DO Give me the lowdown: my chances and where I should apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeDO14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all!

Just wanted some advice on applying to DO school based on my stats. I'll give you all the quick version:

MCAT 25 (PS9 / V8 / BS8), sGPA ~3.6, overall GPA 3.68, non-science GPA 3.8.

BS in Biology, minors in Chemistry/Environmental Science.

Experience/extracurricular:

- Scribe at Level 1 Trauma ED
- Monthly shadowing w/ MD who works specifically with eating disorder patients
- Undergrad research (however, not directly bio/chem related)
- Community service at assisted living facility, LGBTQ center, and other events associated w/ sorority I am a part of

If you want more info, let me know! Honesty appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you interview well and aren't a complete weirdo I'm sure you will have multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have thought about it. The first time around I didn't give myself enough time to study and decided against a prep course. The only thing that has been holding me back is the fact that it's the new MCAT. I feel like I don't have enough time to study now that it is so close to the new cycle of applications. Don't want to make the same mistake of rushing the MCAT.

^This is perfect. Easy to see where you applied and how things panned out. Thanks!!!

Apply broadly and you''' be fine. Skip CCOM, Western, the NY and CA Touros, and AZCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Greetings to all!

Just wanted some advice on applying to DO school based on my stats. I'll give you all the quick version:

MCAT 25 (PS9 / V8 / BS8), sGPA ~3.6, overall GPA 3.68, non-science GPA 3.8.

BS in Biology, minors in Chemistry/Environmental Science.

Experience/extracurricular:

- Scribe at Level 1 Trauma ED
- Monthly shadowing w/ MD who works specifically with eating disorder patients
- Undergrad research (however, not directly bio/chem related)
- Community service at assisted living facility, LGBTQ center, and other events associated w/ sorority I am a part of

If you want more info, let me know! Honesty appreciated :)

Thanks @Goro. Based on what you know, do you think I could sneak an interview with Rocky Vista or ASTU-SOMA? (closer to home)

@Goro, I'll give you a more specific outline of where I am planning on applying (have some reach schools on my list).

In no apparent order:

1. ASTU-SOMA

2. AZCOM

3. CCOM

4. GA-PCOM

5. KCU-COM

6. LECOM (Bradenton)

7. NYIT-COM (NYCOM)

8. NSU-COM

9. OSU-COM

10. PNWU-COM

11. PCOM

12. RVU-COM (From Colorad0)

13. TouroCOM-NY

14. TouroCOM-CA

15. UNTHSC/TCOM

16. VCOM-Auburn

17. WesternU/COMP

So, a very broad list. Besides the feedback you already gave me on the reach schools, how do you think my chances look from this list?

Thank you so much for your help. Just want to know where to specifically harness my efforts (have little outside help with the application process).

I suggest

1. ASTU-SOMA

4. GA-PCOM

5. KCU-COM

6. LECOM (Bradenton)

7. NYIT-COM (NYCOM)

8. NSU-COM

10. PNWU-COM

11. PCOM

12. RVU-COM (From Colorad0)

16. VCOM-Auburn

17. WesternU/COMP