GMO assignments HELP Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not get selected for GME this time. I'm currently a PGY I transitional and would like to match into radiology or pathology the next time around. I would really appreciate some advice from those that did GMOs...particulary the 1 year hardship tours (Korea especially)...how did you make yourself more competitive the next time around? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Things that can be done:

-Make sure that you have outstanding evaluations from your tour. This can be hard because a lot of what you do during your GMO tour will not be related to your area of interest, let alone related to medicine. This allows you to maximize your points related to GMO tours. Can be especially helpful if you make important contacts...like Flag officers.

-Keep in touch with the program directors of the programs that you are interested in. Interview before you leave....rotate with them before you leave...arrange leave to come back and rotate during your tour.

-Academic qualifications are something that unfortunately cannot be changed.

-Pray that next time around there is a projected need for that specialty...and that the rest of the applicants are less qualified than you.

-Final option...do your time and get out...of course working on a civilian match while you do your time.

Military MD's second item cannot be emphasized enough. Make sure the program director at the program of your choice knows who you are and wants you at his program. This is huge, and stay in touch, do not let him forget who you are.
Wherever you go to do a GMO tour, there should be a DOD hospital. Go to that department and volunteer some time to rotate, research, etc. Get to know the active duty people in your specialty, find out who they know and make use of the contacts. Scores, grades, etc are set at this point, but who you know can make a big difference, especially in a very competitive field like Radiology.

If you do a one year hardship tour, you must begin very early, and this can be difficult. You need to strike a balance between being essential and **** hot at your new command while rapidly finding time to go get face-time at the local hospital. A tough balance to strike. Since you said Korea, I assume you are Army, so I don' t have much advice specifically. All of the people I know in the Navy who did one year tours in Okinawa returned to the specialty of their choice, but all were very well qualified and had laid the ground work for their return before they even left. Good luck.
DD