Getting Started....Too Late/Far Behind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brit1329

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on my associates of arts degree at a community college. I am 28, married, and have 2 children (7 and 2). I have been really struggling with what I want to do when I finish my associates, and finally realized I really want to go to medical school. But, I'm not sure if I will even be able to.

I originally went to school right out of high school. I went off and on, with several semesters of unofficial withdraws. The semesters that I went, I got pretty good grades, but the semesters that I didn't finish really brought down my overall GPA.

My GPA from my previous school credits (40 completed credit hours) is only a 1.734.

If I were to get great grades from here on out and score high on my MCAT, would there be any chance of getting accepted into a medical school after my bachelor's degree. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it easier for me to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Unofficial withdrawal = Failing Grade, no use sugar coating it.

And that GPA is abysmal, but there is hope. Since it's only 40 Credits (as opposed to 120+ credits) you could retake the classes you failed in a year and finish the pre-reqs you haven't completed yet and apply DO within the next cycle or two.

I doubt you have much of a chance MD wise, but definitely DO. Aim for a 28+ and you'll be a shoe in. Your chances definitely aren't over, but start working hard here on out.

Good luck

You definitely have a chance, but you also have a ton of work to do. You need to do everything that Darklabel said (Get good grades, get some good volunteer / clinical experience, do well on the MCAT, etc) and then some.

You're in for a long haul, but if its what you really want then you should go for it. Does your spouse support your decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the reply.

The only reason I noted that it was from unofficial withdraws is that I didn't actually finish the classes and do poorly, I just ended up leaving my classes for personal reasons at the time. I know it probably doesn't change much on any applications, and certainly not on my transcripts.

So, I probably don't have a chance at MD even if I were to get great grades from here on out and do the rest of the things that you mentioned darklabel?

Also, my husband and I have talked about it quite a bit and he is very much in support of me and realizes that it is going to be a lot of work and sacrifice for both of us.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this, but if you take a new undergrad (instead of wasting years repeating courses), some universities will see your new trend, especially because your old undergrad was a while ago (and you're a non-trad). Talk to adcoms.

Thank you as well ashpremed. I am hoping that will be the case if I show consistent good grades since I have started over.

I would suggest you retake all your old coursework. All of the unofficial withdrawals. Do well in your prereqs, study hard and score well on the MCAT. And start volunteering. Find a long term project that keeps your passion alive and shows you care.

Thank you both for the reply.

The only reason I noted that it was from unofficial withdraws is that I didn't actually finish the classes and do poorly, I just ended up leaving my classes for personal reasons at the time. I know it probably doesn't change much on any applications, and certainly not on my transcripts.

So, I probably don't have a chance at MD even if I were to get great grades from here on out and do the rest of the things that you mentioned darklabel?

Also, my husband and I have talked about it quite a bit and he is very much in support of me and realizes that it is going to be a lot of work and sacrifice for both of us.

You may since they are rather old grades, so as said, just retake all those failed classes and you should be ok. But you won't be able to be regionally biased about what school to attend. If you're shooting for MD, apply very broadly, early and only towards mostly low tier MD school's and a few mid tiers as reach schools.

Also realize all schools need an Undergraduate degree (didn't see if you got one), volunteering, some clinical exposure and DO/MD shadowing. Its very recommended that you do it in a four year institution (as opposed to CC) and you'll be taking 15+ credits so it will be very difficult holding down a full time job.

AACOMAs allows grade replacement (so all those W's, F's, D's can be wiped off and replaced) making it easier to raise your GPA much more quickly. AMCAs takes all your grades into account so it will be a bit of a long haul there tho some schools may ignore your old grades.

Anyways, just work hard for right now and when the time comes, score well on your MCAT

Good luck.