go for the $$ or the experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WishBear22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose between a job which would give you good medical experience (as a vet tech.... so i would be working with animals instead of humans... but i would still be doing some interesting stuff), would you take it? Or would you take the job which has nothing to do with medicine but pays over $10,000 - $15,000 more?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the nothing-to-do-with-medicine-job interesting? Are you in the process of applying right now? How much clinical experience do you have? What are your stats?

The other job is teaching middle school math. I am applying to medical school right now, so I'm thinking I should take the job that is going to give me some more medical experience (i.e. the one with a lot less money...). As far as clinical experience goes, I have volunteered off and on in hospitals since high school. I am an engineering major, and therefore my research expereince is more engineering than clinical/medically related. My stats are probably lower than average: 31Q MCAT, 3.45 gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
WishBear22 said:
The other job is teaching middle school math. I am applying to medical school right now, so I'm thinking I should take the job that is going to give me some more medical experience (i.e. the one with a lot less money...). As far as clinical experience goes, I have volunteered off and on in hospitals since high school. I am an engineering major, and therefore my research expereince is more engineering than clinical/medically related. My stats are probably lower than average: 31Q MCAT, 3.45 gpa.

That is one of the dumbest things I have heard on here. 31 is not below average...last I checked it was above the matriculating average. 3.45 as an engineer is damn good. Take the $$...you have some clinical experience, no worries :)

I think teaching middle school math is more relevant to human medicine than treating animals. But then again I imagine being a vet tech has a lot more interesting things in it.

Absolutely go with the more paying one. A vet tech isn't to much to do with humans, and you already have done enough with clinical to be covered. Go for the cash because you probably won't have that much once you marticulate.

Your stats are golden, and i think teaching is far better experience.

Dude, go with the money, of course. Dude...

fullefect1 said:
Absolutely go with the more paying one. A vet tech isn't to much to do with humans, and you already have done enough with clinical to be covered. Go for the cash because you probably won't have that much once you marticulate.