Army GMO and/or Flight Surgeon billet question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahowardmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten myself into a pickle, and I thought maybe somebody here can offer a more experienced perspective on my situation. In short, I'm an intern with a 7 year ADSO, staring down the barrel of 7 years as a GMO/FS until I can get out of the military. I've realized (I think) through the course of medical school and internship that I'm not particularly interested in any certain specialty. I half-heartedly applied to IM residency this year (with good USMLE scores and promising interviews), but failed my APFT, which put the nails into that coffin. So looking on the bright side, I thought GMO/FS might just be the best thing for me, and I ranked Germany/Italy/anywhere OCONUS on the top of my list and hoped for the best. Well to complicate things, I recently had some personal matters come up and took a leave of absence from my program to take care of them, which will delay my graduation from internship and place me off-cycle. I communicated this to the GMO assignment officer, and he actually responded saying "well I had you down for Germany, but looks like we're going to have to cancel that...now your options are very limited given your off-cycle graduation". Naturally, I'm crushed. The hope of greener pastures was motivating me through this internship.

Does anybody here have experience with being off-cycle? I'm trying to stay positive and hope that something cool opens up and I can still do something operational 61N/62B, but the thought keeps popping into my head "your options are very limited".

To be clear, I'm looking to do something administrative with just a smattering of clinic, or something in the field, until my ADSO is up, and I can transition into non-clinical work as a civilian. I considered leaving internship altogether because of my lack of interest in any particular specialty, but that option was fraught with warning signs such as "you won't be able to use your MD in the private sector without at least internship completed", and "due to the Army draw-down and shift from war-time to garrison environment, you'll likely be other-than-honorably discharged with $$$$$$$ debt for your medical school and internship training". The obvious course of action to me would be complete the internship and go have fun in the field taking care of soldiers for a few years...and here we are. Any perspective/wisdom/advice that y'all can provide is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You need an advocate. You need to find someone who is senior enough and thinks highly of you that can call the detailed, et al on your behalf and vouch/advocate for you.

Someone who can say, yes these are issues but despite that they are going to do great at XYZ and I highly recommend them for XYZ job.

Given a PFT failure and other issues delaying your graduation that my be hard to find, but there's probably at least one person out there. Even this may not work as essentially you are going to be "needs of the Army", but I've seen weird things happen where people get amazing billets just because they are the only ones left when a great job becomes open all the sudden.

Reactions: 1 user
I was off cycle too. Yes, your options are limited, but limited options means less options, not necessarily bad options. I have to wonder about your level of motivation. Wanting to quit internship, not being interested in medicine, and failing your APFT don't paint a pretty picture. I'm sure you know that, but if somebody isn't motivated medically and isn't motivated militarily, it's a tough road to go into military medicine.

I'm guessing that if you owe 7 years, you were either USUHS or ROTC. You have a LONG commitment ahead of you doing something you don't like. You could also look into options about changing corps, but I'm not sure what options you'd have.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get whatever billet is there when you finish. You won't have much say in the matter. If you want a nonclininal job in medicine, you'll be better served by finishing a prev med or occ med residency and getting some management experience in the .mil.

You will get whatever billet is there when you finish. You won't have much say in the matter. If you want a nonclininal job in medicine, you'll be better served by finishing a prev med or occ med residency and getting some management experience in the .mil.

OP, if you're leaning more towards the management side of things, here's .mil's inhouse program:

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/mha/

I was off cycle too. Yes, your options are limited, but limited options means less options, not necessarily bad options. I have to wonder about your level of motivation. Wanting to quit internship, not being interested in medicine, and failing your APFT don't paint a pretty picture. I'm sure you know that, but if somebody isn't motivated medically and isn't motivated militarily, it's a tough road to go into military medicine.

I'm guessing that if you owe 7 years, you were either USUHS or ROTC. You have a LONG commitment ahead of you doing something you don't like. You could also look into options about changing corps, but I'm not sure what options you'd have.

I can admit, my motivation level was not where it should have been throughout most of my internship. But with help from BH and some time to work on myself through counseling, I've found renewed motivation and strength. Now I just have to fight my way out of the hole I've dug.

OP, if you're leaning more towards the management side of things, here's .mil's inhouse program:

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/mha/

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that program. I'll have to read more into it.

If you think that Occ med could be more interesting to you than clinical medicine...consider RAM (residency of aerospace medicine). I would have considered it strongly if I hadn't matched to PM&R. It doesn't translate very well to the civilian sector...but it could potentially keep your military career afloat (if you can learn to pass the PRT).

I agree with this advise. If you aren't necessarily clinically inclined, occupational or preventative medicine are two fields that would fit right up your alley. It's a mostly managerial/administrative job without the same inanity of being a GMO/battalion surgeon.

Brief update: Went on a leave of absence for a couple months, worked with a mental health professional who helped me realize that I was completely burnt out and just needed some time off, went back to internship and worked my ass off with a renewed passion for medicine, and today I'm starting my last rotation as an intern (elective in Radiology). Every attending I've worked with in the last few months has been hugely impressed with the quality of my work and the change in my attitude. I'll graduate in 29 days (counting the days at this point). Can't believe I almost walked away from this career! Thanks to everybody who posted advice, notably those who recommended not doing anything hasty.

For anyone in similar shoes that happens across this thread, my sage advice is to chill out, talk to your program director about getting some time off, think very very very hard about your future, realize that there isn't much you can do with a medical degree without post-graduate training, talk things over with anybody that will listen (preferrably one of those people will be trained in CBT), and only make a decision about your future after you have taken at least 90 days to ponder the consequences of your decision. That is what I did, and I'm so happy now. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 3 users
Good to hear. Being burnt out is unfortunately something that is incredibly common in medicine.