Getting ready for the move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlantastudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know it's still a while before my intern year starts, but I wanted some answers on what to expect. How much do we receive as an intern? How do I determine what my housing stipend would be? Does the military pay for moving expenses?

Any information would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I know it's still a while before my intern year starts, but I wanted some answers on what to expect. How much do we receive as an intern? How do I determine what my housing stipend would be? Does the military pay for moving expenses?

Any information would be appreciated!

For pay go to www.dfas.mil
Housing allowance is BAH (also located on dfas.mil)

Yes they will move you. Google "it's your move".

For pay go to www.dfas.mil
Housing allowance is BAH (also located on dfas.mil)

Yes they will move you. Google "it's your move".

As an intern with no prior service, we'll receive BAH, BAS, basic pay, and VSP (for interns) right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

As for BAH, when it lists "with and without dependents," are dependents considered children, spouses, or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
As an intern with no prior service, we'll receive BAH, BAS, basic pay, and VSP (for interns) right? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

As for BAH, when it lists "with and without dependents," are dependents considered children, spouses, or both?

Also, BAH and BAS aren't taxed, correct?

Correct: You'll get O3 with <2yrs and the others you listed.

Dependents can be many things, but it is whatever is listed on your "Page 2" in DEERS when you enroll. Usually is spouse and children, but can also include parents, etc if they meet certain criteria. If they aren't listed on your Page 2 you won't get the pay, so make sure they are enrolled in DEERS (need that to get them in Tricare anyway)

SeminoleFan3 said:
Also, BAH and BAS aren't taxed, correct?
Correct

If you have dependants - yes.
If not - no.

Another slap to those without families.

Does one get the dislocation allowance when coming onto AD from HPSP during the initial PCS to their residency program? Do you still get the DLA if the government moves you to your new duty station?

Also, when driving cars to the new duty station, do you get reimbursed for the mileage? If so, is it for each vehicle making the trip out there or just the primary vehicle?

In the same vein, assuming we get orders when they said we would (mid-April), does anyone know how long it takes to schedule a pack out date after that?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Navy will ship cars (along with house hold goods)when we are coming on active duty for intern year?

Does anyone know if the Navy will ship cars (along with house hold goods)when we are coming on active duty for intern year?

Military does not transport cars in CONUS (i.e. continental U.S.).

Does one get the dislocation allowance when coming onto AD from HPSP during the initial PCS to their residency program? Do you still get the DLA if the government moves you to your new duty station?

Also, when driving cars to the new duty station, do you get reimbursed for the mileage? If so, is it for each vehicle making the trip out there or just the primary vehicle?

In the same vein, assuming we get orders when they said we would (mid-April), does anyone know how long it takes to schedule a pack out date after that?

I'm pretty sure it's only when coming onto active duty. As I recall, the USUHS students at my orientation didn't get DLA.

How quickly you can schedule packing and shipment of your household goods usually depends on the "local" office. I use quotation marks because the office isn't always local; mine was two hours away. You can try calling them to find out how far out they're scheduling, but you won't be able to arrange anything until you get your orders (or RFO, which I never got as a medical student).

DLA for those with dependants entering active service changed a couple of years ago. You should get it whether or not the government moves you.

If you have dependants (which you do), you can drive two cars to DC and be reimbursed for the mileage.

Depends on how busy your local Move office is. Usually pretty quick.

How long does it usually take to "schedule" a move if you will be doing it yourself?

How long does it usually take to "schedule" a move if you will be doing it yourself?

Can you clarify? If you're doing it yourself, then you should be able to schedule everything at your leisure. Just keep all of your receipts and notify the relevant moving offices as required.

Can you clarify? If you're doing it yourself, then you should be able to schedule everything at your leisure. Just keep all of your receipts and notify the relevant moving offices as required.

I was told that in order to do a self move you must:
1. Have orders in hand
2. Clear every aspect of your move with the move office before spending on it.

Any truth to the second part?

I was told that in order to do a self move you must:
1. Have orders in hand
2. Clear every aspect of your move with the move office before spending on it.

Any truth to the second part?

The housing office will not deny you a do-it-yourself (DITY) move. I mean, nothing is certain in the military, but in three decades in and around the Army I've never seen it happen.

All you really need are your orders, mainly because the moving office probably won't even field your phone calls until you have them. Depending on what type of DITY move you choose (there are options), they'll probably want to at least estimate the weight of your household goods. I've seen this done over the phone and I've seen them send someone to your home.

From that point, it can happen as quickly as you want it to, especially if you're doing the driving yourself. Of course, there are timing and storage issues to consider, but those are separate matters.

I'm sure there are some great websites out there that detail the process. I suggest researching those sites to find out what option is best for you, how much are you entitled to ship (usually based off of rank and dependents), and what documentation will be required. Save everything, in triplicate.

ETA: Q: Any truth to the second part? A: Not really. If you do a true DITY move, meaning you pack, load, ship, store, unload, and unpack everything yourself, then the details (and the liability) are almost completely up to you.

Last edited:
The housing office will not deny you a do-it-yourself (DITY) move. I mean, nothing is certain in the military, but in three decades in and around the Army I've never seen it happen. (...)

Any point in trying to set it up without orders?

Any point in trying to set it up without orders?

All you really need are your orders, mainly because the moving office probably won't even field your phone calls until you have them.

No. Until you have orders, you're just some random faceless person who is probably annoying them by shortening one of their 15 daily coffee/cigarette breaks.

No. Until you have orders, you're just some random faceless person who is probably annoying them by shortening one of their 15 daily coffee/cigarette breaks.

lol Fair enough.