Getting residency status after 1st year- schools where this is possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astarblaze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any states/schools where it's relatively easy to get in-state tuition/residency after the first year?

Anyone have any experience with this at your school or know classmates who start out classified as out-of-state but have been able to get residency status after the first year, without buying a house or having a significant other working in the state?

Or, alternately, schools that offer tuition waivers to out-of-state students to reduce tuition to in-state prices?

Thanks folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I can speak for myself, I recently graduated from Azusa Pacific University and we have a great reputation amongst the So-Cal Kaiser Permanente Orthopedic Residency program. Of the 30 or so spots for the residency, 13 of them include myself and 12 of my classmates. Apparently 2 of the other spots include previous Azusa Pacific DPT students.
There are lots of residencies out there you just need to know what you're looking to get out of it.

I'm pretty sure the OP meant getting state residency during the DPT program itself, to qualify for in-state tuition. At TWU, most out-of-state students have gotten scholarships for in-state tuition for all three years, and some students have been able to get Texas residency if they are married to someone who works full-time after a year. When I applied to NAU several years ago, students told me they all were able to get Arizona residency after a year, and NAU offered a limited number of tuition waivers for the first year. I'm not sure if that's still possible in Arizona these days, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is still possible to get the instate tuition at NAU after a year, but the timing and criteria can be tricky. The amount of financial support varies between the two campuses, but there are some tuition waivers and the like available.

Thanks tweaze and okramango! I had heard about NAU, but not about TWU. Was hoping to apply to TWU from out-of-state, anyways- this makes TWU even more appealing.

I spoke with a current and a former University of Utah student, and both indicated that getting in-state tuition after the first year of the program there is also very easy to do. :)

Do folks know of any other programs where this sort of thing is do-able?

University of Colorado - Denver you can also get in-state tuition after a year which has been great.

University of Colorado - Denver you can also get in-state tuition after a year which has been great.

It sounds like you were able to get in-state tuition after the first year? Did you need to do anything beyond 1 year of rent records/CO driver's license/voting in-state?

Yup! That's exactly what I did. School started at the end of May for me so I only had a week or so to go to the DMV and get my license and registration so I could have in-state by the time the following summer started.

Add Eastern Washington University to the list.

Reactions: 1 user