Going to finally apply. What should I focus on in the next 12 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally getting my act together. Applying to DO schools next summer (2016). I know I have to do a lot of work in the next 12 months to make my application competitive.

About me: 23 now. Applying next summer and will be 24.
Undergrad: Biology; Cum GPA: 3.39; Science GPA: 3.18
MS Medical Physiology (current): 3.0; doing this online while I work full-time.
Took the MCAT twice (2013 and 2014), 25 both times.
1300 Hours experience an ER my senior year of undergrad.

After I graduated (in 2014), I worked in a healthcare consulting firm for 6 months. Hated being in cubicle prison. Accepted a new position in a healthcare start up as a project manager. Each week, I travel the country to teach pharmacists and pharm technicians in hospitals how to use our software. I study for my classes on planes, hotels rooms, etc. Yes, I know that I took on too much because I am struggling to find the time to do well at school and at work.

My plan for the next 12 months:
1. Get As in all my grad classes for the next year. Its a two year program so next year is my final year.
2. Retake MCAT: I took the MCAT while I was in undergrad and studied a decent amount, but I believe I could do better because I am much more serious (and I've grown up a bit) about going to med school. I have this summer off from school, so thinking of spending the summer studying and take MCAT in fall or winter. However, since I have already taken it twice, I'm a little hesistant to take it one more time since schools will see all my scores.
3. Will be moving to Texas in the next year to gain Texas residency. My number one choice is TCOM. My significant other and I are pretty serious, and we discussed a plan for job transfers/acquiring new jobs down in Texas because we both would like to establish a life there.

I LOVE medicine and find physiology SO interesting. I am always telling my significant other, coworkers, etc, all of the interesting things I learn in my classes. I've wanted to be a doctor since high school, but now I think I've matured enough to make it a reality.

So my question for all of you is given my mediocre resume, what would you advice I do in the next 12 months to become a competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Read this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...p-process-2015-edition.1134362/#post-16457926

Finally getting my act together. Applying to DO schools next summer (2016). I know I have to do a lot of work in the next 12 months to make my application competitive.

About me: 23 now. Applying next summer and will be 24.
Undergrad: Biology; Cum GPA: 3.39; Science GPA: 3.18
MS Medical Physiology (current): 3.0; doing this online while I work full-time.
Took the MCAT twice (2013 and 2014), 25 both times.
1300 Hours experience an ER my senior year of undergrad.

After I graduated (in 2014), I worked in a healthcare consulting firm for 6 months. Hated being in cubicle prison. Accepted a new position in a healthcare start up as a project manager. Each week, I travel the country to teach pharmacists and pharm technicians in hospitals how to use our software. I study for my classes on planes, hotels rooms, etc. Yes, I know that I took on too much because I am struggling to find the time to do well at school and at work.

My plan for the next 12 months:
1. Get As in all my grad classes for the next year. Its a two year program so next year is my final year.
2. Retake MCAT: I took the MCAT while I was in undergrad and studied a decent amount, but I believe I could do better because I am much more serious (and I've grown up a bit) about going to med school. I have this summer off from school, so thinking of spending the summer studying and take MCAT in fall or winter. However, since I have already taken it twice, I'm a little hesistant to take it one more time since schools will see all my scores.
3. Will be moving to Texas in the next year to gain Texas residency. My number one choice is TCOM. My significant other and I are pretty serious, and we discussed a plan for job transfers/acquiring new jobs down in Texas because we both would like to establish a life there.

I LOVE medicine and find physiology SO interesting. I am always telling my significant other, coworkers, etc, all of the interesting things I learn in my classes. I've wanted to be a doctor since high school, but now I think I've matured enough to make it a reality.

So my question for all of you is given my mediocre resume, what would you advice I do in the next 12 months to become a competitive applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
Read it. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, if you have not read Goro's excellent ms application tips digest on that page, do it now.
This is exactly the kind of thing that makes SDN valuable and standout. People need sound, practical guidance.
Very much appreciated Goro! :)

I have read it, and deduced that I need to retake MCAT and kick butt.