's not my purpose. I would like to get to know faculty so I can network and have resources available for me and potential mentors to seek advice and knowledge from.

Anyway, cfdavid - I'm a primary care gal - it's not like I'm trying to get into gen surg or ortho, so please don't take what I wrote about as me trying to just beef up my resume - it's not about that. I want to stay in california and have something on my resume that says "I AM COMMITTED TO PRIMARY CARE!" (because I am - just haven't found much to do yet!) Am I making any sense now?

Yeah, my apologies for coming off like that. It wasn't very constructive. I'm sure you'll be successful regardless. You obviously have a passion (perhaps untapped?), and that's 1/2 the battle. Good luck to you. But, I don't think you'll need it.