Getting started in SNF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lejeunesage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have done SNF work, how do you get your foot in the door?

I've reached out to a bunch of SNFs and only one every got back to me. And even then, they only consulted me sporadically.

I discussed this with a Nursing Home Administrator and she told me that ever since the payment model switched to SNF, every time the SNF consults you, you're basically taking money out of their profit margin. Is this true?

If so, what's the best pitch to make if you're trying to get started.
I've discussed how I could capture complexity by adding more diagnostic codes and address pain issues with medication management and injections to enable the patients to progress faster in therapy. But so far I haven't had any luck. I've reached out to Administrators and Regional VPs but so far I haven't had any takers.

What am I doing wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

“I discussed this with a Nursing Home Administrator and she told me that ever since the payment model switched to SNF, every time the SNF consults you, you're basically taking money out of their profit margin. Is this true?”
Not true

Consider using a staffing company to get going.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone I know that has done it used a company to set up the meetings and get in the door. Im guessing that after you have worked for one of those companies a while you would better know the ins and outs of how it is done. You may not be presenting it in the correct way to show how you can help make them more money. I see recruiting and job postings for the companies that set up SNF rehab all the time so if it wasnt working, they would not be posting those and looking for more physiatrists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just give them the AAPMR position statement on SNF. That will show em

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I wish it was as easy as showing them the statement.

Reactions: 1 user
Medrina formerly known as IRC has 600+ providers, US Physiatry has 100+ and a bunch of smaller groups have 15-20. There is a secret sauce on how this is presented and has to usually come top down (C suite versus admin/regional)

Reactions: 2 users