GMO to CIVLANT (residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeanWormer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an IM PGY1 then 2 yr GMO on ship then 2 yr GMO clinic. I have 1 yr of my 2 yr clinic tour left and will be getting out 2007.

Any ideas how we get our PGY-1 internship evals, and LORs we want and endorsements sent to our residency programs?

How have any of you planned to deal with the pay cut? Is it possible to make some money off our GMo skills at urgent cares, etc or moonlight while in residency?

I'm going into psych but spent 4 years as basically a glorified PA in GMo land.

I'm nervous about the transition and didn't opt for the GI Bill like an ass. I was told residency wasn't covered back in 2002 when I came on AD.

I though reserves but that means active duty these days...no way dude.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DeanWormer said:
I did an IM PGY1 then 2 yr GMO on ship then 2 yr GMO clinic. I have 1 yr of my 2 yr clinic tour left and will be getting out 2007.

Any ideas how we get our PGY-1 internship evals, and LORs we want and endorsements sent to our residency programs?

Get a list together of your prospective LOR writers. Give them advance notice. If a rotation eval can help them refresh their memory, then send one to them. Make it as easy and simple for them as you can. But above all, start early.

DeanWormer said:
How have any of you planned to deal with the pay cut? Is it possible to make some money off our GMo skills at urgent cares, etc or moonlight while in residency?

Cut your expenses. Get a little savings together for a buffer. Talk to residents where you think you will be training to get an idea about living costs so that you can make up a budget. Moonlighting is usually up to the PD or Dean of the institution where you are training. Be sure you are able to qualify for a state license (some states--about 8--require 2 years of residency training, and 2 states require three); also be sure of your malpractice coverage and tail coverage for any moonlighting.

I knew people who moonlit. You can make some money that way. The best strategy is one you have already learned, better to ask forgiveness than permission, and keep it below boards. The pay cut is easy to deal with.
Where are you doing Psych?

DeanWormer said:
I'm going into psych but spent 4 years as basically a glorified PA in GMo land.

I'm nervous about the transition and didn't opt for the GI Bill like an ass. I was told residency wasn't covered back in 2002 when I came on AD.

I though reserves but that means active duty these days...no way dude.

Thanks

I signed up for GI Bill (we were allowed to sign up late after writing a statement saying that we were not counseled that residency was an eligible application of GI Bill benefits; I wrote the check as a lump sum buy-in when I did my separation checkout). I did reserves, too, but that was before the present op-tempo. I say avoid it now as you want to be as low profile as you can. IRR, not drilling Ready Reserve. Remember to request to resign ASAP, before you actually reach the end of your 8-year reserve term.

orbitsurgMD said:
Get a list together of your prospective LOR writers. Give them advance notice. If a rotation eval can help them refresh their memory, then send one to them. Make it as easy and simple for them as you can. But above all, start early.

Cut your expenses. Get a little savings together for a buffer. Talk to residents where you think you will be training to get an idea about living costs so that you can make up a budget. Moonlighting is usually up to the PD or Dean of the institution where you are training. Be sure you are able to qualify for a state license (some states--about 8--require 2 years of residency training, and 2 states require three); also be sure of your malpractice coverage and tail coverage for any moonlighting.

I knew people who moonlit. You can make some money that way. The best strategy is one you have already learned, better to ask forgiveness than permission, and keep it below boards. The pay cut is easy to deal with.
Where are you doing Psych?

I signed up for GI Bill (we were allowed to sign up late after writing a statement saying that we were not counseled that residency was an eligible application of GI Bill benefits; I wrote the check as a lump sum buy-in when I did my separation checkout). I did reserves, too, but that was before the present op-tempo. I say avoid it now as you want to be as low profile as you can. IRR, not drilling Ready Reserve. Remember to request to resign ASAP, before you actually reach the end of your 8-year reserve term.

UTMB (Austin) Tx....

I tried the Gi Bill lump sum and they denied me..they said too many docs were doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
WHAT benefits would i get from the gi bill while in residency?

jacoby said:
WHAT benefits would i get from the gi bill while in residency?
About a $1000 per month stipend for up to 36 months (last I heard).

about a grand per month. is there any obligation w/ the gi bill? i don't think so. how much is the buy in? do i just talk to a finance office or do i have to go through some communist loophole and kiss some COL's ass? i am guessing the later.

DeanWormer said:
UTMB (Austin) Tx....

I tried the Gi Bill lump sum and they denied me..they said too many docs were doing it.

Austin?

I thought UTMB was in Galveston. The original UT medical school.

Too many physicians signing up lump sum. This has been a problem for over 10 years where physicians, as med students, go through OIS and do not sign up for the GI bill because it thought to pay for education i.e. college, not training. This can be pursued through your administration. I had one person do it through active duty channels. You could also discuss this with your local VA representative.

DeanWormer said:
UTMB (Austin) Tx....

Did you appeal this decision? If "too many docs" are doing lump sum, it is because the docs aren't educated on the benefits upfront (which is a problem with the VA, not the docs). When I went on AD, I was erroneously told I was ineligible for the GI bill due to a 2 yr ROTC scholarship, so I didn't sign up. During my separation briefings, I found out what I had been told was incorrect, so I appealed, and appealed again- finally they let me sign up lump sum 10 years later. When I signed up I paid something like 1800 in and now I am getting something like 32,000 back. I am using it in med school (and I am HPSP). It helps!

r90t said:
Too many physicians signing up lump sum. This has been a problem for over 10 years where physicians, as med students, go through OIS and do not sign up for the GI bill because it thought to pay for education i.e. college, not training. This can be pursued through your administration. I had one person do it through active duty channels. You could also discuss this with your local VA representative.

I was in the same boat no given good info and even sent a request to BCNR who stated they needed a third source to consider my claim.

The VA rep where would I find him/her while on AD and what should I tell him?

Do you radonc guys moonlight during residency?

JGL9802 said:
I'm Navy HPSP on a three year contract. I plan to fullfill it DMO and then get out. When can I sign up for this GI Bill? Is this something I do when I'm active duty or should I sign up for it now?

Go to PSD, dude...