GI, Constantly Growing and Exciting!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing so much about GI. That its constantly growing more exciting. Can anyone tell me why is this so and also explain what a GI doc basically does. I would also like to know how a GI Doc can perform surgery and how he would go about learning these procedures.

What do GI Docs make these days?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

NO surgery, GI is an internal medicine specialty; however, many of the things that a GI docs does, surgeons are trained to do these things as well: colonoscopies, egd's etc.

Reason why GI is becoming hot, many new procedures and advances out there, esophagela dilation, ERCP, etc. Also, right now, reimbursements on GI procedures are pretty good too, so lots of $$$$. As you know, if there is ANY Field that pays out, people run to it.

Lastly, GI docs are trained in liver diseases, some more than others.

I am sure others can offer you more info than me .

People are getting fatter and eating less healthy., so I guess GI is constantly growing (literally and metaphorically) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. GI is growing fast with high demand due to several reasons. It's very rewarding in many ways and the life style is better than cardiology or surgery (called most lucrative medicine subspeciality). It offers many possible career pathways. You can be sub-specialzed in immunology, ID (hepatitis & HIV, etc.), oncology (gastric, GI, panc, hepatic ca), path, pancreatology & endocrinology, hepatology, trasnplant medicine (stomach, pancreas, small bowel, and liver), and endoscopic surgeries... You can foster your career in any of the combos (you don't have to scopes if you don't want to).

If you like procedures, one of options is the interventional endoscopic surgery. The traditional GI procedures are: ERCP with stent/Bx, EUS, capsule endoscope, chromoscope, EGD, colonoscopy, TIPS, PEG, and PEGE.
Due to the evolving high tech, these endoscopists are becoming more invasive with their new extraluminal/endoluminal endoscopic surgeries (for example, endoscopic bariatric surgery, endoscopic fundoplication, partial esophagectomy, extraluminal lymph node biopsy, pancreatic pseudocyst drainage, biliary ca/hepatoma seeding, intrapancreastic cancer radiation seeding, extra-GI luminal mass or LN biopsy (abd/pelv), biliary drainage, etc). You can find these emerging technological advances in recent GI meetings (DDW, ASGE, Euro GI, Japan, etc.). The future implications from these are endless.

If you don't like to do any procedure, you can focus on other areas mentioned earlier: one of those is the transplantation medicine (of liver, small bowel, pancreas, stomach). Transplant medicine is one of the fastest growing medicine area.

june
PGY-1, Internal Medicine

june015b said:
Yes. GI is growing fast with high demand due to several reasons. It's very rewarding in many ways and the life style is better than cardiology or surgery (called most lucrative medicine subspeciality). It offers many possible career pathways. You can be sub-specialzed in immunology, ID (hepatitis & HIV, etc.), oncology (gastric, GI, panc, hepatic ca), path, pancreatology & endocrinology, hepatology, trasnplant medicine (stomach, pancreas, small bowel, and liver), and endoscopic surgeries... You can foster your career in any of the combos (you don't have to scopes if you don't want to).

If you like procedures, one of options is the interventional endoscopic surgery. The traditional GI procedures are: ERCP with stent/Bx, EUS, capsule endoscope, chromoscope, EGD, colonoscopy, TIPS, PEG, and PEGE.
Due to the evolving high tech, these endoscopists are becoming more invasive with their new extraluminal/endoluminal endoscopic surgeries (for example, endoscopic bariatric surgery, endoscopic fundoplication, partial esophagectomy, extraluminal lymph node biopsy, pancreatic pseudocyst drainage, biliary ca/hepatoma seeding, intrapancreastic cancer radiation seeding, extra-GI luminal mass or LN biopsy (abd/pelv), biliary drainage, etc). You can find these emerging technological advances in recent GI meetings (DDW, ASGE, Euro GI, Japan, etc.). The future implications from these are endless.

If you don't like to do any procedure, you can focus on other areas mentioned earlier: one of those is the transplantation medicine (of liver, small bowel, pancreas, stomach). Transplant medicine is one of the fastest growing medicine area.

june
PGY-1, Internal Medicine