GMO and go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that are looking to use HPSP and do the GMO tours and then get out and do civilian residency, do residency programs make you repeat the intern year? Would EM, anesthesia, radiology, derm, etc. allow you to jump in at PGY2?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For those that are looking to use HPSP and do the GMO tours and then get out and do civilian residency, do residency programs make you repeat the intern year? Would EM, anesthesia, radiology, derm, etc. allow you to jump in at PGY2?

Thanks.

bump

bump

also, how does applying for a PGY2 civilian spot work while you're in your last year of a 4 year GMO tour? I know you have to file paperwork to separate like a year ahead of time, but is interviewing during interview season a problem? And since the PGY2 spot wouldn't really be starting until a year later, what do you do in your off time, repeat a TY/internship year?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to individual PDs how much credit you get, and it depends on your internship. For example, say you do a prelim IM year before completing a 3 year HPSP GMO payback. You want to go back into IM, a reasonable PD should credit you with all of that year and let you start as a PGY2. Another PD in a less related field might give you a couple months' credit, however you'd roll in as a PGY-1 with space to fill (for example you might be able to fill that credited time with elective or research blocks).

There are funding factors at play also, not to mention how competent you personally might feel after an extended GMO tour doing admin work/sick call then jumping back into 'real' medicine with the responsibility of a PGY-2 vs a PGY-1.

When applying to advanced positions, you typically apply an extra year out. So if you're set to finish a 4-year payback in 2015, you'd apply to programs during the summer/fall of 2013. At least for the AF you should get some amount of permissive TDY from your squadron to travel/interview as per AFI 36-3003. Can sometimes be complicated by operational considerations however, so kinda hard to interview at dozens of places when you're living out of a tent in Konar province, Afghanistan.

Thanks.

Most residency programs have specific requirements for what the residents must learn during their PGY-1 year. The ACGME lists these requirements on their webpage: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/navPages/nav_999.asp#PR Go to this link: "Specialty-specific Requirements for PG-1 or Clinical Base Year (CBY) and Frequency of Resident Evaluations" under Program Resources.

So, to answer your question, you should only have to repeat intern year (or portions thereof) if you have not completed the specific requirements for the specialty of your choice during your intern year. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Most residency programs have specific requirements for what the residents must learn during their PGY-1 year. The ACGME lists these requirements on their webpage: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/navPages/nav_999.asp#PR Go to this link: "Specialty-specific Requirements for PG-1 or Clinical Base Year (CBY) and Frequency of Resident Evaluations" under Program Resources.

For example, to start a diagnostic radiology residency you must have 6 months of IM/Gen Surg/OB-GYN/Peds with 1 month in the ICU, 1 month of ambulatory medicine, 1 month of emergency medicine, and NO MORE THAN 2 months of Radiology electives.

So, to answer your question, you should only have to repeat intern year (or portions thereof) if you have not completed the specific requirements for the specialty of your choice during your intern year. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense as well as the other post above. I was already thinking about the "how comfortable would I feel" bit as well. Probably not very!

Most guys I know what have gone on to do one of the specialties where a preliminary year is required jump right in straight after GMO-land. Examples like Derm, Ophtho, Rads, Gas, etc.

A lot of other fields where the Intern year is more an integral component to the residency tend to do redo the entire Intern Year without taking little-to-no credit for whatever preliminary year they did- Family Med, Emergeny Medicine, etc.

~Smiley:cool:

Most guys I know what have gone on to do one of the specialties where a preliminary year is required jump right in straight after GMO-land. Examples like Derm, Ophtho, Rads, Gas, etc.

A lot of other fields where the Intern year is more an integral component to the residency tend to do redo the entire Intern Year without taking little-to-no credit for whatever preliminary year they did- Family Med, Emergeny Medicine, etc.

That is they way I thought it might be. Thanks.

I've never heard of a former GMO/Flight Surgeon having to repeat PGY1 prior to starting a civilian residency. It's possible if you did a transitional or prelim medicine year and wanted to do civilian surgery or a surgical subspecialty residency.

I've never heard of a former GMO/Flight Surgeon having to repeat PGY1 prior to starting a civilian residency. It's possible if you did a transitional or prelim medicine year and wanted to do civilian surgery or a surgical subspecialty residency.

I knew a Navy Flight Doc- he did a prelim surgery year, did his time, then got out and did a General Surgery residency- he repeated his intern year (no idea if it was his choice).