Getting PD feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lashler9054

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have gotten more involved in the hiring for my private practice. I have been interviewing a number of residents to join the practice. Most seem pretty personable but obviously they are putting their best foot forward on interview day. I figure the best person to contact for a reference is their program director. However, I’m aware that PDs probably have to walk a fine line between making sure their graduates thrive and maintaining credibility (no glowing recommendations for poor residents). So what questions should I ask PDs to accurately assess residents interviewing at my practice? And what answers from them should I look for? Just anticipating having to beat around the bush with my questions and read between the lines when they answer.

Members don't see this ad.

PDs are often busy and receiving a ton of emails and requests , not to mention the 10-20 LOR they need to write each year.

We just ask for 3 attending references and go with that. Usually get a short email response paragraph with ‘she’s great, a pleasure to work with, never had any issues , and would be a great addition to your group “

I fond that much more helpful, especially if the candidate was pretty normal in person.

I don’t need an all star , just someone not weird.

Reactions: 5 users
PDs are often busy and receiving a ton of emails and requests , not to mention the 10-20 LOR they need to write each year.

We just ask for 3 attending references and go with that. Usually get a short email response paragraph with ‘she’s great, a pleasure to work with, never had any issues , and would be a great addition to your group “

I fond that much more helpful, especially if the candidate was pretty normal in person.

As long as they’re good at their job and like to work, we’ll take weirdos all day every day ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Ok. What if the PD does agree to speak with me? I’m not worried about what to ask random attending. PD seems to have more incentive to give complete picture

Ok. What if the PD does agree to speak with me? I’m not worried about what to ask random attending. PD seems to have more incentive to give complete picture

I don’t agree. They are vested in the program’s success more than anyone. Part of this includes their residents’ happiness with their fellowship/job following graduation.

Very likely to get a glowing recommendation and not the complete picture you seek.

Reactions: 1 users
Really, your best bet is if you know recent alumni from those programs if your network is pretty tight. Shoot them a text and see what they have to say.

I don’t agree. They are vested in the program’s success more than anyone. Part of this includes their residents’ happiness with their fellowship/job following graduation.

Very likely to get a glowing recommendation and not the complete picture you seek.

Except if it's a big group that does a lot of hiring, PD is going to blow up a job pipeline by giving an obviously misleading rec to some dud candidate.

Except if it's a big group that does a lot of hiring, PD is going to blow up a job pipeline by giving an obviously misleading rec to some dud candidate.

They usually follow the same formula…highly critical in private…sing your praises in public. Plus they get the resident placed.

Job market is tight right now so they probably don’t care that much about any single group. And why should they?

Reactions: 1 user
Lashler,

Assuming you do not have a pre-existing relationship with the PD, you might consider a strategy of sticking to straightforward questions that do not require the PD to make a character judgements. As an example, let's say there were problems during training with an applicant of yours. You might get more useful information by asking, "I am not asking for details, but were there any issues with this resident that required intervention by the Clinical Competence Committee?" Instead of something more vague like, "How did he/she do in residency?" "Were they a team player, or hard worker?"

It's probably easier to get non-admin attendings to give you more subjective character judgements. But PDs will know things that you will want to know that general attendings will not. CCC issues, how responsible they are at completing administrative tasks, are they "system workers" who are always trying to take advantage of every opportunity to the detriment of their colleagues, are their immune systems unusually vulnerable on Friday/Monday and days before long weekends, and things like that.

ucladoc2b, I can only speak for myself, but I would disagree that a PD will give a deceiving recommendation to place a resident in order to maintain program reputation. Residents who go into practices and fail are bad for everyone. The practice, the resident, and the program. When I'm asked about a resident who has weaknesses, I have found that discussing with the practice about what their job requires and how it fits with the resident's skillset leads to conversations that can be honest and informative without being disparaging.

A person only has 1 misleading recommendation in them. Because once that happens, you've lost the trust of the counterparty and your integrity means a lot less. Local anesthesia communities are pretty small and word travels fast.

Back to ERAS. *sigh*

Reactions: 2 users
Lashler,

Assuming you do not have a pre-existing relationship with the PD, you might consider a strategy of sticking to straightforward questions that do not require the PD to make a character judgements. As an example, let's say there were problems during training with an applicant of yours. You might get more useful information by asking, "I am not asking for details, but were there any issues with this resident that required intervention by the Clinical Competence Committee?" Instead of something more vague like, "How did he/she do in residency?" "Were they a team player, or hard worker?"

It's probably easier to get non-admin attendings to give you more subjective character judgements. But PDs will know things that you will want to know that general attendings will not. CCC issues, how responsible they are at completing administrative tasks, are they "system workers" who are always trying to take advantage of every opportunity to the detriment of their colleagues, are their immune systems unusually vulnerable on Friday/Monday and days before long weekends, and things like that.

ucladoc2b, I can only speak for myself, but I would disagree that a PD will give a deceiving recommendation to place a resident in order to maintain program reputation. Residents who go into practices and fail are bad for everyone. The practice, the resident, and the program. When I'm asked about a resident who has weaknesses, I have found that discussing with the practice about what their job requires and how it fits with the resident's skillset leads to conversations that can be honest and informative without being disparaging.

A person only has 1 misleading recommendation in them. Because once that happens, you've lost the trust of the counterparty and your integrity means a lot less. Local anesthesia communities are pretty small and word travels fast.

Back to ERAS. *sigh*
Bam! Thanks for this constructive response