GME cooperation for MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notinkansas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I read someplace (can't find it again) that there is going to be a phase in of the same accreditation for MD & DO in FM programs. Anybody else hear of this? Will this end the DO only and MD only training programs?

Members don't see this ad.

http://acgme.org/acgmeweb/

The only real change here is that a residency no longer has to do double work if it wants to take both. Generally the residencies affected are those that have a harder time getting applicants and have hesitated to start taking DO's because they don't have the bandwidth to double accredit or to support the additional requirements for DO's (OMM). The change doesn't make it any easier for a DO to get an "MD" residency unless the residency does proactive work.

There will still be programs that only take DO's and programs that only take MD's.

There will still be programs that only take DO's and programs that only take MD's.

By choice that is. And with all residencies under the ACGME umbrella, the numbers of DO-only programs will begin to decrease relatively speaking (especially w IMGs filling the previously consistent unfilled spots for the next 8-10 years). But in all honesty, is this really going to make that much of a difference in FM? There's probably only a small handful (if that) of FM programs who don't take DOs to begin with. Even some of the top notch programs have a few. The merger is a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
so IMGs can now also apply to DO programs, also do we have to take the comlex exams or we can use usmles for DO programs
thx

Lots of the fine details have yet to be ironed out. I would be very surprised, however, if any of the old guard DO programs part ways with their precious COMLEX anytime soon. Any non-DO applying to AOA residencies will have to show some competency in OMT. Don't know how you could do that without some prior training like a dedicated symposium or something like that--DOs spend 300-400 curriculum hours learning it in M1-M2. I know for me it took me several months to wrap my head around most of the osteopathic concepts--I just didn't "get" it. Eventually parts of it clicked but I only use what I find useful for me. I also didn't apply to any DO residencies.

so IMGs can now also apply to DO programs, also do we have to take the comlex exams or we can use usmles for DO programs
thx
Right now it looks like the doors will be open for IMGs and they would only have to take the USMLE. DO's on the other hand will still need the COMLEX for licensing reasons. Add that to the fact that it's a major cash cow and we can assume that it's not going away anytime soon. But I wouldn't expect anyone but DO students to be required to take it. But as Donna said, details are still pending.

Lots of the fine details have yet to be ironed out. I would be very surprised, however, if any of the old guard DO programs part ways with their precious COMLEX anytime soon. Any non-DO applying to AOA residencies will have to show some competency in OMT. Don't know how you could do that without some prior training like a dedicated symposium or something like that--DOs spend 300-400 curriculum hours learning it in M1-M2. I know for me it took me several months to wrap my head around most of the osteopathic concepts--I just didn't "get" it. Eventually parts of it clicked but I only use what I find useful for me. I also didn't apply to any DO residencies.

With the all the power in the hands of the ACGME (and let's face it, they are in the process of just gobbling up the AOA, slowly digesting it, and transforming it into something of its own) I bet they only require a dumbed down version of what we have to go through in OMM… and by that I mean some basics out of Savarese. But yeah, who knows what they will have to do? If it's a legit test (like the ones we take in school) it's not going to be easy to just slide on by. Just the sacrum alone may have them saying "ah screw this!" And what about a practical component? It can't just be written. (Ooh… sounds like another way to make some $$$ for the powers that be).

Reactions: 1 user
OMG sacrum...shoot me now. Allopaths have never even heard of innominates!

Reactions: 1 user
Theoretically, would US MD's then be able to match at programs that have been DO only?