MD & DO Give it to me straight. Chances? Worth applying MD? Need Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a 3.83 cGPA & 3.85 sGPA. My MCAT is a 25 (8/7/10). CA resident.
ECs:
Hospital volunteering - 150+ hrs
Hospice volunteering - 50+ hrs
Research - 300+ hrs research
Many club leadership positions: long term and short term
Gen. chem and O. chem tutor - 80+ hrs
Many different community service activities - food bank, homeless shelter, free clinics.
Shadowing (MD+DO) - 100+ hrs

I am applying for this upcoming app cycle. I was hoping people can suggest DO schools that I have a decent chance of getting accepted into.
Should I even bother applying to MD schools? I have get 15 free apps through AMCAS FAP, so I guess it would be a good idea. But then again, I don't know if it would be worth the effort given my MCAT score. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're willing to put in the time, sure, give the free apps a shot

you're in range for any DO school, except the rare few which require 8s in each subsection. maybe @Goro can help you out with identifying those

Most DO schools would consider you. I believe some of the Tuoros and CCOM may be out of your range along with maybe PCOM, but other than that I think you might be fine. Goro would have the best knowledge of this though.

Also, if the MD apps are free and you're willing to put the effort in then there's no reason not to apply. Just make sure most of them are significantly less competitive if you actually want a chance of acceptance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No azcom or ccom. Skip state schools like msucom, and heritage. Some people say stay away from liberty but in your case give it a shot .

If you are fluent in Spanish, all but one of the Puerto Rican schools consider mainlanders. Don't waste your FAP on CA MD schools (maybe Loma Linda if you are devout). If you can find MD schools where you are close to the 10th%, I guess it's just your time...

Reactions: 1 users
If I were you I would strongly consider waiting a year, applying next cycle, and using this gap year to re-take the MCAT and knock it out of the park. With that GPA and a solid MCAT, you'd be golden for many MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you I would strongly consider waiting a year, applying next cycle, and using this gap year to re-take the MCAT and knock it out of the park. With that GPA and a solid MCAT, you'd be golden for many MD schools.
That's the thing. I hurried and took the old MCAT because I really didn't want to take the new one. I had my mind set when I took the MCAT that regardless of the score I get, I will not retake.

If you are fluent in Spanish, all but one of the Puerto Rican schools consider mainlanders. Don't waste your FAP on CA MD schools (maybe Loma Linda if you are devout). If you can find MD schools where you are close to the 10th%, I guess it's just your time...
Unfortunately, I do not speak Spanish at all.

Concur. Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Most DO schools would consider you. I believe some of the Tuoros and CCOM may be out of your range along with maybe PCOM, but other than that I think you might be fine. Goro would have the best knowledge of this though.

Also, if the MD apps are free and you're willing to put the effort in then there's no reason not to apply. Just make sure most of them are significantly less competitive if you actually want a chance of acceptance.

That's the thing. I hurried and took the old MCAT because I really didn't want to take the new one. I had my mind set when I took the MCAT that regardless of the score I get, I will not retake.

20/20 hindsight, but that was a pretty bad plan. I agree with others that with a 30+ equivalent you could have had a very legitimate shot at MDs schools and would have been competitive for any DO. A 25 hurts and will be frowned upon by several DO schools especially since the average MCAT has been steadily rising. 3 years ago my school's average was around 26, next year's class average is a 29.

Fortunately, the rest of your app is solid, which is the only reason I'm saying you've got a good shot at most DO schools. However, I'd apply as early as possible (Primaries in June, secondaries by mid-August) and be prepared to retake the MCAT next February/March should things not work out. Biggest lesson I've learned throughout the process has been to always have a back-up plan. I've seen plenty of people go all-or-nothing and fail while most people that had a plan B ready eventually made it.

Reactions: 1 user
I know not the best plan. I really hope I can get in somewhere this upcoming cycle because I absolutely dread the thought of re-taking the MCAT. Hopefully, the rest of my app can help adcoms overlook the MCAT.

20/20 hindsight, but that was a pretty bad plan. I agree with others that with a 30+ equivalent you could have had a very legitimate shot at MDs schools and would have been competitive for any DO. A 25 hurts and will be frowned upon by several DO schools especially since the average MCAT has been steadily rising. 3 years ago my school's average was around 26, next year's class average is a 29.

Fortunately, the rest of your app is solid, which is the only reason I'm saying you've got a good shot at most DO schools. However, I'd apply as early as possible (Primaries in June, secondaries by mid-August) and be prepared to retake the MCAT next February/March should things not work out. Biggest lesson I've learned throughout the process has been to always have a back-up plan. I've seen plenty of people go all-or-nothing and fail while most people that had a plan B ready eventually made it.
Do you think I would have heard back from most schools by December (if I am not waitlisted)? I don't want to be studying for the MCAT while still waiting on schools to get back to me. This is assuming that I submit my primary and secondary app ASAP.

Eh, your gpa isn't bad.

Given the new MCAT, not sure what exactly to do, but I had a shoddy gpa with a shoddy mcat (24) and retook it for a score int he 35 range. Applied allopathic and got 8 interviews with 2 acceptances. I can't tell if you want to go to a DO or you're just going to it by default. Personally, I'd make sure you have all of your stuff together before you go further.

It just sounds very rushed and all you want to go is 'get into any med school' as quickly as possible. I'd encourage you to slow down, think carefully about potnetially retaking it, and if you follow through, applying MDs might be worthwhile. At this point, yes MDs seems a long shot, and it seems like you're treating DOs purely as a backup. Being in the position of considering residencies and whatnot, being a DO does make it challenging if you're not planning to do primary care in a less-desirable location (in general).