Getting ready to apply - Help me choose where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJA1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought there would be quite a few threads on this but I haven't found precisely what I'm looking for. I finishing up my BS in Interdisciplinary Sciences with a minors in Biology/Psychology next year and also will be done with my paramedic program in a few months. I plan on retaking several classes that I got C's in and working as a ER medic while I finish my senior year. Honestly, I'm in no rush to apply to DO school as I want to make sure I have every aspect of my application in order so that when I do apply, I'll be accepted.

Current Stats: 3.2 CUM/2.9 SCI (with grade replacement I'll be at: 3.4 CUM / 3.3 SCI or better within the next two semesters)

Upon undergrad completion I'll have: AA general, AS EMS, BS Interdisciplinary Science/Minor Biology, Minor Psychology, NREMT-P

Extracurricular/other: ER volunteer 300+ hours, paramedic clinicals 600+ hours, shadowing 100hours, church preschool volunteer, karate/campus MMA club, paramedic class leader, chamber of commerce volunteer, no published research and only minimal exposure (1 paper).

Also noteworthy is the fact that I've had a long and meandering undergrad career with about a half a dozen W's, some F's that I've since retaken.Overall, I have a transcript that demonstrates that I had no idea what I doing for the first several years. This has since turned around and all of my grades are on an upward trend. At 25 y/o married with kid, I consider myself a non-traditional and as such would like to consider what schools I would have the best chances at being accepted.

I also have a background of having a "real" job as a retail store manager that I left to do all of this.

So how does my profile look now? In my best estimate I think it looks fairly solid, though weak in areas of research and of course lacking an MCAT score yet. What could I improve on? Also, being a FLORIDA resident, what should my "Safe" schools be. I plan on applying very early and broad with very little preference for location or prestige of the school. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I thought there would be quite a few threads on this but I haven't found precisely what I'm looking for. I finishing up my BS in Interdisciplinary Sciences with a minor in Biology next year and also will be done with my paramedic program in a few months. I plan on retaking several classes that I got C's in and working as a ER medic while I finish my senior year. Honestly, I'm in no rush to apply to DO school as I want to make sure I have every aspect of my application in order so that when I do apply, I'll be accepted.

Current Stats: 3.2 CUM/2.9 SCI (with grade replacement I'll be at: 3.4 CUM / 3.3 SCI or better within the next two semesters)

Upon undergrad completion I'll have: AA general, AS EMS, BS Interdisciplinary Science/Minor Biology, NREMT-P

Extracurricular/other: ER volunteer 300+ hours, paramedic clinicals 600+ hours, shadowing 100hours, church preschool volunteer, karate/campus MMA club, paramedic class leader, chamber of commerce volunteer, no published research and only minimal exposure (1 paper).

Also noteworthy is the fact that I've had a long and meandering undergrad career with about a half a dozen W's, some F's that I've since retaken.Overall, I have a transcript that demonstrates that I had no idea what I doing for the first several years. This has since turned around and all of my grades are on an upward trend. At 25 y/o married with kid, I consider myself a non-traditional and as such would like to consider what schools I would have the best chances at being accepted.

I also have a background of having a "real" job as a retail store manager that I left to do all of this.

So how does my profile look now? In my best estimate I think it looks fairly solid, though weak in areas of research and of course lacking an MCAT score yet. What could I improve on? Also, being a FLORIDA resident, what should my "Safe" schools be. I plan on applying very early and broad with very little preference for location or prestige of the school. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Your school list will be very dependent on your MCAT score since your GPA will still be on the low side.

30+ and you can apply anywhere; though I'd not recommend Western-Pomona or CCOM as they are GPA schools.

Besides the kid and spouse, your application looks very similar to mine. Get a 32-35 and I'll have better info for you than I do right now.

C in organic 1, on track to get an A in organic 2 which I'm taking now. For the MCAT, lets say I get a 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
C in organic 1, on track to get an A in organic 2 which I'm taking now. For the MCAT, lets say I get a 25.

3.4c/3.3s/25?

ACOM
LMU
KYCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
LECOMs maybe
WCU
PNWU maybe
NSU maybe since you're in FL, though I don't know if they care about IS/OOS.

3.4c/3.3s/25?

ACOM
LMU
KYCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
LECOMs maybe
WCU
PNWU maybe
NSU maybe since you're in FL, though I don't know if they care about IS/OOS.

I dont think NSU cares thanks to our freat governor. Your best best is to aim for 26+ since Nova is an MCAT heavy school and the average MCAT score is a 27 last year.

You are going to really want a strong MCAT. So put the time into it as this will lift a huge weight off you. Check out the MCAT study threads and SN2ed study plan. It works if you can put in the time. Hitting say a 32 opens doors to MD and DO schools not only that strong paramedic experience is also a plus.Only weakness is that GPA. All the school noted so far are great I would just like to add that WCU, William Carry, does prefer Mississippi residents. You may also want to look into post-bacc programs and SMPs. Lots of these programs get people in within a year ( some within the same year) of graduation to both MD and DO schools. With a strong MCAT they maybe a good option for you. Check out SDN's postbacc section for more info on that.

I thought there would be quite a few threads on this but I haven't found precisely what I'm looking for. I finishing up my BS in Interdisciplinary Sciences with a minors in Biology/Psychology next year and also will be done with my paramedic program in a few months. I plan on retaking several classes that I got C's in and working as a ER medic while I finish my senior year. Honestly, I'm in no rush to apply to DO school as I want to make sure I have every aspect of my application in order so that when I do apply, I'll be accepted.

Upon undergrad completion I'll have: AA general, AS EMS, BS Interdisciplinary Science/Minor Biology, Minor Psychology, NREMT-P

I'm a Florida resident also and just got in this year to start in August. My gaps are about a point higher than yours will be (what u estimated after grade replacement)

Nova is an MCAT heavy school so wether u apply to nova is dependent on ur MCAT as is a vast majority of the schools but based on my experience this cycle, as long as ur gpa ends up being as good as u say it will be after grade replacement and ur MCAT is 25+ I would look into

ACOM
WCU
CUSOM
LMU
PCOM-GA
NSU(granted ur MCAT is around 27ish)

That being said, if ur MCAT is 27+ you should be good at pretty much any DO school

I'm a Florida resident also and just got in this year to start in August. My gaps are about a point higher than yours will be (what u estimated after grade replacement)

Nova is an MCAT heavy school so wether u apply to nova is dependent on ur MCAT as is a vast majority of the schools but based on my experience this cycle, as long as ur gpa ends up being as good as u say it will be after grade replacement and ur MCAT is 25+ I would look into

ACOM
WCU
CUSOM
LMU
PCOM-GA
NSU(granted ur MCAT is around 27ish)

That being said, if ur MCAT is 27+ you should be good at pretty much any DO school

I appreciate the comments, what was your MCAT? Anything that stood out among your EC's that Nova liked?

BTW, just updated my GPA using the AACOMAS excel calculator and my current sGPA is actually 3.1 :D

Mods:

Please move to WAMC