GI Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone posted the Cards match stats.

Wondering if there is analogous information for GI match stats. If so, where do you find it.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no GI Match, so I don't believe this information is available. Starting next year, there will be a match, so they will probably start to keep track of the numbers.

How hard is it to get into GI, in general? Anyone have any info to share related to this at all? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
julestx said:
How hard is it to get into GI, in general? Anyone have any info to share related to this at all? Thanks...

I also have the same question, but it seems like since GI is not based on the match, its a little difficult to say, so it kinda becomes a "guessing game" based on the input of others. it has been repeatedly said that GI is the second hardest fellowship to get after cardio...now, looking at what another post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=209830) stated:

"There were 660 cardiology positions - 657 were filled; 3 went unfilled. Does anyone know how many people applied....I think the number is around 1450-1500 (around a 44-45% match rate).."

going be this, i think it would be reasonable to think that if cardio (the hardest fellowship to get) gets filled about 45% of the time, then GI could get filled about 55% of the time. acgme says that last year there were 1195 GI position filled....even assuming 100% fill rate, this means that there would be approximately 2200 applicants...

these are ALL ASSUMPTIONS and not based on any concrete evidence....also, keep in mind that this takes into consideration all the spots which were given to FMGs, who traditionally have a more difficult time obtaining fellowships in general....

what I don't understand is that if there are 157 GI fellowship programs in the nation and there are AT LEAST 1195 postions filled, then that means that there are 7.61 spots per program!?!?!?!?!? :confused: :confused:

doesn't that seem like ALOT of spots per program, especially considering that there are SO MANY places I have looked on on the web that say that there are only 2-3 felloship spots!

VERY CONFUSED!!!! Any help!?!?!?

medlaw06 said:
I also have the same question, but it seems like since GI is not based on the match, its a little difficult to say, so it kinda becomes a "guessing game" based on the input of others. it has been repeatedly said that GI is the second hardest fellowship to get after cardio...now, looking at what another post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=209830) stated:

"There were 660 cardiology positions - 657 were filled; 3 went unfilled. Does anyone know how many people applied....I think the number is around 1450-1500 (around a 44-45% match rate).."

going be this, i think it would be reasonable to think that if cardio (the hardest fellowship to get) gets filled about 45% of the time, then GI could get filled about 55% of the time. acgme says that last year there were 1195 GI position filled....even assuming 100% fill rate, this means that there would be approximately 2200 applicants...

these are ALL ASSUMPTIONS and not based on any concrete evidence....also, keep in mind that this takes into consideration all the spots which were given to FMGs, who traditionally have a more difficult time obtaining fellowships in general....

what I don't understand is that if there are 157 GI fellowship programs in the nation and there are AT LEAST 1195 postions filled, then that means that there are 7.61 spots per program!?!?!?!?!? :confused: :confused:

doesn't that seem like ALOT of spots per program, especially considering that there are SO MANY places I have looked on on the web that say that there are only 2-3 felloship spots!

VERY CONFUSED!!!! Any help!?!?!?

some might say (and would have a valid argument) that GI is actually more competitive than Cards given that there are fewer GI programs, but nearly as many GI applicants. Most GI programs tend to have 2-3 clinical spots, but many also have research positions that may or may not be advertised (which may explain the numbers discrepancy?). many programs receive hundereds of applications per clinical spot, so regardless, it's competitive.

as i have been corrected in a previous thread, GI is now having a match this upcoming application cycle (for positions starting 2007). So by next year, stats may be available to help quantify the competitiveness (though keep in mind that several programs are probably not participating in the match).