Getting ready to apply for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summertime02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, as I am nearing the end of my training, in the midst of studying for AP/CP boards, I am now starting to think about applying to jobs. I plan to apply to both academic and private jobs and am not regionally confined. I was wondering if anyone could please provide some useful advice, suggestions, etc. how to go about applying and what exactly the process entails? Thanks so much!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Buy some chickens and learn proper sacrificial rituals.

Joking aside, a lot of people have reported recent difficulty in the job hunt -- while others have reported ease. There's a fairly recent thread on it around here somewhere; try scanning through and finding what people who claimed success have said.

Seems to depend a lot on the specialty you're in, if any, and a lot on your current contacts. If you know someone who knows someone, you're in a better position to get a job related to one of the someones. More practical advice would be to update and pretty-up your CV, talk to people you want to use as references, and your program director, and don't get discouraged at rejections or no-call-backs.

For me the process entailed initiating a telephone conversation, possible follow-up conversations including sending my CV, and subsequently hoping for an interview to be offered. Sometimes they would call my references immediately, sometimes not until after interview and a loose offer. Until I had really pretty much decided where I was going and had offers in hand, I didn't turn down or delay any interviews more than I absolutely had to.

You need to narrow your vision of what kind of job you want. It is all well and good to be flexible and open to both academic and private jobs, but you still need to focus a bit more so that you know what you want and what to look for. Start by looking through job ads and seeing what appeals to you, and talk to people in your department about your dilemmas and interests. It does not hurt to look at both academic and private jobs. There are no real rules for how to proceed. It is best to personally contact jobs that you are interested in (not just by shotgunning places with your CV). It is also good to know someone in the group or know someone who knows someone. They can introduce you and get your foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. I am in the midst of a job search myself and I have had some doors open for the reasons above. Namely...

1. Know someone.

2. Know yourself.

I definitely agree with yaah to make personal contact. A phone call can go a long way, and is usually more positively memorable and effective than most of the alternatives. I also agree that you need to develop some general idea of what you want, because some places may do a very spontaneous informal "interview" during that initial phone conversation and outright ask you.."so, what are you looking for in a job?", because they have to decide fairly quickly with limited information whether to spend money on bringing you for a formal face-to-face interview.

When I was making contact, usually I would ask them early what their office was like and what their advertised job entailed on a day-to-day basis; if I could get on top of the conversation like that it allowed me to have some information before telling them about myself and I could address myself in the context of their location & job. But, sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and you want to be at least a little prepared.

Thank you all very much for your advice/suggestions. Hopefully everything will work out for the best!:)