Getting out of HPSP service commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teef2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in dental school with an HPSP scholarship. One of my friends who is also on HPSP recently told me that he is only in it for the money and is in fact rather anti-military. He seems to think he'll never serve a day in the military, but will just use it for the money.

My question: Do HPSP recipients ever successfully get out of their service requirement? Could someone be cut (discharged early) for things like not conforming to military standards (not performing military duties/passing PFT, not following hygeine and uniform standards, etc)? It seems like this is what he plans to do. Seems like a pretty low life move to me.

And just let me be clear that I personally am very excited for my military commitment and plan to stay in for at least 4 years and possibly longer. It is so frustrating to hear people talk like this, especially after so many deserving applicants didn't get a scholarship. Just curious to hear how this will play out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope he likes paying back every penny with interest.

I'm currently in dental school with an HPSP scholarship. One of my friends who is also on HPSP recently told me that he is only in it for the money and is in fact rather anti-military. He seems to think he'll never serve a day in the military, but will just use it for the money.

My question: Do HPSP recipients ever successfully get out of their service requirement? Could someone be cut (discharged early) for things like not conforming to military standards (not performing military duties/passing PFT, not following hygeine and uniform standards, etc)? It seems like this is what he plans to do. Seems like a pretty low life move to me.

And just let me be clear that I personally am very excited for my military commitment and plan to stay in for at least 4 years and possibly longer. It is so frustrating to hear people talk like this, especially after so many deserving applicants didn't get a scholarship. Just curious to hear how this will play out.

yes. i know someone who got discharged early with no financial penalty due to mental illness. i'm sure this guy or gal will figure out a good one to get out.

Members don't see this ad :)
this disgusts me..I'm also looking forward to my commitment and even possibly a 20yr career with the army dental corps.
If he is let go it shouldn't be an honorable discharge. Hopefully, he's not a good actor and can't pull off a mental disorder. Even if he could, he wouldn't be able to practice without them finding out eventually

To answer your question:
If a person can't pass boards or licensure exam, he/she will be given a different job (the most undesirable one in the military) to work until the debt is paid. It only makes sense that he would be subject to this.

Last edited:

I hope he is in the Army...I can't wait to watch this play out :)

Ft. Leavenworth (military prison) is not that bad. It's like the military...but only different. They have a structured life that your friend may enjoy, and he'll make some great friends!!

The other scenario which is just as fun to watch is for him to hire a civilian attorney and get drained by him, and then have to pay back all his money to the military (plus interest). He'll start out even farther behind his peers financially and take longer to pay it back and be worse off then if he'd just served his time.

My favorite part is that if he does try to fake some reason (mental for example) why he can't practice in the military, he gets put in the national impaired provider database and that will follow him around in the civilian world/practice...priceless!!!

Either way his future earning potential/reputation/life will have some serious obstacles to overcome...just because he's thinking about being a dirt bag :)...Love it :)!!!

Your friend is a sh*tbird. I hope he has to pay back everything.

Ft. Leavenworth (military prison) is not that bad. It's like the military...but only different. They have a structured life that your friend may enjoy, and he'll make some great friends!!

:laugh:

Read this tale of woe:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-959884.html

Then think about all the udergrad loans that will come due... And if you think that the Army will not get it's money, I've testified four times in the past two months to military boards that are involuntarily separating HPSP drops, giving the students less than honorable discharges, and going after the money several ways. They garnish your check, they collect your income tax return, and if you still haven't paid it off by 62, don't think about collecting social security.

Last edited:
Well this is good to hear. I was afraid he'd manage to scam the government of $400,000+ and get away with it simply because the Army wouldnt want to deal with going after him. I hope they get every penny plus interest back.
Even if he does end up serving, I don't foresee him doing well in the military environment and being more of a hindrance to his commanding officers. He seems to be the kind of person that can barely drag himself out of bed before noon and doesn't care too much about personal hygiene or fitness. He's one of the free-spirited types and treats everything like a joke. Hard to believe that such a person could become a military officer, a noble career that many people would sacrifice a lot for.

Wow...
To see people not willing to REPAY 4 years makes me sick. I without hesitation renounced my native nationality in order to have the honor of serving my country through this scholarship. Not just for 4 years but hopefully as a career. Four years is a joke when you consider the amount of money this scholarship will cover especially for out of state or private schools. Rather scary to think that we could one day serve next to somebody like this...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Your friend can try, but uncle sam wants his money back somehow

1) He can get out of it; some extraordinary medical/mental problem makes them unfit; extremely rare
2) He can die....
3) He quits dental school; then he can serve his time in regular military

Most common method?

He will graduate as dentist he will serve somewhere; he will be a douche at that command serve his time and gets out.

I've met couple people like that; they fail PT; well guess what they will make your life miserable but they will string you along until your time is up and get you out........what a loser

They mysteriously go to medical and can't do PT they getout of it;

People like this is an embarrassment to those who serve.......ugh;

I forgot

There was an article several years back; of someone who tried to get out of the HPSP by claiming against violence or some sort of excuse.

They got lawyers etc; that person said i'll pay it back instead...

Anyhow the article stated the person lost; uncle sam doesn't want the money back; they could care less instead the person was ordered to serve, but then again times are different with the military getting plenty of volunteers

Who knows? I've seen stranger things happen.

Well this is good to hear. I was afraid he'd manage to scam the government of $400,000+ and get away with it simply because the Army wouldnt want to deal with going after him. I hope they get every penny plus interest back.
Even if he does end up serving, I don't foresee him doing well in the military environment and being more of a hindrance to his commanding officers. He seems to be the kind of person that can barely drag himself out of bed before noon and doesn't care too much about personal hygiene or fitness. He's one of the free-spirited types and treats everything like a joke. Hard to believe that such a person could become a military officer, a noble career that many people would sacrifice a lot for.
ahhaha

I personally know someone who did military on HPSP

it was a joke; they guy was sent to (home of infantry down south!) or somewhere; he would show up in formation with the boots untied, hair sloven, uniform messed up.

My friend tells me they gave him a hard time.....funny thing is that he cleaned up; lost a lot of weight; wonder how? Basically they got in his face and made him do it.

Anyhow; I hear all the dental officers hated him; patients feared him

I ran in to him; he was getting ready to get out; he definitely lost weight and honestly the military really cleaned him up.

Unfortunately, his attitude and mentality was still the same.....

Either way; Uncle Sam made a man out of him; but you can't change that noggen inside someones head.

What sort of shape should we be in? I want to make sure I am ready and responsible. Currently I am doing "les mills body pump" and an hr of yoga 3-4x per week. Is this enough? I want to make sure I'm living up to my obligation.

PS _ how common is it to fail out of DS?

Your friend can try, but uncle sam wants his money back somehow

1) He can get out of it; some extraordinary medical/mental problem makes them unfit; extremely rare
2) He can die....
3) He quits dental school; then he can serve his time in regular military

Most common method?

He will graduate as dentist he will serve somewhere; he will be a douche at that command serve his time and gets out.

I've met couple people like that; they fail PT; well guess what they will make your life miserable but they will string you along until your time is up and get you out........what a loser

They mysteriously go to medical and can't do PT they getout of it;

People like this is an embarrassment to those who serve.......ugh;

Yappy

Don't worry; you are doing more than enough to stay in shape.

Depending on your service they have different standards. Google it ex; army PRT, navy prt you just need to pass and it is not that hard; actually it is easy.

how common to fail out of DS?

It's hard work but very rarely do people fail out of DS.

That is last thing you should worry; if you show up and do your work and get along with everyone you will be successful!